View Diary: Atheist Digest '10: How I Became an Atheist (215 comments)

•  That is one of them... (2+ / 0-)
    SciMathGuy, XNeeOhCon

I think it goes on.

Not that I don't agree with him, but it is rather tangential.

•  I'll give you that. I'll look for the rest. (3+ / 0-)

I don't have a copy of the book with me at the moment.  I certainly have no interest in being a fanboy or apologist for Dawkins.  It's just that I am curious about the part you refer to and am not willing to make a judgment on it until I read it for myself in context.

"Religion allows people by the millions to believe things, that only a crazy person could believe on their own." -Sam Harris

by XNeeOhCon on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 11:54:02 AM PDT

•  It's ok... (2+ / 0-)
        SciMathGuy, XNeeOhCon

It was just a tiny part of an otherwise fun book.  I don't have the paper copy any longer, I exchanged it for an audio version to listen to in the car.

I think Dawkins is far more interesting to listen to as an evolutionary biologist than an atheist.

But, his work is not all that accessible to lay people.

•  I think his expertise in Evo Bio (3+ / 0-)

is invaluable to his perspective as an Atheist.  IMHO, his section about evolution and the fossil record was the best in the book by far.

by XNeeOhCon on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 11:58:51 AM PDT

•  Of course... (2+ / 0-)
            SciMathGuy, XNeeOhCon

but I don't see the God Delusion as a book that will change any minds.  He's simply preaching to the choir.

I read\listened to it in order to find some good arguments to use to use in support of the atheist position, but I really didn't find all that much that was useful there.

People are always going to see atheism as an attack upon their faith.

•  True. Asking a theist to read that book (2+ / 0-)
              SciMathGuy, David Kroning II

would be useless, as they would either refuse or read the whole thing with their eyes closed.  Belief systems that are strongly internally and externally reinforced must be taken down slowly and methodically.  There is no frontal assault that will work.

by XNeeOhCon on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 12:06:52 PM PDT

•  Again: (1+ / 0-)
                XNeeOhCon

Asking a theist to read that book would be useless, as they would either refuse or read the whole thing with their eyes closed.

That's simply not true. This very diary describes "a theist"--you!--who went from Campus Crusade to Atheist Digest editor. At every step, you had the option to "refuse" to deal with the skeptical doubts you encountered, or to consider them "with [you]r eyes closed." But you didn't. And here you are.

The percentage of readers who open Dawkins' book as theists but close it as atheists is very likely tiny. (And, his tongue-in-cheek Introduction notwithstanding, I doubt Dawkins is troubled by this fact.) Nonetheless, a deconversion rate of--what?--0.01% still yields many thousands of theists who are now atheists thanks to TGD.

Now, I suspect most deconversion stories are similar to yours, in that no one book or argument or experience does the work all by itself (my own story fits your pattern); nonetheless, I don't think there can be any question that Dawkins' book, among many others, can serve as the beginning, or the end, or an important middle step of a trip from belief to nonbelief.

The God Delusion is anything but a perfect book, and there are worthwhile criticisms to make about it. I don't think the cliché "It won't actually convert anyone" line is one such criticism, though. Plenty of theists really do care about the truth of their beliefs and the reasoning used to arrive at them, and those folks are sometimes reachable by rational argument. It doesn't work often--but not oftennever.

•  Fair enough. Perhaps I made a mistake in (0+ / 0-)

rounding down from .01% if you will.  I think, though that any theist not open to having their beliefs challenged will not be willing to read the book or spend their entire time reading denying any arguments it makes.  If a theist IS open to having their beliefs challenged then I would argue that the already on their way from belief to non-belief.  I mainly referred to those theists that would reamain steadfastly close minded in the face of any critcism of thier belief.  I suppose that might be considered defining something as itself.  The only sentiment I wanted to convey by that comment was the as the Dawkins intro you referred to.

by XNeeOhCon on Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 01:06:04 PM PDT

•  asdf (2+ / 0-)
                    RandomActsOfReason, XNeeOhCon

No, I disagree. You and I are both good examples of people who honestly and legitimately believed in God even at the point at which we began to be "open to having [ou]r beliefs challenged." Were we "on our way from belief to non-belief"? Possibly--but we were nonetheless still theists, and who's to say how many theists on this very weblog are at precisely that point?

I think you're selling theists-as-a-group a bit short. There is more vulnerability to evidence, logic, and verifiable reality among a particular subset of religious believers than we often recognize. (Not that I'm saying that that subset is easy to identify from the outside, especially during the inner-conflicted "Do I really believe this stuff?" period....)

•  You're absolutely right. (2+ / 0-)
                      Rieux, RandomActsOfReason

That idea is one of the fundamental reasons why I do this series.  If I can get to just one person that is like I was a decade and a half ago then I am happy.  If I felt this was an exercise in pure pontification I wouldn't enjoy it.  I like to argue, sure, but it's only really good arguing if you have a chance, even a slim one, of changing someone's mind about something.  I believe that is possible, and I didn't want to imply with my slightly flippant comment about The God Delusion that I think all theists are unreachable.  I don't know what the breakdown is, but I know there are many with doubts much as I describes in the above diary, and I want to welcome them and show them they are not bad people to think the things they do, despite what a lot of people in their lives have possibly implied.

by XNeeOhCon on Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 02:07:23 PM PDT

•  Which would be fine (4+ / 0-)
              Rieux, SciMathGuy, XNeeOhCon, johnva

People are always going to see atheism as an attack upon their faith.

If only they would own up to that, rather than pretending they are tolerant and don't think we are inherently inferior to their enlightened pious selves.

I have much less of a problem with someone who says, "I believe you are amoral and that exposure to your ideas will corrupt impressionable young minds", than I have with phony "liberal" theists who only say that shit when they are among other members of their congregation, except when it slips out every now and then here.

At least people who are honest about their beliefs are offering you an opportunity to present counter evidence (even if their faith makes them immune to it).

It is the people who pretend to be tolerant, but do not tolerate any challenges to their faith, that are the real pisseroos.

Always make new mistakes - Esther Dyson

by RandomActsOfReason on Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 12:01:26 AM PDT

•  Au contraire. (1+ / 0-)
              XNeeOhCon

but I don't see the God Delusion as a book that will change any minds.

Except that it demonstrably is.

It is usually the case that theism is impenetrable to the hard-headed rational attack that Dawkins mounts in that book (as have so many other atheists in so many other works across millennia). Most theists will not deconvert after reading a book like The God Delusion. However, there is enormous evidence that, given the right circumstances, some theists do.

The whole "Atheist X won't change any minds" line has always seemed to me an under-thought cliché assertion that extends vastly beyond the evidence. All of us who were brought up religious, and then left, had our minds changed--almost always by various facts, arguments, and situations. It is, therefore, demonstrably possible.

Finally, "preaching to the choir" can be a valuable service in itself. It rallies the troops and builds community. It seems to me a weak basis for dismissing any work, whether Dawkins' or otherwise.