View Diary: MUST SEE: USA unemployment by county 2007-10 (303 comments)

•  not correct (4+ / 0-)

we do not have enough fresh fruits and vegetables to supply every person with the daily recommended amount.

CNN, that evil mainstream media outlet, taught me this two years or so ago.

Gaia is heartbroken.

by BlueDragon on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:17:09 AM PDT

•  california alone probably does (1+ / 0-)
      Only Needs a Beat

but we export a bunch.

surf putah, your friendly neighborhood central valley samizdat

by wu ming on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:20:44 AM PDT

•  No (2+ / 0-)
        Sychotic1, BlueDragon

There is enough to fill demand. But demand is nowhere near what it would actually take for everyone to have that many servings. Most people do not eat what the government recommends. Sometimes it is because of money, sometimes due to supply (no stores in the area that carry fresh fruit and vegetables), sometimes because of bad choices, which are not limited to any one class, sometimes multiple factors.

"Too big to fail" is not too big to jail.

by Angela Quattrano on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 08:45:49 AM PDT

•  If daily fresh fruits and vegetables... (2+ / 0-)
      Oh Mary Oh, Only Needs a Beat

...are a requirement for a healthy lifestyle, then it is impossible to live healthily and sustainably in the northern United States - where locally-produced fresh fruits and vegetables are unavailable for a good part of the year.

What have you done for DC statehood today? Call your Rep and Senators and demand action.

by mistersite on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:29:09 AM PDT

•  Canning? (3+ / 0-)
        Lupin, Sychotic1, Only Needs a Beat

We used to do that in the Northeast. Now Mega Corps do it, and make a handsome profit to boot.

If you are older than 55, never take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time!

by fredlonsdale on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 07:48:42 AM PDT

•  You have to learn to put stuff up (1+ / 0-)
        Sychotic1

In my view one of the best ways is to make beer and whiskey. A close second is to let your deer and wild turkey eat your blown down apples all fall and fatten them up.

Then there are jellies and jams, blueberry, black berry, razberry, wild strawberry, apple, pear, peach, plum and grape; all your fall crops, carrots, potatoes, onions, and corn... the edible mushrooms from july through september include lobsters, chanterelles and black trumpets, all plentiful, delicious, and easy to dry for later.

You can make it through from December to April with just the whiskey and beer supplimented by a little hunting, trapping, and ice fishing.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 08:37:36 AM PDT

•  Only if you've got land. (2+ / 0-)
          rktect, thatvisionthing

The only things I can hunt or trap in my DC rowhouse are rats, stray cats, and the occasional raccoon. The only wild turkey I've got anywhere near me is the kind that's already been made into whiskey.

I grow some things in my backyard garden, but not nearly enough to even sustain me through the summer - let alone year-round.

by mistersite on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 08:48:39 AM PDT

•  Without a seasonal supply of cheap (1+ / 0-)
          Toon

fruits and vegetables, preserving is pointless. Most people cannot have the kind of garden and orchard it would (which is about an acre in size) take to supply themselves with all that is recommended. Paying supermarket prices for vegetables and fruit you are going to can means using lots of fuel to produce a product that is inferior to frozen or trucked produce.

Buying at the farmers market here costs about double what it does at the supermarket.

"Too big to fail" is not too big to jail.

by Angela Quattrano on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 08:49:55 AM PDT

•  canning and fresh veggies (1+ / 0-)
            Lupin

I live in south Texas. I am able to buy from neighbors and or farmer's markets all the fresh veggies, pork, eggs, goat's milk and fruit I can eat at prices comparable to or less than the grocery stores. I have canned enough tomatoes, pickles, and beets to last for a year on less than $100 in products. The only things I purchase at the grocery store now are dry goods like sugar and flour. I even grow my own herbs. Yet I live in a sub-division on a 1/4 acre lot. It IS possible it simply requires talking to your neighbors and sharing.

•  How nice (2+ / 0-)
              Lupin, BlueDragon

I paid $3.50 a pound for tomatoes at the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago. There is no way anybody around here could do what you have done.

A quarter acre (with a house on it, no less) will provide fresh vegetables with a few surpluses. It takes over an acre of farmed land to grow enough food to feed a family year round.

No, it is necessary to live in one of the few places that has such a long growing season. Saying you did it has no effect on places where the growing season is short.

"Too big to fail" is not too big to jail.

by Angela Quattrano on Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 12:57:30 PM PDT

•  Kentucky (1+ / 0-)
            Lupin

My dad had a farm in Kentucky.  I went back there when he died 3 years ago.  I was amazed that in that rural, farming area, people didn't have local produce available at the stores.  It was WalMart crap fake tomatoes.  Then later I came across a story by Barbara Kingsolver, not fiction but an account of efforts to restore local produce to local markets where she was, in Kentucky.  I think the farmers aggregated, got a contract with a store, and just before the tomato harvest was to be delivered, the store canceled it and went with a supply brought in from California that they got for a few cents less.  Trucked all the way across the United States.  The local stuff went to waste.  Now that's a fail to break your heart.

•  I have rwo sar (1+ / 0-)
            Lupin

one in squash, onions, potatoes, carrots, beans and one on lettuce, peas, beans and corn. I think that if you planted an acre you would probably need a family of about 12 to tend it.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate