View Diary: The Barbara Boxer Rose Campaign (171 comments)

•  warning, I'm about to rain on this lovely parade (4.00)
    She'd like it to be a surprise?  She doesn't want the mainstream media to know about it?  So you posted it here?

It reminds me of those sweet young women on the Newlywed Game who would say something embarrassing to Bob Eubanks with a whispered, "don't tell anybody."  Their brains told them they were revealing a secret in a small studio with a hundred people listening, and they weren't thinking past that moment to realize they had revealed something to a nationwide audience.

I hate to break it to you, but nothing on the net is secret.  And this is not some insignificant website that no one looks at or some underground blog that nobody reads.  Nothing on this website is secret from the wrongwing or the SCLM!  Boxer "will probably get wind of it somehow"?  You think?

I am just shaking my head over this.  We get a nice post from Boxer through her PAC, with the obvious suggestion that if we want to show our support for what she has done we should send money to the PAC, but instead of sending money to the PAC we're sending her--flowers?  this is how we thank her?

Last but not least, her staff has better things to do on February 14 than figure out what to do with thousands of flowers.  Their work for the entire day will now be disrupted as they try to deal with this well-meaning deluge.  I wouldn't be surprised if GOoPers start contributing too just to tie her staff up in knots.  It is a long time til Valentine's Day and plenty of opportunity for the wrongwing to think of a way to negative spin this.

I do understand the symbolic value of this and think it is a beautiful idea in theory.  We do need roses as well as bread and we can't live lives of total practicality.  And I do like your point that liberals have an image problem and are thought of as sticks in the mud. But roses fade so quickly.  I'm really distressed at the thought of the lasting contribution that could have been made if this amount of money were given to her PAC.  Instead of putting real power, money power, in the hands of a woman we want to honor, we are sending her a perishable gift that she can't keep, can't spend, and will cause endless trouble for her staff.

At best there will be a one day photo op and an admittedly heartwarming story (with all kinds of unfortunate sexist spin--would we have thanked a male politician this way) but after that what will she have to show for it?  maybe we can get a good second day story out of what she did with the flowers--she'll probably send them to local hospitals, or share them with other like-minded Senators... hmm, there's an interesting idea!  Gosh, I can see how the idea is tempting...

Stacy sounds like a politically unsophisticated person whose heart is in the right place, but if the GOP had tried to think of a way to get a bunch of Democrats to avoid donating to Boxer's PAC they could not have come up with a better idea.  And I would expect people on dKos to know better.

I'm sorry to rain on this parade, and I may put my trusted user status in jeopardy for saying so, but I think this is misguided.  Sweet, but misguided.

At the very least, if you are participating in this, please give the equivalent amount of money to her PAC.

Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

by TrueBlueMajority on Sat Jan 29, 2005 at 11:48:57 PM PST

•  As I wrote below (4.00)
      I am sure many children in hospitals and many women in shelters would love to see nothing more than happy red roses to brighten their day as I am sure Boxer will donate them and share the love. Now go drink your 1/2 empty glass of prune juice and rent the movie "Miricle on 34th street" or "A Christmas Carol" and send someone who loves you a dozen red roses.

educate 'em when they're young

by Chamonix on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 12:12:46 AM PST

•  Volunteers in DC area? (none)
        To help get the flowers to homeless shelters, old age homes, homeless individuals (THAT could be one powerful experience), etc.?

Seriously, no crew of 3 or 7 or 10 people is going to be able to take the time to drive around town with the likely quantities of roses.

Any of you live near and able to help out? Or have contacts in the area who could?

Reframing the news and people's views of our world: http://www.HeroicStories.com

by AllisonInSeattle on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 12:57:30 AM PST

•  I'm *not* a Scrooge/Potter (none)
        I don't need prune juice.  I've spent a lot of money sending flowers in my life.  I understand the symbolism of the gesture.  I am only saying that I am surprised no one thought past their own feel good moment to what this really means for her office and her staff.

I have worked in a busy government office before.  Valentine's Day is not a holiday for those guys.  Monday is a key day for preparing for the rest of the week.  They will not only get no work done on Feb 14, they now have to come up with a distribution plan for how to get these roses to the hospitals/ shelters/people that you want to receive them instead.

This is an example of not giving someone the gift they want to receive (and asked for!), but the gift that makes you feel good.  Some would call that thoughtless and self-serving.  I'm not sure we should pat ourselves on the back for it.

If it goes well I will be the first one to take my lumps and tell you all that you were right.  But we will never know how much aggravation we caused for Boxer even though we only meant it as a loving tribute.

by TrueBlueMajority on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 05:34:56 AM PST

•  It's not like we're giving her (none)
          A Dog. Lighten up. She is a liberal, who drives an electric car, is from California and has been active for 10 years in the Senate and it is her time now...She is gonna Love the LOVE...If she can handle BushCo, Condi and Aubu Gonzales and the 10's of Thousands of Calls she received, she can certainly handle the Roses...There is no reason to bring a negative light into this Wonderful idea...she will Love the gesture and the symbolism far exceeds any qualms you might have. ps..i was kidding about the prune juice, but watching the movies and witnessing the indomnability of the human spirit might change your mind.

educate 'em when they're young

by Chamonix on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 06:19:27 AM PST

•  I hope they interview her on some major networks (none)
            and she has tears in her eyes... cuz this gesture just makes me well up...  I feel all mushy

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out God hates all the same people you do... Anne Lamott

by crkrjx on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 03:01:19 PM PST

•  Stop and smell the roses! (none)
      If you read the diary it clearly states that I posted to dKos originally, before I contacted Stacy.  After I spoke with her and clearly understood her intentions, and she mine, she agreed that if the campaign were to get legs, Boxer would likely find out about it (duh).

Now as to the matter of waste and spoilage: so what?

THAT is my point.  Liberals have become the PURITANS of politics.  THAT has gotten us nothing. We are The Party That Campaigns to Lose!

We have got to get over selling self-defeating tactics nobody in the average American household can relate to (like vegetarianism, anti-fur stances and tofu).  Sure we love those things as they are the outcome of our soul-searching, but they don't sell our image to anyone but each other.

For me, maybe not Stacy, the argument for doing this IS the media, IS the reframing.  Hello?  Anyody reading Lakoff out there?  We have an image problem!

That's all, that's it - not a rose a day for a year, just a few thousand, one day, for her AND US - to celebrate, to let our hair down, to - well - stop and smell the roses!

•  Sometimes... (none)
      gestures like this are the only things that will break through the static:

Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Except this gesture is not stupid or futile. It is clever by a bit too much. Crazy like a fox.

"Found media" is priceless. It will be interesting to see the spin from Fox & Friends on this event.

"But then I viddied that thinking is for the gloopy ones and the oomny ones use, like, inspiration and what Bog sends." -- Alex de Large

by rgilly on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 10:33:15 AM PST

•  not flowers INSTEAD of PAC (none)
      No one is subtracting the $10 they spend on the flowers from money that they had earmarked for the PAC. In fact, all the attention here is likely adding more money to the PAC, as people are thinking, oh yeah, I should donate some money to that too.