View Diary: MUST SEE: USA unemployment by county 2007-10 (303 comments)

•  Said MOST, not ALL, for a reason... (1+ / 0-)
    Lupin

...don't demagogue, please, even sarcastically. Or do, I don't care! But what I said is true (with exaggeration, of course). The amount of food most Americans have in their pantries is equivalent to many multiples of what people in other countries consume over long, long periods of time. Everyone knows this. The lack of stores of food among some Americans doesn't change this.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 06:34:12 AM PDT

•  I think you are speaking of relatively well off (10+ / 0-)

Americans.  Poor people live from week to week and don't have the opportunity to accumulate food.

"When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

by lakehillsliberal on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:03:29 AM PDT

•  MOST. Not ALL... (0+ / 0-)

...I have been in all sorts of households along all levels of the socio-economic stratum (strata?) and there is normally a decently stocked pantry, even if it's stuff that never gets used (especially if it's that stuff, actually).

Regardless, the stunning convenience with which Americans can obtain high-calorie food makes the world their goddamn pantry so it's splitting hairs at a certain point.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:21:27 AM PDT

•  so? (3+ / 0-)

billions of humans have less than one days worth of food,  since americans have a few weeks worth, you think that makes us immune.

My god, look how nuts people get just before a snow storm, now imagine if a real threat was happening.

(regarding the bank mess) They want to cure the patient but not deal with the disease.

by dark daze on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:14:01 AM PDT

•  Who said immune? Who said that? (0+ / 0-)

I said I didn't think there would be food riots because American stores of food (public and private) are VASTLY largely than countries that usually experience violence surrounding the adequate supply of calories to their population. Or if there ARE food riots I think it will be people with food in their pantries and not the genuinely starving (see, well, your exact example of the snow-pocalypse idiocy).

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:19:25 AM PDT

•  I think you're exaggerating... (3+ / 0-)
      wu ming, Sychotic1, LucyMO

Most people don't have enough food in their pantries to last a year even on meager rations.

Don't like XOM and OPEC? What have YOU done to reduce your oil consumption? Hot air does NOT constitute a renewable resource!

by Asak on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:59:52 AM PDT

•  Only survivalists (0+ / 0-)

have that much food on hand, and what they have purchased from their specialty survivalist suppliers hardly qualifies as normal food.

I am the only person I know who keeps a bag of rice and a bag of beans on hand, just in case.

Modern housing no longer has pantries, and it's because nobody stores much food anymore.

"Too big to fail" is not too big to jail.

by Angela Quattrano on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 09:33:57 AM PDT

•  i try to keep enough in my apartment to deal with (0+ / 0-)

a hurricane or an earthquake-sized disruption, and even then it's hard. most people, even well-off ones, don't stock all that much, and if it's anything like my parent's fridge, half of it is rotten or expired in the back where they can't see it.

surf putah, your friendly neighborhood central valley samizdat

by wu ming on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 07:06:49 AM PDT