View Diary: Please Help Pakistan... Please ... Update: New Flood Warnings (155 comments)

•  One of the problems (12+ / 0-)

especially with the Pakistanis in the Northern areas is a very serious protein deficiency called Kwashiorkor.  Greg Mortinson pointed out in his book, Three Cups of Tea that he saw many children with ginger colored hair when he first began building schools in Northern Pakistan. When I see pictures like the 21st one in this series, Boston Globe- Continuing Pakistani Floods my heart breaks as that little boy was already very likely seriously malnourished before the floods came.

Malnutrition was a very big problem there before all the flooding. This has now become a humanitarian crisis of epic proportions and they will need billions of $$.

At the recommendation of my neighbor who recently retired from USAID, he sent a link to this site InterAction which has the names of several USAID confirmed legitimate organizations working in Pakistan providing relief for the flood victims. USAID is also promoting on their website a link to mGive:

Working with mGive, Americans are contributing to Pakistan flood relief by texting the word "SWAT" to 50555. Each text will result in a donation of $10 to the UNHCR's Pakistan Flood Relief Effort, helping to provide emergency aid to displaced families.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 10:46:22 PM PDT

•  Excellent! (7+ / 0-)

thank you for this!

Down with Prop H8! Jerry Brown for CA_GOV 2010

by GlowNZ on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 10:47:22 PM PDT

•  red hair is not a symptom of that (1+ / 0-)
      ferallike

I have seen kids in Afghanistan with red hair, blue or green eyes etc. This is not a sign of an illness however, just genes!

I think Pakistan has enough food to go around. The problem is getting the food to the people when so many roads and bridges are just gone!

•  Yes Red hair can be genetic (2+ / 0-)
        kimoconnor, Youffraita

in just about every culture in the world. I'm a red head myself and I'm sure it has something to do with my Irish and Scottish genes.

But it can also be a sign of of long term Kwashiorkor. One of my childhood friends "Zo", who is Pakistani, works with a relief agency in the Askole and Hushe Valleys. He has told us that the number of kids he sees with the ginger colored hair that is indicative of kwashiorkor is just heart breaking.

Most red hair is caused by the MC1R gene and is non-pathological. However, in rare cases red hair can be associated with disease or genetic disorder:
           * In cases of severe malnutrition, normally dark human hair may turn red or blond. The condition, part of a syndrome known as kwashiorkor, is a sign of critical starvation caused chiefly by protein deficiency, and is common during periods of famine.

Zo was the son of a employee at the Embassy of  Pakistan here in DC. His family returned to Pakistan just after we graduated from McLean HS but he stayed here to get his MD. He continues to live here in Northern VA. For 20 years now, he has used that MD to help care for people in the Baltistan Region where his mother's family was from. After telling us of the prevalence of this horrible form of malnutrition, my parents donated $5000 to help his group purchase and move a few hundred goats through the Karakorum Highway to several villages so they could breed them and use them for milk and food.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 10:23:06 AM PDT

•  Good for your parents! (1+ / 0-)
          ferallike

And good for you & your friend, too.

I feel so bad for the Pakistanis who are suffering...and I have no way to help them.

Over the last 30 years, the Democrats have moved to the right, and the Republicans have moved into a mental hospital. -- Bill Maher

by Youffraita on Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 05:27:33 PM PDT

•  Just keep the word out Youffraita about (0+ / 0-)

what these people are going through. I have been and will be very busy for the next few weeks so any word you can share on my behalf would be greatly appreciated. Hubby and I will be making a very healthy donation on Friday after he gets his paycheck. As a Langley Blue Badger, he considers this particular cause extremely important as a way to win hearts and minds and get us the hell out of Afghanistan.  I've had to hold back because my father just passed away and we've had to cover a bunch of his bills until his insurance policies are settled.

My mother has already sent $1500 to Americares in my father's name and we will be donating the same out of my father's estate to Doctors without Borders. If my father were alive, he'd be freaking out right now and writing checks just like he did after the Haitian earthquake. My father grew up very poor and gave to every possible cause when he was financially able to do so. So on my father's behalf, please consider yours and GlowNZ's donations covered.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 06:32:27 PM PDT

•  Oh dear... (0+ / 0-)

Just checking my comments from the last few days & found your reply.

So sorry about your father.

I don't diary much, as you've probably noticed...but I think I can pass the word along at a couple of other (smaller) blogs I belong to, and maybe work up a diary early next week, when I'm off of work.

Sorry I read this much too late to tip you.  Really should check my comments for replies on a regular basis.

by Youffraita on Fri Aug 20, 2010 at 11:20:07 PM PDT