View Diary: The biggest stumbling block for Republicans this fall is that they are Republicans (247 comments)

•  I wrote about this yesterday (7+ / 0-)

and I think it is critical in talking about voter enthusiasm.  And it is being largely missed.

When ABC polled about voter enthusiasm, they found no gap between Democrats and Republicans.  But Pew and Gallup ask about their enthusiasm relative to prior years which is a very different question.

That is quite a difference in question wording, and I wonder if comparing to prior years is really a better metric than just asking people about how enthusiastic they are.

I kind of doubt it.

The bitter truth of deep inequality has been disguised by an era of cheap imported goods and the anyone-can-make-it celebrity myth - Polly Toynbee

by fladem on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:27:03 AM PDT

•  I do think the age breakdown (1+ / 0-)
      pamelabrown

remains relevant, though.

see the stuff on indies you asked for from the waPo?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:41:30 AM PDT

•  Agreed. I've been saying the same thing (0+ / 0-)

we need to energize the millions of young people that came out for the 2008 election.  We need to tell them that this mid-term is just as much important as it was 2 years ago.

How do we do this?

"My voice just echos off these walls...." -- NIN

by MotherTrucker on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:01:59 AM PDT

•  how, indeed (0+ / 0-)

tha'ts the million dollar question.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:13:17 AM PDT

•  good luck.. 25% unemployment in that age group.. (1+ / 0-)
        Odysseus

even higher among blacks.

In addition, Independents will not vote Dem this year.  a lot of them have moved to the right.. look at the polls.

I disagree with the premise of the story.  Just because enthusiasm for the Repubs is low doesn't mean people won't vote for them.  It comes down to a "who do I like the least?" or "Do I want the Dems to fuck things up even more for the next 2 years?" - because voters DO blame the Dems (rightly or wrongly) and they believe Obama doesn't have a handle on spending (or really a handle on much of anything).

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - G. Marx

by Skeptical Bastard on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:15:42 AM PDT

•  This is what I don't get. Why would (4+ / 0-)

anyone who is young and unemployed vote Republican when the Republicans are the ones who A) screwed up the economy B) sent jobs overseas C) Voted against unemployment again and again and D) called the unemployed 'lazy' and 'drug-addicted'?

Why?  Again, it all comes down to message.

Anyone thinking that the very people who are keeping the young and minorities in poverty are going to somehow magically make it all better once they get the vote is insane!

Yet we are losing!  To these clowns.

"My voice just echos off these walls...." -- NIN

by MotherTrucker on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:24:36 AM PDT

•  they won't vote Repub.. they just won't vote. (1+ / 0-)
            MotherTrucker

The young and minorities and Independents gave Obama (and all the Dems that road in on that train) the ictories in '08.

Those people are not voting this year.  You cannot "energize" them.. They are pretty disgusted.

by Skeptical Bastard on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:42:34 AM PDT

•  Cannot or will not? (2+ / 0-)
              Odysseus, AgentOfProgress

I don't accept this false 'victory' anymore than anyone should.

They only win if we sit back and let them.

"My voice just echos off these walls...." -- NIN

by MotherTrucker on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:49:23 AM PDT

•  I didn't say people won't vote for them (1+ / 0-)
              MotherTrucker

I said they'll do less well than they would if people actually liked them (which they demonstrably don't.)

The other premise is that a less enthusiatic vote counts as much as an enthusiastic one. But right now, the numbers favor the Rs any way you slice it.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 11:37:04 AM PDT

•  If President Obama proposes a HUGE jobs (2+ / 0-)
        AgentOfProgress, nellgwen

program for young people like the Civilian Conservation Corps that FDR created during the Great Depression era, young voters will flock to the polls in historic numbers.

The incentive would be that if Republicans win seats in November, they will block the program.

Read Teixeira's 2010 report, and see why the GOP is done.

by Georgeo57 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:44:28 AM PDT

•  I dunno, but it could still be a problem (1+ / 0-)
      AgentOfProgress

For example, if fewer African Americans head to the polls than when Obama was on the ballot in 2008, that still hurts us.  Of course, we won in 2006 without Obama, so I dunno.

•  What do they find when they limit the question (0+ / 0-)

to enthusiasm without reference to past years?

Read Teixeira's 2010 report, and see why the GOP is done.

by Georgeo57 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:41:27 AM PDT