View Diary: Breaking: Congress Passed The Fair Sentencing Act (297 comments)

•  Glad to see equality starting to be delivered. (2+ / 0-)
    rainmanjr, mojada

Now that we have started down the road to equality for crack dealers, can we get something for the LGBT community?

We're waiting because the congress can't do too much at once... at least that is what we're told...

Does everyone think that we can look at equal rights for gays now that we're fixing the crack problem?

Now can I be an equal member of society?

Gay Agenda: 1. Equality 2. See #1

by skip945 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 03:33:47 PM PDT

•  You are going all wrong about it. However, (4+ / 0-)

here are some accomplishment we can put in the LGBTQ issue front:

1.  Extended  benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees

2. Signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act

3. Instructed HHS to require any hospital receiving Medicare or Medicaid funds (virtually all hospitals) to allow LGBT visitation rights.

4. Banned job discrimination based on gender identity throughout the Federal government (the nation's largest employer)

5. Signed the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act

6. Issued diplomatic passports, and provided other benefits, to the partners of same-sex foreign service employees

7. Lifted the HIV Entry Ban effective January 2010

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 06:56:47 PM PDT

•  Awesome post. (2+ / 0-)
        ThisIsMyTime, gobears2000

I didn't know he had done all that.  Our President is quite remarkeable and I'm simply shocked that we don't see more approval.  I want full open rights, too, but I also want a very robust energy bill.  I hold that energy bill as being mandatory for human survival on this planet so I'll grudgingly give that issue priority.  Health care was rather vital to specific individual persons, instead of an entire species, but that was about lives so it still took precedence.  Especially since we were getting a thing or 2 for equal rights that the GOPer's weren't giving us.
        But, when The Pentagon's report on DADT is finished next year, I think he'll move rather boldly on our issues.  Break the military fear and you break the civilian fear at the same time.  Once broken we can move-on.

"There's really nothing I want out of the past except history." - Autoegocrat

by rainmanjr on Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 09:08:43 PM PDT

•  I would not be surprised if Obama may just (0+ / 0-)

issue an immediate stop-loss executive order halting the discharging of gay soldiers though until the study is final. Yes, there are also many issues we must address indeed.

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 09:16:29 PM PDT

•  Don't you think that some people unfairly (2+ / 0-)
      ThisIsMyTime, gobears2000

treated in the criminal injustice system are gay?

Why can't they say that hate is 10 zillion light years away- Stevie Wonder

by blindyone on Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 09:02:52 PM PDT

•  Yes. Don't you think equality (0+ / 0-)

for all is the goal?  Gay or Straight?  In Prison or out?

Why can we get 100% support for this bill in the senate, but I still pay more in taxes than straights?
        I still pay taxes on my health benefits for my partner?  I don't get my partner's citizenship through our relationship?  I can't pass my estate to my partner?  Shall I go on?

I am frustrated that President Obama, with 59 Senators and a majority in the house has become the "Fierce Advocate" that he promised to be.  Where is his full support of the repeal of DOMA?  Why does his justice department so vehemently fight for DOMA?

Sorry if all this sounds sour grapes to you all.
        My equality has a price.  $440,000 in extra taxes in my lifetime.
        This issue has a price in years.

Why is mine not a major focus and this one is?

Peace.

Gay Agenda: 1. Equality 2. See #1

by skip945 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 at 03:33:57 AM PDT

•  Unwed straight people do have the same (0+ / 0-)

burden as well so it is not exclusive to you. Is it fair, no it is not but that has been the story for single/unwed people as well. However, you have to understand the POTUS can't make 59 senators jump the way he want them to jump while he has implemented many orders and signed laws that are by far the most progressive on LGBTQ issues in the history of this country. It is incremental progress. Like you said:

Glad to see equality starting to be delivered.

18 to 1 is not the most fair law but it is a start and is an incremental progress that was not possible for the last two decades. So is the many impressive incremental progress we have made around LGBTQ issues.

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Thu Jul 29, 2010 at 04:03:39 AM PDT