View Diary: "Native languages in 'a state of emergency'" (256 comments)

•  Are you sure of the premise of your argument? (6+ / 0-)

We don't have the Dawes Act in effect right now, and we should be vigilant to ensure that individuals have the maximum freedom to choose that is consistent with avoiding greater social harm.

"We don't have the Dawes Act in effect right now...consistent with avoiding greater social harm."

Haven't had philosophy or logic since being an undergraduate, which social philosophy are you taking your premise from (too lazy to go get the books and look them up)?

She nourishes us; that which we put into the ground she returns to us. Big Thunder

by Winter Rabbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 04:25:01 PM PDT

•  Being that this is Daily Kos (0+ / 0-)

I am expressing a common principle of democratic progressive thought, that individual freedom and the greater good should be carefully balanced in a just society.

History has shown us the error of sacrificing individual freedom in favor of collective control, and reason has taught us the error of sacrificing common interest for individual freedom.

My philosophy seems completely consonant with the basic principles of this website.

Attacking it through a backwards argument from authority is unpersuasive.

It is also evasive. I asked where, and whether, an individual's right to choose fits in a discussion about preservation of native language.

Other than accusing me of supporting a Final Solution, forced assimilation, and condescendingly telling me that my inferior white individualism makes me incapable of understanding the superior collective wisdom of the Native, I have heard no constructive response to my question.

I'm still waiting for anything other than name-calling and bigotry in response to a simple set of thought-provoking questions.

Always make new mistakes - Esther Dyson

by RandomActsOfReason on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 05:12:39 PM PDT

•  I expected you to cite someone like (5+ / 0-)

Locke, Marx. You don't have one, do you? Won't feed you anymore. All you do is accuse others of making ad hominems after being given the opportunity to clearly express the basis for your views. But a lot of musicians today don't know the history of music, either.

by Winter Rabbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 05:23:53 PM PDT

•  Arguments from authority are a logical fallacy (0+ / 0-)

"the basis for my views" - what views exactly would those be?

I asked some questions. I was met with prejudice and personal insults, condescension and an utter lack of substantive response to my questions.

I am told I support a "Final Solution", "forced assimilation", "individualism for the sake of individualism", and that my kind can "never understand" the superior ways of indigenous people.

I have asked the questions again.

I still await a respectful engagement with my questions.

Questions are what learning is all about. Why the fear and hostility to engage respectfully in discussing questions?

Always make new mistakes - Esther Dyson

by RandomActsOfReason on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 07:26:01 PM PDT

•  While repeating nonsense endlessly (1+ / 0-)
            capelza

and taking yourself massively seriously, is, I suppose, better than arguing from authority.  If WR was.  Or if you had a clue what those words meant, I suppose.

But by now, we know how the Obama administration deals with those who would destroy it: it goes straight for the capillaries. --Krugman

by mbayrob on Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 07:53:07 PM PDT

•  Still no substantive comments? (0+ / 0-)

Just more ad hominems?

Why such reluctance to address any substance? Is your position so weak you can't even handle a mildly thoughtful set of questions from someone who, despite assumptions to the contrary, fundamentally in support of policies designed to effectively address the concerns articulated in this diary?

Always make new mistakes - Esther Dyson