View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Van Jones (165 comments)

•  Here's where he has got it 100% (16+ / 0-)

correct :
    He talks about the hi-jacking of the blogoshphere by mass corporate media. The Fox News organization is expert at this. Read any of their paid bloggers and you see the message they spread and the comments associated with each posting draw on the very worst elements of human nature. To believe that so many unreasonable, intolerant, bigoted individuals, filled with hatred for their fellow human beings, actually exist, doesn't sit well with me.
    Further, try and post a something which contradicts the direction of their stories and you get moderated out.

There's more to this than meets the eye. Establishing bonafide positions through falsified peer group comments seems to be what the entire News Corp organization has been doing for a number of years.

"You Still drilling for oil? Well good luck, I mean it. Idiot. Shine, Baby, Shine." JR Ewing

by Unenergy on Fri Jul 23, 2010 at 11:31:28 PM PDT

•  Unenergy, (2+ / 0-)
      geez53, Unenergy

What do you think can be done to quell or stop Murdoch's war on thinking and progressives and democracy itself?

There is no more important struggle for American democracy than ensuring a diverse, independent and free media. - Bill Moyers

by StepLeftStepForward on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 02:32:00 AM PDT

•  No one silver bullet ........ (5+ / 0-)

But it helps to call them (Fox, Rush et al) out on it every time a coworker, neighbor etc. sites one of their lies. It's not hard to keep a mental list of 5, 10, 20 examples of how they completely mislead with out right falsehoods. Don't just let it pass and hope that someday they'll see the truth, it doesn't work that way.

Also keep in mind that there are always certain interests who are very happy to give the bigots and shallow brained a bull horn and/or bully pulpits to keep the unwashed fighting amongst ourselves.

Welcome to the Corporate States of America ®, give us your money, then die quietly.

by geez53 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 03:50:55 AM PDT

•  I agree with you with a caveat. (4+ / 0-)
          willibro, geez53, brein, Unenergy

I've just posted a couple of comments downthread to the effect that we need to try to reach out and listen to those who are reachable - the Unbrainwashed. The problem is that the Brainwashed don't like facts: they have a narrative and are sticking to it, no matter what. The only way to possibly reach any of them is to bring it down to the personal level, rather than the political.

I have no interaction with Republicans because I don't live in the States anymore and none of my friends or family are wingnuts (except two from high school on FB). So, I don't have much opportunity to interact with Americans on the opposite side of the fence.

I asked Unenergy, an Australian, that question because I know that he/she has a unique perspective on Murdoch's power and motives, and cares deeply about the damage he is doing. I believe he is waging a form of psychological terrorism. I am interested in Unenergy's response because I'm starting a mediaKos group and want to hear all input and insight in order to be as effective as we can.

Thank you for your comment.

by StepLeftStepForward on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 04:08:29 AM PDT

•  Good for you SLSF. (2+ / 0-)
            Unenergy, StepLeftStepForward

I agree 'psychological terrorism' is apt.  When it's on a scale this large though we may have to ramp up the term.

I want to fight our 'media' soooo bad and look forward to any insight and inspiration mediaKos can provide.  I informally brainstorm on it every couple days.

•  Please feel free to leave a comment in that (2+ / 0-)
              geez53, JordanRules

diary. For now, until we get some infrastructure for our group, we are using that as a place to brainstorm. Your ideas would be very appreciated. That applies to all Kossacks who are interested in the media's effect and power, in media reform, and in what Kossacks can do. The group is naturally open to all. My motto is for membership: To each according to his/her own interest, ability and time.

As for Murdoch and the extreme right's psychological terrorism on America: Having lived abroad since 1992, I think I and other foreigners can see it even better than most Americans. They made 'liberal' a dirty word, and now they are succeeding with 'progressive' and 'social justice'. When you have 'Christians' proclaiming that social justice is ruining the world, you know we're in trouble.

