View Diary: Equality - why is it still Girls not allowed? (267 comments)

•  Exactly (5+ / 0-)

Boys and girls are different. They just ARE. Barbie is geared for GIRLS, and while a few boys will like to play with them, the vast majority won't.

Most girls don't want to play with trucks. Or dinosaurs. SOME will, of course.

Boys tend to be less verbal, more aggressive, than girls. Girls tend to be more cooperative. Generalizations, of course, but backed up by lots of research.

Part of this is conditioning, but part isn't. Ask any parent - EVERY child is different.

Gender differences exist. Trying to pretend they don't is not going to make them go away.

•  Definitely true (3+ / 0-)

But I'm not sure it matters.

For example, I think a case can be made that on average men are slightly better at math than women. (Though this is a huge statistical average involving many people: imagine two giant overlapping bell curves with the "male" one peaking a little higher than the "female" one).

So, how do we deal with this difference? I would argue we don't try. We try to socialize men and women as closely as possible and give them equal access to math curriculum, studies, etc. At the end of the day, if men tend to gravitate toward engineering while women tend to gravitate toward teaching, that's perfectly ok. As long as they had the choice and were given equal opportunities, an outcome differential is not a problem.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
      Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 06:54:19 AM PDT

•  Contradiction Upon Contradiction (4+ / 0-)

"Boys and girls are different."

"Most girls don't want to play with trucks... SOME will, of course."

"Gender differences exist."

"EVERY child is different."

Reading just this post, I now know what it's like to be a ping pong ball.

Let's try to unravel this thing backwards.  So we'll start with, "Every child is different."  Okay.  Since every child is different, we therefore need to evaluate each individual child based on his or her preferences.  Some children will enjoy the activities focused upon by clubs such as BSA.  Some won't.  The ones that do enjoy the activity will want to participate.  The ones that don't enjoy the activity won't want to participate.  Simple.  Reasonable.  Practical.

Does it really matter, then, how many penises they have?

•  I'm a girl and I loved to play with Tonka trucks. (2+ / 0-)
      BachFan, StateofEuphoria

The bigger the mudpile, the better the roads.

IIRC, bro and I had an old Tonka Army jeep.  We used to light firecrackers under it.  That was totally awesome.

Never meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer.--Bruce Graham

by Ice Blue on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 09:12:29 AM PDT

•  I had a chemistry set that I loved, in part (1+ / 0-)
        Ice Blue

BECAUSE it had all those warnings about poison and fire and noxious fumes and so forth.  How could something so dangerous NOT be cool?

And we got thoroughly muddy and blistered and smelly during our GSA camping trips.  (Though I can definitely do without the squatting to pee, and realizing that one has left the TP just out of reach after using the trowel to dig that hole....)

But I still feel that adding boys to that all-girl group would have led to less fun and more-inhibited behavior.

"Specialization is for insects." -- Heinlein

by BachFan on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 09:42:07 AM PDT

•  Not sure (1+ / 0-)
          Ice Blue

Getting all hot, sweaty, blistered and smelly makes one a little more human.  That's something we all have in common and something we can learn from a shared experience.

I'm a male nerd and gender is pretty much irrelevant to me - I simply prefer to be around like minded people.

(from another JSB fanatic)

Die energie der Welt ist constant; die Entropie der welt strebt einem Maximum zu. - Rudolf Clausius, 1865

by xgy2 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 09:52:00 AM PDT

•  Me three w. JSB. (1+ / 0-)
            xgy2

I'm no fan of peeing outside, though.

I remember once when Dad took my bf and me out fishing for muskies in his bass boat.  I drank too much coffee that morning so about an hour after we got on the water, I had to go.  I in just five more minutes, Dad could have gotten back to the gas station/bait shop next to the boat launch but did he do that???  No-o, he pulled up on some dinky island.  "Well, you got to go, or don't you?" Dad said.  I had to drop my drawers there in a bunch of brambles, and use some McDonald's napkins for tp.

BTW, that was one of the old reasons they used to use to keep women off Air Force bomber crews.  In WWII, the crewmen got these bottles to pee in, but those things were such a pain in the ass to use that most of the guys held on to it 'til they got home, even if they were about to explode.

by Ice Blue on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 10:47:20 AM PDT

•  Go before you go. (2+ / 0-)
              Ice Blue, BachFan

One thing I remember from my sailing days: Always check the wind before you go.

With respect to bodily functions, nature is not kind.

by xgy2 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 10:58:33 AM PDT