View Diary: Bigoted Blue Dog Rep. Runs Ad Attacking President Obama (280 comments)

•  Do you really think "all" Democrats (2+ / 0-)
    Fiona West, emilysdad

support "any" party position?  Just look at this site.  I'd rather have him than the Republican he's running against.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 03:45:09 PM PDT

•  Not if it legitimzes (18+ / 0-)

the hatred agaisnt hispanics that is sweeping this nation.  No scapegoating of any ethnicity.

Pooties and Woozles unite; you have nothing to lose but your leashes!

by TomP on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 03:47:44 PM PDT

•  I don't support race baiting and scapegoating, (0+ / 0-)

but a member of Congress is free to support any legal and ethical means to solve a problem (or perceived problem).  His district ultimately dictates whether he's right or wrong.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 04:03:30 PM PDT

•  race baiting (9+ / 0-)

isn't ethical, either.

Anywhere.

how much of a spineless fuck do you have to be if you can't stand up to peacelovin' liberals?!!--onemadson

by o the umanity on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 04:37:51 PM PDT

•  it's not ethical (0+ / 0-)

And it is based on strong perception of stereotypes about hispanics.  e.g. illegals steal your stuff, illegals will kill you on your farm. Illegals stuff 15 people in a house. Illegals don't contribute to society.  All of these "concerns" have been proven false or not substantive.

One of the early comments made the claim that meat packing and other processing plants are refusing to hire Americans. That's probably true but you can count on this that the Republicans will not tolerate any operational change in the status quo.  The illegals of today will become tomorrow's "Guest Workers" with no path to citizenship and none of the protections of citizens.

If you want real change, then stop electing Blue Dogs.  They don't help create real change. if you want real change work for progressive values.

--Mr. President, you have to earn my vote every day. Not take it for granted. --

by chipoliwog on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 09:05:48 PM PDT

•  Are you saying every person in the US (2+ / 0-)
        indybend, lordcopper

who opposes amnesty is racist and hates Hispanics? Because that's the only thing you have to point to in this ad.  MOre border guards, focus on companies that hire illegal workers, deport illegal workers with felony criminal records -- what of that goes against the Democratic positon? only that he opposes amnesty.

I support amnesty. But his doing so in his district is probably not politically possible. It's normal to expect COngressmen in mostly red states to shift a little to the right if that's where their district is. In my opinion, if you're goiung to call him racist and announce that we'd be better off if he loses, you need to provide a tad bit more evidence than that.

But then I grew up partly in Indiana and I don't see any reason in hell why DKos would generally allow a little slack for Democrats running in red areas of teh South and not see the need for the same pragmatism in Indiana.  WHich for the most part is culturally part of the South.

•  Why don't we have guards on the Canadian border? (1+ / 0-)
          Dave925

The US/Canada border is among the longest unprotected borders in the world.  There are many places where you can simply walk back and forth across it. No surveillance equipment, not fences, no mine fields.

Yet, I would be willing to bet you that one of the largest populations of "illegals" in the US are Canadians.  And the reverse is probably  true for Americans in Canada. And it is interesting that one of the largest influx of seasonal visitors to Arizona are Canadian snowbirds.

Yet all the gnashing of teeth seems to be over Mexicans and other central/south Americans.  Why is that?

by chipoliwog on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 09:13:08 PM PDT

•  George Wallace started off a Democrat (10+ / 0-)

When he left the Party, we gained.

We need to stop going halfway around the world to wage war on people who don't even change out of their jammies to fight us.

by JesseCW on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 03:57:54 PM PDT

•  I'd rather take my money and give it to (2+ / 0-)
      chipoliwog, Dave925

real Democrats, not fakers like this.

My money and time is better spent supporting progressives.

Dean was wrong.
      We don't need to take our country back. We need to take our Party back.

by shpilk on Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 07:51:00 PM PDT