A Brit artist, Fletcher Crossman, had an amazing and thought-provoking art exhibition that could certainly have an effect on the way the 'average, apolotical Joe'.

h/t to KingOneEye, who diaried it, and the commenter who used the term 'psychological terrorism' (I wish I could remember who it was!). I use it every chance I get.

Cheers!

by StepLeftStepForward on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 04:27:55 AM PDT

•  Here's where I would start and then repeat this (5+ / 0-)

over and over :
        Build a map of Murdoch's network - his influence, where his assets are, how many papers he has, how many readers in each area, how many radio and TV assets, and make a special effort to look backwards at long formed alliances with organizations, individuals who also own media assets and play the same game.
        If you look at Australia for instance, not only does News Ltd own most of the daily newspapers, but it owns a large percentage of its only competitor, and in a state where it has few assets, Murdoch was instrumental in assisting another ideologue who owns much of the newspapers there (and a national TV station) establish his newspaper base.

Anyone who is genuinely concerned about 'Big Brother' or One World Government or media manipulation of the masses needs to be able to see how and who exactly is doing just that.

Whenever people like O'Reilly or the rest of the Fox crew put themselves on some sort of pedestal for ratings, it should be stressed that before Fox, never did a cable news outlet have to buy it's audience.

To accelerate its adoption by cable companies, Fox News paid systems up to $11 per subscriber to distribute the channel.

Remind people over and over again that Rupert Murdoch is a citizen of convenience, an Australian who changed nationality to come in and mess with the body politic in the USA.
        That the second largest owner of News Corp is a Saudi Arabian. In other words ownership of the organization is by foreign born individuals.
        That Fox gave you witch hunts and trivialities in your national politics when Bill Clinton was President
        That they gave you George W Bush, twice
        That they made sure the world went to war with Iraq.
        There are others, too numerous to mention

I think if a map of News Ltd assets and thus influence were widely distributed, all the pretentiousness of the anchors about some massive left-wing media conspiracy can be laid to rest.
        As they always do, Fox accuses their opponents of doing that which they are doing.

by Unenergy on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 04:39:42 AM PDT

•  Thank you for your comment. (3+ / 0-)
          Terri, brein, Unenergy

Do you know of any resources, organizations, contacts that already have done that map? I don't want to reinvent the wheel :-)

I could see your idea becoming a mediaKos subgroup effort - to focus fully on exposing and getting the word out about Murdoch,  News Corps' Saudi ownership. I plan to hit up KingOneEye for cooperation, of course. I'd like to get his blog some more exposure, for example.

If you know of any other sources already working on this, please feel free to add them to my diary, under the comment NEWS CORP/FAUX/MURDOCH, where I have just cut-and-pasted your very helpful comment.

Thanks, Unenergy!

by StepLeftStepForward on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 05:07:49 AM PDT

•  What I'd suggest is a good platform which (3+ / 0-)
            Terri, brein, StepLeftStepForward

can be used to crowd source what you are proposing called prezi.

I did start putting together something on the Australian media landscape about 6 months ago with a focus on News Limited, but it is simply too overwhelming for one person to do alone.

by Unenergy on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 08:27:14 AM PDT

•  That's cool. If I understand it right, (1+ / 0-)
              Unenergy

it's kind of like a web-savvy PowerPointesque tool. Looks good. I'll pass it on to our 'secretary'.

mediaKos is just starting and we've got some great ideas so far. My first diary didn't get much attention, but I'm thinking the next one will. And by then, we'll have some more concrete ideas and offers and proposals. If people want to form sub-groups, cool. Maybe you'll get some bees to help you out :-)

Thanks again. I hope you'll contribute somehow. Actually, you already have: with your suggestion. Cheers!

by StepLeftStepForward on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 09:11:12 AM PDT

•  should do a diary on this. important. nt (2+ / 0-)
          Unenergy, StepLeftStepForward

"Bigger change will come with bigger Democratic majorities. Diminishing Democratic accomplishments is a losing strategy." sja May Peace Prevail

by revgerry on Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 02:41:03 PM PDT