View Diary: Who is Elizabeth Warren? (317 comments)

•  Your signature implies that you will not (2+ / 0-)
    askew, Dom9000

support Obama until he handles the issue that you want. There is a lot to be done. I'd like the ERA in the Consitution. It is not going to happen until decades after I am dead.

Right now, the top 1% is causing the bottom ?? % to lose a place to live (owners AND RENTERS) cars, phones, and food. Feeding children, educating them, turning them into progressives is rather important. Good if their parents had a job, too.

Jonathan Alter- "The Promise" Obamas' first year. If we didn't get everything, this is why!

by CuriousBoston on Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 10:37:26 AM PDT

•  I won't vote for someone who turns a blind eye... (2+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy, BlueDragon

...to torture. No. Never. And much as I hate to be a single-issue voter, that is a matter of conscience for me. A lot of other things I can accept trade-offs on, but not that. No. Just. No.

I'm sure some women are equally adamant about not voting for a forced-pregnancy candidate. I don't judge them.

As for your top 1%, Obama isn't doing anything about that, either. The gap between rich and poor continues to grow. He supported TARP and reappointed the man who gave trillions of dollars to Wall Street and yet did nothing much for homeowners. Ever hear of cramdown? Apparently Obama hasn't, either.

In fact, Bernanke testified in his confirmation hearing that price stability id the prime mission of the Fed. That is incorrect. It is full employment. So please don't tell me that your heart bleeds for the bottom "??%." You support Obama. And he picked Bernanke. And Geithner. And Summers.

And, just by the way, what do you think Obama is going to do to Social Security, having stacked his hand-picked panel with people who have been trying to kill Social Security for years? When he gets a Republican-written Social Security "reform" bill, do you think he will veto it?

Dump Obama: So immoral and unethical that he ignores his legal obligation to prosecute people who tortured prisoners to death. Good at photo ops, though.

by expatjourno on Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 12:12:10 PM PDT

•  so you would not vote for anyone who ever won? (0+ / 0-)

Because Clinton, Carter, LBJ and JFK all turned blind eyes to torture.

The Republicans did not - they actively approved it.

•  That's right. But I didn't know. (1+ / 0-)
          BlueDragon

I know now.

MOREVER, Obama has actively and publicly abetted torture. When the former VP can go on national television and says he had that guy (Khalid Sheikh Mohammed) waterboarded and not get hit with an indictment, we have entered new territory, I think.

Can you think of an example of that happening before? Someone, doesn't have to be the former VP, going on national television saying he had someone tortured and there being no legal consequences?

I don't think so.

Obama has, in fact, promoted torture as a policy option. Sure, he says it's wrong and says his administration won't permit it. But he ensures that the Bush-Cheney crimes will be repeated by claiming that prosecuting anyone for torture would just be backward-looking "retribution."

by expatjourno on Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 01:25:20 PM PDT

•  i remember Colin Powell becoming Sec of State (1+ / 0-)
            expatjourno

after being exposed as complicit in efforts to cover up the massacre of hundreds of people at MyLai. I remember William Colby becoming head of the CIA after murdering and torturing thousands of people in the Mekong delta.

I'm living in America, though. You're apparently living somewhere where there are better choices.

•  I remember Powell and My Lai. (1+ / 0-)
              BlueDragon

At least there were trials of SOME of the people involved in the murders. Medina got off, IIRC, but Calley went to prison. Imperfect justice, but at least the attempt was made. Obama thinks it's wrong to even do that.

I don't remember it being so cut and dried with Colby. I certainly don't recall him going on national television and saying, "Sure, we tortured those guys."

I do vaguely remember reading in some liberal magazine about Colby, and of course I believe it (as I believe the CNN story, Operation Tailwind).

But I think we have reached a new low when you have one administration torturing people to death and the next administration not only not prosecuting, as required by the supreme law of the land (i.e., a ratified treaty),  but trying to marginalize people who advocate prosecution. Obama thinks that people like me are backward looking "folks" just looking for retribution.

I find that offensive.

Yes, I do live where there are better choices. The worst major party in the country where I live, the most conservative one, is far, far better (more liberal) than the Democratic Party in the U.S. on pretty much every issue. Europe is like that.

A really terrible thing has happened to the U.S. When someone like Obama can be praised by liberals for "transforming the country," I think it's passed a tipping point. I don't see any way out for the U.S.

I'll vote (though not for Obama) and I'll contribute to specific candidates who share my values (or enough of them), and I will hope I'm wrong about the future.

You and I may disagree about Obama, but I think we'd want most of the same things for the country -- affordable health care, a more equitable distribution of wealth, sustainable environmental policies, peace, civil rights for all, and so on. I think most of the people here, whichever side they are on when it comes to Obama, also want most of the same things for the country. And if there is hope, it's because of all these people working for these goals in different ways.

by expatjourno on Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 02:00:25 PM PDT

•  right the Calley was convicted (0+ / 0-)

Just like in Abu Ghraib, they busted the low level people. If that's enough to make you happy, you should be happy.

•  I didn't say it made me happy, did I? (0+ / 0-)

It's just a fuckofalot more than Obama will even attempt.

by expatjourno on Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 02:13:32 PM PDT

•  the low level torture guys were already (0+ / 0-)

convicted. nothing to do.

"rule of law" restored to normal.

•  Nope. Not even that. (0+ / 0-)

You really ought to acquaint yourself with the basic facts.

by expatjourno on Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 02:24:25 PM PDT