View Diary: Plame Leaked by Fake News Source? Overview: Part IV (354 comments)

•  Someone's scared about this... (4.00)

Domain ID:D96794611-LROR
    Domain Name:FREESPEECHFOUNDATION.ORG
    Created On:07-May-2003 02:10:33 UTC
    Last Updated On:26-Nov-2004 16:00:01 UTC
    Expiration Date:07-May-2005 02:10:33 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
    Status:OK
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.2025478825
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by Whois Source

http://www.whois.sc/search/?application=bulk_check&q=jeffgannon.com%0D%0Atheconservativeguy.com% 0D%0Afreespeechfoundation.org%2F%0D%0Ajournalismdiversityproject.org%2F%0D%0Afaithfullyspeaking.org% 2F%0D%0Anewmediaproject.org%2F%0D%0Aconservativecampus.org%2F

Yesterday, freespeechfoundation.org (and the domains following it) were registered under "J. Daniels".  The records were just updated today to change the name to "I. Christian"!

•  Fortunately, you can register with whois.sc... (none)
      And get whois lookup history.

Gannon isn't getting off that easily.

•  I caertainly hope not (none)
        somebody that knows tax law needs to look into this. It seems to me that his non-profit is a scam.
      •  It is really cool (none)
        that he's watching and taking action.  Even if he is doing it to throw us off and the first name is another a pseudonym, all your work got his attention.

The question that bothers me is that he must have some sort of a past that would disqualify him from the WH press corps entirely or he wouldn't use a pseudonym in the first place.  What is it?

•  If the White House planted him ... (4.00)
          they didn't need to vet him now, did they? For backgrounds and such? They knew exactly who they were getting ... they groomed him for it. And I'm sure the press corps itself doesn't have any say about who is in the press pool and who is not. I'd think a news outlet proposes someone, the White House does a background check, they're accepted.

So Talon proposes Gannon (who's already been vetted and primed for this job by the White House), the White House says it did a background check and accepts him.

•  FOIA (none)
            Can we FOIA his FBI records?  If he was vetted by the FBI, he would have a file.

We fight on. We fight for ourselves and the people who do not have a voice.

by mlk on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 08:13:56 AM PST

•  and if he wasn't (none)
              Then that might be very revealing too.

The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives. - Sir Winston Churchill

by drewthaler on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 08:17:50 AM PST

•  Sure, but we need a real name (none)
              That's the real problem.

How can you do an FOIA for someone who doesn't have a real name?

FOIA's should definitely go out for anything to do with Talon News, GOPUSA and this freespeechorganization.com.

I'm hoping someone with FOIA experience will up and volunteer to start the process. I haven't done one in years and I'm not sure I can keep up with gathering, sorting and summarizing all this information as well as putting out FOIA requests.

•  Do we need his real name (none)
                or can we FOIA his alias?  If they wanted to make it look legit, they would have a file under his alias and create a past for this person (ok, I watch way too much Alias on TV).  We get that fake file and prove he's a phony.

We fight on. We fight for ourselves and the people who do not have a voice.

by mlk on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 08:22:02 AM PST

•  I would suggest (none)
                that his real name and FOIA arent so important right now.

Now Im no lawyer, but,
                As it stands, our story basically revolves around the fact that a well connected partisan hack with a shady past has made his way into Whitehouse Press Corp. There is no apparant crime in that.

Now, if the man we know as Jeff Gannon is running an  illegitimate non-profit, that is fraud and tax evasion. That is a crime.

It seems to me that we need to get that story out into the mainstream and the other pieces will fall into places after that.

Maybe?

•  That only works (none)
                  if you can 100% prove the link.  Remember, we are Dems and are held to a higher standard of evidence than freepers.  RWCM will buy any innuendo from the freepers, but for us, we need to prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

We fight on. We fight for ourselves and the people who do not have a voice.

by mlk on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 08:41:22 AM PST

•  Well, its not like itd be hard to prove (none)
                    Non Profits are required to disclose to the public their filings every year.

I did a search at the IRS website and FreeSpeechFoundation.org isnt even listed as a non-profit.

So there is one piece of evidence right there.

Somebody that knows a little bit about Tax Law needs to contact the IRS or something.

•  i believe the secret service does the vetting (none)

support the troops......impeach the president

by evaguitar on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 08:36:21 AM PST

•  Privacy Act (none)
              The Privacy Act would prevent the release of things like his FBI file unless and until he signs a release (or unless and until he dies -- however, recent decisions involving Vince Foster indicate that in some cases privacy protection extends beyond death.)
            •  Not without his written permission (none)
              You can't get any FBI files on living people unless they agree to it.

And just because reporters are vetted before giving them credentials does not necessarily mean there IS an FBI file. I have no idea who does those background checks, but the FBI does them for people being hired by the government for many types of jobs.

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

by TheOtherWashington on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 08:53:57 AM PST

•  Don't FOIA him, FOIA the White House Press Office (4.00)
              If you can figure out the process by which he got credentials (which ought to be a hoot of a read) then you've got a huge part of the puzzle. Names, dates, etc.

Talon News makes FOX look almost legitimate, which is scary. But this is the atmosphere the WH has created. Just make stuff up. WMD, al-qaida connections, whatever, and then spoon-feed them to fake reporters.

