View Diary: Obama didn't merely defend the RIGHT to build the "mosque"... (127 comments)

•  Can you provide a link? (1+ / 0-)
    Sydserious

I have not heard anyone say they have the "right" to stop it. What I have heard is that people are saying investigate the cleric to prove something illegal to stop it...not summarily remove the license to build...

but I will wait for the link...

regardless...you created a strawmen.  Who is saying the President should say...build it there?

The site is selected.  The license is granted.  The location isn't in question.

He added is it wise.  Well, why add that. Now he has opened himself up to saying whether it is wise.  And I am not looking forward to the side he is about to come down on if forced, based on the polls.  I have seen this show before with FISA and offshore drilling.

"Ultimately, we need to move beyond the tired debates of the left and the right, between business leaders and environmentalists" - President Obama, March 31

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 08:39:04 PM PDT

•  www.google.com (2+ / 0-)
      Bonsai66, rennert

The exact phrase the previous poster used, brings this up as first hit.

I'm gonna go eat a steak. And fuck my wife. And pray to GOD - hatemailapalooza, 052210

by punditician on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 08:41:50 PM PDT

•  of course (0+ / 0-)

justmy2 has slunk away like a fucking coward on being called out ...

No Way, No How, No McCain (and where can I punch the next hippie - can't wait)

by nerdngeek on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:01:41 PM PDT

•  If I could HR a thread I am a part of... (0+ / 0-)

I would HR your ad hominem attack.

You should be ashamed of yourself, but I assume you are not.

Grow up.

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:34:37 PM PDT

•  do you even know what ad hominem means ? (1+ / 0-)
            QES

No Way, No How, No McCain (and where can I punch the next hippie - can't wait)

by nerdngeek on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:54:05 PM PDT

•  yup...and I misused it (0+ / 0-)

I should have stated "ad personem". It is late.

Now with that said, you should still stop acting immature. Not only were you wrong that I wasn't still responding in the thread, you cursed, attacked, and were wrong.

Quite a trifecta.

Instead of jumping into threads attacking, a much better idea would be to bring something to the table if you are going to join a discussion.

Trust me.  It works out much better.

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 10:30:29 PM PDT

•  And the answer is above in case (0+ / 0-)

you are interested in continuing to demonstrate your immaturity.

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:37:59 PM PDT

•  Did you watch what you posted? (1+ / 0-)
        greeseyparrot

Do you know what imminent domain is?

It has nothing to do with their right to build.  He is saying he will take it away using other laws...which is consistent with my point.

And your next attempt...I will be here all night...find someone who says it is unconstitutional to build since you are such a great googler.

Good luck.

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:37:15 PM PDT

•  eminent...not imminent... (0+ / 0-)

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:49:27 PM PDT

•  You're playing silly games (7+ / 0-)

Obama's reiteration of Constitutional principles was directly in response to people like Paladino saying they'll do things like "take it away [the land for the mosque] using other laws", as you say. He does NOT have the right to do that, through eminent OR imminent domain. There is no eminent domain right to seize one building 2 blocks away from the WTC and declare it a "war memorial" to stop a mosque from being built there.

This is not about people LITERALLY saying "they have no right to build the mosque". This is about people saying "we will stop the mosque from being built through any means necessary". Obama very clearly stated that THAT IS WRONG.

I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lie awake at night wondering if there's a dog.

by rennert on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 10:00:35 PM PDT

•  Two things (6+ / 0-)
      askew, Bonsai66, ETF, elginblt, Escamillo, JL
      1. Yes, people like Paladino have insisted they have the "right" to stop it. Paladino is running for Governor on a platform of stopping the mosque by seizing the land through "eminent domain." That seems to me a pretty definitive statement that he believes he'd have the "right" as governor to "stop the mosque".
      1. Obama did not "add" the question of whether it's wise or not. That was a question posed to him today by a reporter. Obama's only response was to basically say that he would not be commenting on whether or not something is "wise" but simply asserting the constitutional principle of freedom of religion. He didn't "open himself up" to saying whether it's wise. He was asked that question and (wisely) refused to weigh in on it.

by rennert on Sat Aug 14, 2010 at 09:56:15 PM PDT

• Labor (18)
  • Law (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Spam (17)
  • Media (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site