View Diary: If one voice can change a room... (290 comments)

•  And, what about a communications strategy... (10+ / 0-)

...that "features" BOTH positive stories AND "gloom and doom" realities, instead of just alienating folks suffering on Main Street by focusing exclusively upon the former?

I can assure you that, (based upon 30 years experience doing Democratic media, but it's still only my opinion), properly implemented (and that's the critical part of the matter), it would be far, far, far more effective for the Party than the strategy that's in place now.

A communications strategy that simply "accentuates the positive" does not--and is not because of economic realities--resonating on Main Street.

A balanced strategy would be far more effective, IMHO, for the Party right now.

And, I will disclose something here: I've always been of the opinion that "the client" (i.e.: Obama) was so talented, he always made his p.r. agents/handlers look better at their craft than they, in fact, are/were.

It's because of these truths, IMHO, that I think MUCH of the name-calling and divisiveness--while it makes for better "theater"--actually undermines what would be a far more effective strategy for us, overall.

"Gloom and doom" diaries and positive diaries, both reflecting reality, would serve our Party's goals more effectively, and at the same time, make for a slightly more boring (some would call it more SANE) level of discourse within this community, too.

The two schools of thought are far LESS mutually exclusive than many here might realize, IMHO.

My only "issue" is, whether it's "happy news" or "gloom and doom," it should be reality-based...ALWAYS.

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:04:26 PM PDT

•  You don't speak for Main Street (13+ / 0-)

and have no right to presume that they are alienated by hard core Dem partisans celebrating achievements on a blog.

Speak for yourself!

climate.gov---POTUS' New Science-Based Climate Change Agency

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:13:44 PM PDT

•  I only speak for myself...so other than that... (7+ / 0-)

...what's your point?

My point, IMHO, is that the "things would be worse if we gave the keys to the other side" meme resonates far less than, "I'd like to provide another $500 billion in stimulus to Main Street, but the Republicans are blocking us" meme. And, no, we're getting the "Republicans are blocking us meme out there, but you add the first part of the sentence to the MAIN talking point, and you'll lose some votes on the right, but the whole divisiveness issue within OUR party, along with the matter RESONATING much more effectively on Main Street, would go away.

So, instead, today we have: "Let's tighten our belts, cut the deficit, and the Republicans are blocking us on Unemployment Insurance meme."

Everyone's "threading a needle," communications-wise, right now. And, the economic realities on Main Street are still trumping the Dems at the moment. (And, whether you're willing to accept this as fact or not, the TRUTH is, the Gallup Poll on GENERIC thumbs-up/thumbs-down on Dem's in congress, means nothing in late July during a mid-term year.)

But, of course, I only speak for myself! For whom do you speak?

by bobswern on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:27:46 PM PDT

•  Except that's not true (17+ / 0-)

There are "fiscal conservatives" within this party who had trouble okaying landmark, historical stimulus, and don't want to okay another one.  Those are simply the facts.  So why come into a motivational diary designed to strengthen Dem majorities so as to improve this situation, with Debbie Downerism?  As someone points out below, you are no better aware of the facts than anyone else here, and no more desirous of an end to fiscal conservatism than many people here.

I'm looking at those charts and coming to a conclusion: life is better under Dems.  No one is claiming that things are perfect or fixed.  This is the same debate, over, and over, and over, and over again.  At what point will you merely accept that it is perfectly legitimate for Dems to choose to self-motivate on a Democratic blog?

climate.gov---POTUS' New Science-Based Climate Change Agency

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:31:55 PM PDT

•  We can never win with the naysayers. (11+ / 0-)

First they complain that people aren't motivated.  Then, they come to a thread designed to motivate people and complain about it.  What does bobswern know about motivating people when he's almost always negative?

It's really stupid to make promises that we likely can't keep because of Republican and Blue Dog resistance, so that kind of 'messaging' is silly.  I think those charts speak for themselves.

Oba-MA bumaye! Oba-MA bumaye!

by fou on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 05:00:34 PM PDT

•  Nah, this isn't motivation. I've met motivation, (0+ / 0-)

I'm very, very close to motivation, and this ain't it.

Then, they come to a thread designed to motivate people

A handrail for two steps down from the front porch is required, yet oil companies aren't required to drill relief wells along with the main well. Ummm.

by gooderservice on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 06:32:55 PM PDT

•  Well THAT was rude. (2+ / 0-)
        Meteor Blades, ChocolateChris

I see bobswern making an honest overture and this is your response?

Way to go........maybe you could use a defintion of graciousness?

1. Characterized by kindness and warm courtesy.
        1. Characterized by tact and propriety: responded to the insult with gracious humor.
        1. Of a merciful or compassionate nature.
        1. Condescendingly courteous; indulgent.
        1. Characterized by charm or beauty; graceful.
        1. Characterized by elegance and good taste: gracious living.
        1. Archaic Enjoying favor or grace; acceptable or pleasing

In other words, when someone holds out a concilatory hand, you don't slap it away.

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity nothing beats teamwork." - Mark Twain

by ohmyheck on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 07:59:01 PM PDT

•  We need (20+ / 0-)

Both good and bad truths.  Having just one without the other lacks balance.

The fact that there is bad news out there does not obviate the need to report on what is good, and vice versa.

We need to know what's wrong so we can fix it, but we also need to know what's right so that we can maintain our hope and our energy.

If you don't see some light at the end of the tunnel, it's too easy to give up.  We're all well aware, however, that we are IN the tunnel.  I don't think that fact has escaped any of us.

