View Diary: Equality - why is it still Girls not allowed? (267 comments)

•  This is my reflection this Saturday morning (96+ / 0-)

I hope it served some useful purpose.  In writing it I reminded myself of things I know are important, and resolved to be willing to reexamine my own words, actions and attitudes to try to confront whatever discriminatory patterns that may still govern me.

Peace.

"what the best and wisest parent wants for his child is what we should want for all the children of the community" - John Dewey

by teacherken on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 03:57:19 AM PDT

•  If I may (16+ / 0-)

I note that we do not all agree.  I think it is fine that we can disagree civilly.

But for those who do disagree, where do you think the limits should be for private organizations, and the Boy Scouts are private, being able to discriminate, whether on gender, sexual orientation, race, religion or anything else?  Should such organizations be denied tax-deductible contributions, for example, since that would represent government blessing of the discrimination?  Do we make exceptions within the last statement for churches and other religious bodies?  As a parallel, when Steve Cohen was elected to Congress from a majority black district and applied to the Congressional Black Caucus they rejected him and in 2008 many supported his black primary opponent who among other things basically attacked him for being Jewish - Steve still won almost 80% of primary vote.

Private individuals and organizations are allowed to discriminate in some cases, but not in others.  Where should the limits be?

And beyond that, under what circumstances is it really beneficial to maintain organizations that do discriminate?

by teacherken on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 05:14:15 AM PDT

•  This is the only place I've read about (0+ / 0-)

Cohen's CBC rejection and it's been twice in the last 7 days.  I'm curious as to where this information is coming from.  Didn't he run against an idiot in 2008?

No, it's never just been in the South.

by conlakappa on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 06:22:54 AM PDT

•  he ran against Nikki Tinker (3+ / 0-)
          Odysseus, Sychotic1, Shirl In Idaho

who had been an aide to Ford Jr.

Let's go back.  When Harold Ford Sr. "retired" (he was under some pressure) Cohen, then a state legislator, ran against Ford Jr. and lost - I think that's 1996.   When Ford Jr. decided to run for the Senate in 2006 his brother Jake was one of a number of Blacks who ran in the primary - Cohen won the primary with less than a majority.  Jake then ran as an independent, with the backing of Ford Sr.  Cohen won.

In 2006 besides Tinker there was at least one other black in the primary.  I think it was Stephanie Tubbs-Jones, who belonged to the same sorority, who was taking Tinker around.   The CBC endorsed her.  Her campaign basically went after Cohen because he was white and Jewish - IIRC Tinker herself directly talked about the fact she was a Christian.  All that backfired, and Cohen won a huge majority of the primary vote.

This time the CBC  endorsed Cohen.   As far as I know, so did Obama -  and I am sure he di not endorse his primary opponent.  Cohen won almost 80% of the vote.

by teacherken on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 06:33:46 AM PDT

•  I think it's the Ford child/contest in 2006 (0+ / 0-)

I'm thinking of.  I do remember nastiness in 2008 but, again, don't remember ever hearing about any membership request to the CBC being rejected.

No, it's never just been in the South.

by conlakappa on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 06:37:44 AM PDT

•  I hope it wasn't Stephanie (0+ / 0-)

but you are probably right. Loyalty mattered a lot to her. R.I.P. Stephanie. Marcia (Fudge) is doing a good job of carrying your torch for us here in Ohio's 11th.

De-orangify Congress: Justin Coussoule for Oh-08 http://www.coussouleforcongress.com/

by anastasia p on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 07:34:24 AM PDT

•  on an entirely different topic (8+ / 0-)

I am feeling very frustrated right now.  I ordered a cat jungle gym for our five kitties and was trying to put it together.  I have trouble enough being dyslexic, understanding the not very clear diagrams as to left and right, and had to partially undo what I had done to get it right.

Then I go to put a platform on the posts to add the second level -  the platform apparently does not have the pre-drilled holes to slide over the bolts sticking up from the posts.  Neither does the top level, nor either of the two bed structures.  I bought it through Costco, but I am to call the manufacturer for issues of asssembly, they are in Texas, and there is no one there on a Saturday.  So it lies in pieces, drawing the cats' curiosity, but only mildly so.  I can imagine that I may have to disassemble and ship the entire thing back.

I may do that and simply demand a refund, and see what i can find already assembled in one of the nearby pet stores.

Oh well.

by teacherken on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 08:02:22 AM PDT

•  I only have four cats (2+ / 0-)
        radarlady, allep10

I love them all dearly. As a fellow dyslexic (having been diagnosed early in my life because of my parents getting a member of the Orton Society to investigate some issues I was having) I totally understand your problems. Ugh. Keep changing those cat boxes.

Discrimination based on gender is an issue. I wish it was not allowed. This raises questions such as should there be separate sports leagues for males and females. I don't know the answer to this question and I have ambivalent feelings about it.

That said discrimination based on gender is unacceptable. Even one sex bathrooms or showers do not bother me.

So?

Practice tolerance, kindness and charity.

by LWelsch on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 08:22:00 AM PDT

•  *Some* assembly required.... (1+ / 0-)
        allep10

LOL! I know, I've been surrounded by pieces and parts for many an afternoon. I'm a girly-girl and my husband was a manly-man, but he sure couldn't read directions or even put up the tent when we went camping!

My best advice is... if you want something done, learn to do it yourself.

No one ever died from laughing too often

by googie on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 08:32:21 AM PDT

•  this is the worst I have encountered (3+ / 0-)
          nzanne, allep10, googie

I have assembled lots of furniture in the past.  Bookcases and chairs from Ikea for example.  One I can get the orientation correct I usually do pretty well.

But when something is supposed to be predrilled and it is not, there is a problem.  You seem to be arguing I should drill it myself.  If I knew what size drill bit to use I could I supposed.  But I shouldn't have to.

On Monday the manufacturer will get a blistering phone call from me.

by teacherken on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 08:52:42 AM PDT

•  No, no, I'm not arguing (2+ / 0-)
            allep10, elginblt

I'm agreeing with you. Some people, regardless of gender, are just better suited for certain tasks. My husband was not good at assembling things which is why I gave MYSELF that advice.

No one ever died from laughing too often

by googie on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 09:01:25 AM PDT

•  I finally went ahead and ordered a drill (3+ / 0-)
            Odysseus, allep10, elginblt

made specifically for female-sized hands, along with a whole set of bits, just because this sort of thing keeps happening (and my hands are really tiny - I can wear kid-sized gloves). Took some doing to find, but worth it.

You have my sympathies.

•  I have small hands, too. I remember an job long (2+ / 0-)
              Odysseus, allep10

ago, assembling electronics. There was a crimping tool that was too big for me to use properly. I asked the supervisor if it was possible to get a better one with compound action so that the grip wasn't so wide. She brought it to the manager who had huge hands. He squeezed it once and said 'works fine'. So I continued crimping by setting on the table and pushing down. Not exactly efficient.

•  If it was for my cats... (0+ / 0-)

...they would have had more fun playing in the box the thing came in anyway. They loves them some cardboard.

•  Well, I am a retired reading teacher (0+ / 0-)
        and not dyslexic...but sometimes I can only put things together by looking at the picture on the package because the directions are often unreadable!
        I sympathize with you.