View Diary: Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV # 248 - Day 100 - Stars on the Water (331 comments)

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
    Yasuragi

I went through my browsers... there was one Firefox plug-in I don't recall putting there "java control panel" I think it was called. Ditched it. Oy. I didn't have an issue with individual feeds nor with other multi-feeds. I dunno why the problem seemed to have an affinity for bobo's page. I'm no script kid. Think I'll stick to individual feeds.

Free University and Health Care for all, now. -8.88, -7.13

by SoCalHobbit on Fri Jul 30, 2010 at 10:56:15 AM PDT

•  Huh. Just found Java Console in my add-ons. (0+ / 0-)

Disabled it.  Don't remember adding it.

Same thing?  When I click on properties, there's zero information.

Perfection of means and confusion of goals characterize our time. -- Albert Einstein

by Yasuragi on Sat Jul 31, 2010 at 08:38:16 AM PDT

•  If you don't need it... ditch it. (1+ / 0-)
        Yasuragi

If you aren't sure, Google it, or ditch it and if everything still works then it was unnecessary.

I mentioned above some common PC housekeeping like browser extensions/plug-ins. Yet on checking mine there was junk from updates etc. Oy. Makes me envy Mac users.

The PBS feed has the claim to fame of being security compliant, indicating that others aren't. Has there been discussion of this? Link? I'm still getting weird permissions granted even on single feeds. On impulse I went to BP's ROV page and got the same. Generally seems related to the ROV feeds and not so much which page they're viewed from. I tried other streams and they seem unaffected.

Hell, I'd even ask bobo but for his temperament being...  an acquired taste.

Free University and Health Care for all, now. -8.88, -7.13

by SoCalHobbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 02:05:09 PM PDT

•  Didn't see anything I could recognize as (2+ / 0-)
          cotterperson, SoCalHobbit

inappropriate... but there's lots I don't get.  Not my kind of brain.  At least not when reading that stuff. ;)

There's been an interesting conversation in the last ROV (there's a new one up after that) about the feeds:

We're getting mighty pissed about them.

When you say "permissions" do you mean the loading information in tiny white print as the feed is accessed?  PBS doesn't have that?

by Yasuragi on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 02:29:44 PM PDT

•  Permissions (1+ / 0-)
            Yasuragi

Firewall permissions: trusted software permitted through
            Anti-malware permissions: same deal

The firewall attempt was nuts, as in unprecedented. But now I see anti-malware granting unusual permissions to ROV feeds in general. That means some software on my system labeled as trusted is behaving suspiciously. Not good. I just opened the PBS page, and it's still ok: no extra permissions were allowed nor requested by my anti-malware.

Free University and Health Care for all, now. -8.88, -7.13

by SoCalHobbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 02:55:40 PM PDT

•  I still think it's from somewhere else -- (1+ / 0-)
              SoCalHobbit

the one bug ant-malware cleaned out of my system was from 'way before bobo's page was up.

Though I've tried all the feed links... never had trouble.

Dunno.

Could you have picked it up somewhere else completely?

by Yasuragi on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 04:37:05 PM PDT

•  It's a possibility (0+ / 0-)

Just like anything and everything is possible to some degree.

Why it would act this way, were it from elsewhere  though is beyond me. Seems counter intuitive. That's why I wondered why only the PBS page is labeled security compliant.

I look at it this: if you taunt big money, don't be shocked should it to spend a few bucks to make you go away.

Free University and Health Care for all, now. -8.88, -7.13

by SoCalHobbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 05:39:30 PM PDT

•  Sorry I missed this -- you sure are (0+ / 0-)

stubborn about catching up in the ROVs. ;)

It's just one of those mysterious flying things on the internet.  Page checks out fine for me, and I haven't found anything in my system that doesn't make sense to me.

Please join us again in the ROVs.  I miss you.  And if you're worried about bobo, forget it.  He's brusque, but he's fine.

Fascists don't take power. They're given power by an uninterested populace." -- Fishgrease

by Yasuragi on Tue Aug 03, 2010 at 12:13:08 PM PDT