"Anybody who desperately wants to believe lies will not even notice the truth standing next to them wearing a big red neon sign." - Keith Olbermann

by Diogenes2008 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:18:50 PM PDT

•  That's what annoys me, the presumption (11+ / 0-)

Thanks for saying this.  It makes the decision to come into a motivational diary with demands that we dwell on facts with which we're well-aware very high-handed and presumptuous.

climate.gov---POTUS' New Science-Based Climate Change Agency

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:21:23 PM PDT

•  I'm not assuming anything about bobswern (9+ / 0-)

I'm sure he's doing what he feels is right.

That said, we do need to have both the good and the bad news.... and there is the possibility that some just don't realize that.

I think we all need to communicate better, and assume less... I've made an "ass" of myself a few times because I assumed I knew what someone else was thinking.  :)  And I'll probably do it again... but I'm trying!!  Honest!!  Really!!  LOL

by Diogenes2008 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:25:19 PM PDT

•  Your comment in this thread w/me actually... (4+ / 0-)

...does more to support what I'm saying than you might realize, IMHO.

I happen to like the diarist's photo diaries. And, I know that would be difficult for many seeing me making that statement to understand. (In fact, some in this community like to put my sentiments and those of this diarist on some imaginary "opposite ends of a spectrum.")

What I'm saying is that my sentiments and those of this diary's author are both equally as compelling, and dare I say it, both are a lot more positive--in terms of motivating Democrats--than many in this community may realize.

Put another way, they're not mutually exclusive. And, they may be combined into one, over-arching message...by a supporter of the current administration.

It's easy to attempt to simplify things into black and white, or positive or negative, or happy news and "gloom and doom." And, I would also posit that it is that very mentality which is promoting party divisiveness moreso than most.

Furthermore, I'm a member of this community, and I happen to enjoy the diarist's photo diaries than many are willing to accept/acknowledge. And, if you realize that as a truth, then understanding the rest of what I'm saying becomes much easier to understand, too.

Admonishing me for "coming into this motivational diary" is an good example of what I'm saying, myself! (Great irony here, IMHO.)

I would argue that my posts are just as motivational, from a positive sense (for the overall good of the party) as these.

And, again, what I'm saying about my sentimnts and what this diarist is saying are not mutually exclusive, contrary to what you're inferring above and below my comment. (And, the fact that you think they may be mutually exclusive, is what's so ironic about it, again, in my opinion...which is, apparently, an opinion which you indicated "doesn't belong" in this diary.)

If you understand what I'm saying in this comment, then there's nothing to be contentious about.

If you're going to respond to me as you have--to many reading this--it just underscores my sentiments, too.

by bobswern on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 05:21:53 PM PDT

•  Then create your own space of (0+ / 1-)
            Hidden by:
            ohmyheck

Negativity, passiveness and destruction; we're not interested here; keep it moving!

climate.gov---POTUS' New Science-Based Climate Change Agency

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 06:45:32 PM PDT

•  Administration has to walk a tightrope (3+ / 0-)
            Terri, jonnie rae, sankofa

Too much doom and gloom messaging and consumer spending could collapse. When the consumer accounts for 70% of the economy (an historical return to 62% would be healthier) such a collapse could lead to a deflationary spiral.

Too much happy talk and households will not repair their balance sheets: pay down debt and increase their savings rate which had briefly gone negative pre credit bubble burst.

So far, so good. No consumer spending collapse and the household savings rate is improving.

From Marketwatch.com June 28, 2010

The savings rate rose to 4% from 3.8%. Households are saving three times as much out of their disposable incomes as they did just before the recession began in late 2007.

I think the messaging has been appropriate:

Don't panic - HT Douglas Adams

It's a long, long road - HT the Hollies

We're Americans, we can handle this together

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble ... Murray Head

by virginislandsguy on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 08:22:36 PM PDT

•  Well, I agree with almost everything you're... (7+ / 0-)
        ...but, I'm exposed to one side of this in many of my diaries, and I get the sense there are people in this community who do not think we're all "in the tunnel." But, I get "it" so much from "one side," I'd also say that my view is distorted. (The other side of that is that, whether folks here want to acknowledge it or not, my diaries are all heavily annotated. And, far too many commenters in my diaries disregard that in their comments. The commenting, of some, degenerates to the point--or in many instances, it starts off with--distortion...frequently, severe distortion and conflation.

The truth is there is more than one truth.

And, if you accept the fact that I'm a sincere Obama supporter--albeit one who is very critical of the current management of our economy--then the conversation is usually much more sane, from that point forward. But, more frequently than some may realize, that's not the conversation. And, the ones who don't accept that basic truth (about me), usually start of their comments with four-letter words and other comments like "troll," etc. Frankly, it's just shallow and irrelevant, in the overall scheme of....REALITY!

And, these are folks that conflate bad news about the economy--and the administration's inaction on some aspects of it, such as not pushing in public for a second stimulus but focusing upon addressing the deficit, instead--with anti-Obama sentiments. These are folks that get upset when one points out economic spin from economic reality.

And, yes, the administration is not publicly pushing for a second stimulus, and they are speaking publicly about managing the deficit, and that, IMHO, is not necessarily what would resonate most with Main Street.

It's a very "safe" communications strategy, but it's also a strategy which is, under the most generous of assessments, not a very powerful strategy.

by bobswern on Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 03:43:15 PM PDT

•  By the way (13+ / 0-)

I agree with this, and I appreciate your willingness to try to bridge the gap.

We need the harsh truths AND the good news.

And those who push too hard for one side or the other could maybe step back, and realize we're all on the same side here...

Right?  ;)