View Diary: Equality - why is it still Girls not allowed? (267 comments)

•  True. (4+ / 0-)

But isn't scouting a private institution?

Not 'fully public'?

I don't support gov't money being given directly to private organizations merely to fund them, no matter who it is.  If the gov't wants to buy things from private co's that's fine.

And I think public facilities should have an open door policy to members of the public.  If my city tax dollars support, in part, a conference hall that is open for use to members of the public, then I should be able to use it, whether for a slideshow on fish, a chess club, a boy scout meeting, or a zionist revival or a KKK meeting.  If it's not open to any person who pays taxes that support it, then it should be open to none.

Am I cynical? Yes I am! - Bob the Builder's lesser known brother Pete the Politician

by Ezekial 23 20 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 05:29:14 AM PDT

•  what about tax deductibility (7+ / 0-)

of contributions

or tax exemption of Scout camps from local real estate taxes

what about legislation requiring schools receiving federal funds to allow access to facilities by Scouts

are not all of these examples of government indirectly approving or at least not disapproving of an organization that discriminates

Jackson does not explore this, but I think it is something relevant to this discussion, and something w often do not look at, how government can favor some organizations that do discriminate, thereby perpetuating the discrimination

"what the best and wisest parent wants for his child is what we should want for all the children of the community" - John Dewey

by teacherken on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 05:32:34 AM PDT

•  Well, see, that's where I personally (3+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, Sparhawk, esquimaux

wouldn't allow tax deductions for anyone.  Not Scouts, not churches.

I admit the discrimination issue is trickier, but again, I think the question of use should follow the taxes and policy.

If a school wants to open up a room or facility for use by members of the school district other than students, then I don't think they should get to pick and choose how those members want to use it on a case by case basis.  They should be free to impose general rules like 'no eating or drinking in the room' or 'no animals'.

But if they don't want scouts, there's a simple solution.  Don't open the room up to the general public.

by Ezekial 23 20 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 05:40:10 AM PDT

•  And, btw, (5+ / 0-)

as an athiest I find tax deductions for churches appalling.

Encouraging people to have delusions that work against me on my tax dollars.

Every bit as bad as funding discriminatory organizations.

by Ezekial 23 20 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 05:42:53 AM PDT

•  Well, the 'non-profit' matters too in terms of (0+ / 0-)

tax deductibility, right?

I mean, you can write off contributions to Media Matters and the Heritage Foundation...certainly not unbiased organizations.

Too big to fail = too big to exist.

by Liberaltarianish on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 08:04:46 AM PDT

•  I don't know about BSA, but (4+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, deha, Ellinorianne, Donkey Hotey

GSUSA is a 501-3(c) corporation that receives zero funding from the federal government. GSUSA gets a portion of its funding from the United Way, but basically relies on annual dues and cookie sales for the majority of its funding. Girl Scouts is a private, non-profit organization that embraces diversity and teaches tolerance.

"Truth never damages a cause that is just."~~~Mohandas K. Gandhi -9.38/-6.26