"The concentrating [of the legislative, executive and judicial powers] in the same hands is precisely the definition of despotic government." - Jefferson

by El Payo on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 09:02:26 AM PST

•  but Susan.. (4.00)
            Great work BTW.

You have to be from a legitimate news organization to get in. You can't just hang up a shingle and say you are a reporter.

This means someone has broken the rules. The White House Correspondents Club should be angry and should have said something.

They are pretty toothless, as you can tell by what this administration gets away with -- few news conferences, no follow-up questions etc. but perhaps the correspondents have made a protest that no one knows about. Here is a list of their directors. Maybe someone can see if they will comment.

President

Terence Hunt, Associated Press

Former President and Sustaining Member
            Edgar A. Poe, New Orleans Times-Picayune
            1906-1998

Executive Director
            Julia Whiston

this is rumor control, news and analysis on the appalling mess we're in

by quickiemart on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 12:49:36 PM PST

•  I wouldn't be surprised if he (none)
          suddenly stopped showing up at the WH press briefings, etc.

Creationism? Since when do we teach fables with science? - Anon.

by Pescadero Bill on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 11:25:18 AM PST

•  asdf (none)
          I sent the following e-mail to him yesterday at theconservativeguy@theconservative.com.  I didn't mention dKos or anything but thought it would be fun to fuck with him a little bit:

Mr. Daniels,

Your days as a free man are numbered.

Your Friend,

Patrick Fitzgerald

Who would Jesus bomb?

by mraker on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 11:59:16 AM PST

•  This requires subscription though (none)
        About $15 per month as I understand it.

As an aside in my own delvings on whois (looking into another bunch of crooks entirely) I've often encountered records which have minimal information recorded - just a company name with no address details beyond the city location or sometimes just the country while phone contact numbers are usually obvious fakes eg. 12 345 6789.

I'm sure this goes against official standards and protocols for Domain information but who do I complain to and what redress is there? Any advice would be gratefully received.

The host servers are mainly either in the US or the Czech Republic.

•  You know what's interesting? (4.00)
      That all they change is the very vague J. Daniels name. Everything else looks the same.

And of course, this just makes me think there's more to the J. Daniels aspect than anything else now. But then they might be psyching us out into thinking that, right?

God, I just can't think deviously enough to keep up. Or else I'm TOO paranoid. I don't know.

•  No, you're not... (none)
        I didn't want to post anything that wasn't substantive since the threads are so long, but I've been obsessed with this since Friday night.

Paranoid? Perhaps. But among everything else, consider...

• - "The Conservative Guy" website was stripped yesterday (haven't checked today).

• - Within the past day, the domain registrations have been changed.

Do you believe these are coincidences? Tinfoil aside, you'd better believe they're tracking these threads as closely as we are now. Keep up the good work!

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, none will suffice.

by sidinny on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 09:15:27 AM PST

•  Does this make us all paranoid? (none)
          I have to write this as I am probably the only one who has what seems to be a slight problem on my PC. I have only been commenting on this site for 3 months now and I am on a very high speed broadband line. During this time, my send/receive e-mail which use to be super fast downloading, takes over 20 secs. Seems short, but to me, a very very noticeable 15+ seconds. Now, I was commenting last night on Susan's diaries, and this morning when I opened my outlook express it was stalled and goofy and after a restart, it went into a set up mode. MY PC is always on and I have a firewall. The thing is, I have Outlook Express listed as my main e-mail browser, but I only keep it as a back up and open it up to check it only. I actually use a different e-mail browser and it is downloading at the usual 3 seconds. I read that good hackers notice even the slightest change in a program speed. Is this just my PC only or have I just cracked up? Thanks. I am betting on the crack up.

Fix the Problems, Don't create new ones

by BarnBabe on Sun Jan 30, 2005 at 09:38:50 AM PST

•  15 minutes later (none)
            As I was the only one who posted my worry and no one replied, I assumed it was just me. But, I have to report that 15 minutes after I posted the comment, my Outlook Express was back to the 2 second download and going lickity split. I was not even going to add this comment, but I thought it was one of those 'strange' moments, especially after 3 months of a problem. Now I can sleep in peace. :)

Fix the Problems, Don't create new ones

by BarnBabe on Thu Feb 03, 2005 at 04:25:12 PM PST

•  AND (none)
          Now some of the photos we had posted in this diary and previous ones have disappeared.
      •  Actually... (none)
        There have been two corrections... as of yesterday there was a pesky telno disparity between JeffGannon.com (302-547-8825) and TheConservativeGuy.com (202-547-8825).

J. Daniels also registered FreeSpeechFoundation.org (among other domains), which used a Washington DC address, and 202-547-8825.

Today, FreeSpeechFoundation.org registers to I. Christian, 202-547-8825.  JeffGannon.com and TheConservativeGuy.com are both to J. Daniels, 302-547-8825.

Today we have two different people.  Why is that?  Scrubbing?

•  Is There a Real 302 Area Code? (none)
          And does that 302 number exist as a telephone number?
          •  Someone answers... (none)
            Female answers, but there is no Jeff available.  It does not seem to be listed with common directories.  Seems it is a cellphone prefix...