View Diary: The biggest stumbling block for Republicans this fall is that they are Republicans (247 comments)

•  How Have They Earned Votes? (9+ / 0-)

Especially the votes of independents? There is not one thing that they can hang their hat on and say, "We did it", to make voters want to put them in power. Nothing.

The Modern GOP: A holy pwned subsidiary of the Tea Party.

by The Lone Apple on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:28:29 AM PDT

•  which 'they'? (1+ / 0-)
      The Lone Apple

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:42:08 AM PDT

•  I was wondering this myself. They (R's) keep (3+ / 0-)

claiming victory on something that I'm not really convinced they actually won.

I mean, they are claiming to be the victors here, yet all I see is an empty "Mission Accomplished" banner with no actions that actually prove their victory.

"My voice just echos off these walls...." -- NIN

by MotherTrucker on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:05:12 AM PDT

•  Republicans are as delusional about winning big (1+ / 0-)
        AgentOfProgress

this November as they have been about climate change not presenting a problem and the Garden of Eden being factual.

Read Teixeira's 2010 report, and see why the GOP is done.

by Georgeo57 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:48:44 AM PDT

•  It's standard GOP psychological warfare (1+ / 0-)
        Odysseus

Declare victory before the smoke even clears.

I still remember November 2000, when one of the standard GOP talking points in the days after the election was "Why doesn't Gore concede?! He clearly lost and it's just sour grapes!" In December, there were TV ads for "commemorative coins" in honor of Bush's "presidential victory".

By declaring victory early, you get to claim a win and cast any doubters as "sore losers". And when the truth comes out that you actually lost, you get to play the victim and rail against the underhanded shenanigans that stole your victory.

GOP SOP.

•  A decent argument. Too bad Dems aren't making it. (4+ / 0-)

Democrats have no fucking idea how to defend their majority. It doesn';t help that Obama screwed them by neglecting jobs and foreclosures while focusing on HCR and FinSecR--two bills that have created zero jobs.

•  The problem is the economy (0+ / 0-)

Until the economy improves, the Democrats will be in trouble.  If the Republicans take over, and the economy still doesn't improve, then they will be in trouble as well.

•  Don't expect a battle before the right time. (1+ / 0-)
        AgentOfProgress

Voters pay attention to an election AFTER Labor Day.  Once Democrats remind voters how and why the Republican Party destroyed their economy, Republican candidates all over the Country will get TROUNCED.

Read Teixeira's 2010 report, and see why the GOP is done.

by Georgeo57 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:50:43 AM PDT

•  The problem with that argument is... (1+ / 0-)
          Odysseus

...that the Dems have had near total-control of the Federal government for two years and the economy still sucks.  Now, part of the reason it still sucks is that the Republicans still have a semi-veto due to the filibuster (therefore making the stimulous smaller than it should have been, for instance), but that's too complicated a message to convey to the average voter.

•  It's a nice idea, but it wasn't necessary to lose (1+ / 0-)
          Odysseus

20 points in job approval and 15 points in the generic congressional polling was it? Why not JUST BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THESE ASSHOLES WHEN YOU'VE GOT 'EM DOWN AND OUT?

•  They haven't.. except by voting "No". (2+ / 0-)
      Geotpf, The Lone Apple

Most people around here make fun of Repubs as being the "party of No".  I have been saying for months that the GOP will proudly wear that mantle.

No to deficit spending.
      No to restrictive health care regs  (whether you agree that they are or not)
      No to Cap and Trade which is a tax on working people
      No to financial reform that does not include the mess that is Fannie and Freddie

A lot of voters may not be comfortable with obstruction by them, but they are also not happy with the direction of Obama and the Dems... this especially applies to independents that tend to be more informed.  (I am one)

So, they will hold their nose and vote for Repubs rather than than the Dems.  It is hard for progressives to understand that a lot of voters would rather have nothing done in Washington rather than what they perceive as overreaching.  But, I believe, that is exactly the case this year.  We'll see.  I could be wrong... turnout is what will matter.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - G. Marx

by Skeptical Bastard on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 10:39:40 AM PDT

•  indeed (1+ / 0-)
        Geotpf

turnout is what will matter.

Overreaching is a funny thing, since there's so little evidence for it. But it's not what conservatives and Republicans think, it's what indies think.

OTOH, I think complaints and claims that there's overreaching really aren't well founded and it's hard to point to examples (health care isn't one becasue people actualy like indivual provisions.) I think it's more a vague "I don't like where things are" tied to the economy, IMHO.

I say that because in question after question, voters favor the D position (immigration being an exception when worded as "do you like AZ's approach" but not being an exception when you include comprehensive reform in the polling,lw hich people favor.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 11:08:47 AM PDT

•  I think there is evidence.. (0+ / 0-)

Cap and trade?  Most people want a comprehensive energy policy.  We have none.  Why?  Because of overreaching by progressives who insist on punishing people for using dirty energy rather than a bill that positively moves us forward toward a greener future.  That one is my personal gripe, and I blame Dems for holding things up.  (I also blame Repubs for simply ignoring things for years.. but I'm very unhappy about energy being ignored for the last year and a half.)

And, like you said, the Dems are on the wrong side of the immigration issue as far as the voting public is concerned.

Budget.. Dems simply don't care anymore about even passing a budget, much less sticking to the one they are working under.  You wouldn't call it overreaching how the Dems simply ignore PayGo?  Or overreaching that they passed a 1.5 Trillion deficit?  How can Dems continue to blame the Bush deficits of $400 Billion/year for the crappy economy while passing budgets with 3 times the amount of deficits?

Fiscally conservative independents, like myself, look at that and think they are simply out of control.  It's that simple.  That said, I don't relish a return to Repubs being in charge.  I really long for a third or even fourth party.  I frankly don't know how I will vote this year the choices are so crappy.

by Skeptical Bastard on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 11:56:07 AM PDT

•  well... (0+ / 0-)

"How much more "tame" did the health care bill end up being than what progressives wanted?"

that's underreaching ;-)

if you are saying it's what (some, but not all) progressives wanted and you're not talking about actual Obama proposals, i see your point.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 12:11:31 PM PDT

• Climate Change (29)
  • Education (24)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Science (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site