View Diary: MO-Sen: Dems suffering from intensity gap (246 comments)

•  The only... (9+ / 0-)

statement that forgoing the constitutional right to vote makes is idiocy.

So many fought so hard to have it for themselves...what a slap in the face to them to discard your own.

•  They fought for our current mediocrity. (0+ / 0-)

When presented with two horrible options, refusing to partake in the process is a perfectly acceptable, patriotic statement to make.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
      --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:02:03 AM PDT

•  and you... (6+ / 0-)

surrender your right to complain about the consequences, but something tells me you'll try anyways...

•  It's not acceptable (7+ / 0-)
        I've talked to people who don't vote.  They're mostly morons that don't know up from down.  Nice company.

My grandparents would go out in a hurricane and crawl through mud if that's what they had to do to vote.  I think if I tried to convince them to not vote, they'd spend a good amount of time chewing me out and rightly so.

•  There are more than two options. (2+ / 0-)
        trashablanca, ezdidit

I agree that failing to vote is a bankrupt choice.

It immediately cuts the value of your vote in half.

In the normal two-party math, a vote taken from 'D' goes to 'R'.  A vote merely taken from 'D'  has half the impact.

In multi-party math, there isn't a giant difference between sitting home and voting for some "other" party, but there is a huge message difference in several ways:

1. If, as in 1992, a significant vote goes to a third party with a clear political message, that message will be advanced as major party candidates seek to poach those voters.  Where do you think all of the deficit-cutting fervor came from during Clinton's tenure?  It was an effort to corral Perot voters.
        1.  At the very least, it identifies some number of people willing to vote, and votes that might be won.

People who don't vote don't matter.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:28:05 AM PDT

•  And that attitude is why we'll lose big in Nov. (1+ / 0-)
          jakewaters

Give me a reason to come out. Give me a reason to vote for the politicians I once believed in.

Don't dismiss me or people like me who are disillusioned by the process and the bullshit.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
          --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:30:49 AM PDT

•  You COULD vote AGAINST them all (3+ / 0-)
            ThatsNotFunny, trashablanca, dinotrac

by writing in "None of the Above".

That NEEDS to become a viable option, and it will do so only if people actually use it.

If it's
            Not your body
            Then it's
            Not your choice
            AND it's
            None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:41:15 AM PDT

•  That is better than not voting. (0+ / 0-)

It's a distinct "I vote for something (or nothing) else", as oppposed to, "Oh, what the heck.  I'll just go along with what everybody else says".

One is something you can try to win, the other is nothing.
              There's not much upside in trying to pitch your campaign to the lazy.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:04:42 AM PDT

•  Bingo (1+ / 0-)
            ThatsNotFunny

How about some Presedential signing statements that fire up the base tacked on to some bills?

They may be viewed inside the White House as small political potatoes but don't you think that during a famine of dissillusionment maybe that starch is enough to nourish our folks to keep the faith?

And it frames the discussion to things that democrats want and most importantly, things that democrats and progressives want to talk about.

Yes it will upset the nut-sackers and wing-nutty types and yes, it is threatening for administrationers who are crouched in a defensive positions who will have to adopt a new attitude if not a new strategy.

Hope they haven't forgotten how to go on offense.

Rahm, Gibbs and the beltway boykins  seem to just dump it in from the blue line and start skating backwards.  Hell, even Caribou Barbie could beat that system.

O, you powers that be, listen to this 'ThatsNotFunny' guy, you need his vote.

Give him a reason to go out and feel good that he's voting D, go on, I dare ya.

"I'll press your flesh, you dimwitted sumbitch! " -Pappy O'Daniel

by jakewaters on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 10:19:57 AM PDT

•  But you will be dismissed. (0+ / 0-)

People who don't bother to vote are not high value targets.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:05:35 AM PDT

•  People who don't bother to REGISTER are (0+ / 0-)

not high value targets. I'm registered and can probably be convinced by November. I guess that makes me a Dem-leaning liberal small-i independent, despite never voting for a Republican in my life).

I'm not lost yet. The party gives up on disillusioned unenthusiastic registered voters like me at their own peril.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
              --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:22:13 AM PDT

•  That is not the purpose of this website. (3+ / 0-)
        Aexia, fcvaguy, trashablanca

(Almost absurdly and, certainly, quixotically,) we are for More and Better Democrats here, and not necessarily in that order.

Read the freaking FAQ. Staying home is Republican advocacy. You're on the wrong website if you think abstention is loyal to Dems:

Daily Kos will be what Daily Kos is, and that oftentimes evolves. I know everyone wants their clearly defined rules, but nothing is that simple.

This site is CERTAINLY NOT for all Democrats. Joe Lieberman learned that. Blanche Lincoln is about to learn it.

This site is about more and better Democrats, not necessarily in that order.

I were you, I would leave and read some more FOXNewsOnline. Then get your ass in gear back here and drive people to the polls!

I'm sorry to insult a long-time member of this community like you with an HR, but even a newbie like me has more sense than to think it's an option on this website to urge leaving Republicans unopposed anywhere.

No Quarter for REPukEs!

TAX THE RICH! They have money! I'm a Democrat. That's why!

by ezdidit on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:32:15 AM PDT

•  I don't need to read Fox News Online (1+ / 0-)
          Aexia

I get enough Obama bashing right here on DailyKos.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
          --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:34:21 AM PDT

•  That HR was unwarranted. (0+ / 0-)

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
          --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:37:59 AM PDT

•  Take it up with moderators. (1+ / 0-)
            ThatsNotFunny

I really wish you would reconsider in light of some of the principled argument above. Abstention makes no sense. period. ...not if you really are a Democrat...and I can see that you're alienated...but the alienated and disaffected are all the Repukes can count on this cycle.

TAX THE RICH! They have money! I'm a Democrat. That's why!

by ezdidit on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 10:43:47 AM PDT

•  Please understand: (1+ / 0-)
              ezdidit

I want to vote. I'm just not enthusiastic about it, and I'm not willing to vote for a candidate that has been working against the issues that matter to me. I will not reward bad governance with a vote that they did not earn.

And truth be told, come November I probably will vote after all. But at this rate it's 50/50.

As for the HR... Look, I'm not asking for a 4, but removing the HR would be a good-faith gesture in the spirit of healthy debate. Just sayin'. Until expressions of disillusionment with the candidates and the process are expressly forbidden in the FAQ, I think it's a little harsh. The issue of lack of enthusiasm cannot be addressed when the people who lack it are HR'd out of the discussion.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
              --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:16:03 AM PDT

•  removed it earlier when you asked the 1st time. (1+ / 0-)
                ThatsNotFunny

Where are you? What district? I'm in NY's 9th - Weiner country!

imo, the only solution is to give Dems an irrefutable majority. When they see a coalescence of outright leftists socialists, Progressives, Liberals, Moderates and rank & file Labor Democrats backing them up, they will have to be held accountable to better standards moving left.

Sestak was a limited win against the DNC, but Halter's run against Lincoln - should Lincoln lose - will be held up to ridicule the DNC as out of step. This is an insurgent campaign season, and I like being called an underdog insurgent!

I will NOT be alienated! And in NC, where I'm planning to move, I really have some work cut out for me winning hearts & minds to force Heath Shuler to vote like a Democrat. (Elaine Marshall should win against Burr, but it's no slam dunk at all.)

TAX THE RICH! They have money! I'm a Democrat. That's why!

by ezdidit on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:49:17 AM PDT

•  I thank you for that. (0+ / 0-)

I'm registered in NJ-12, represented by Rush Holt. I haven't checked any polling but it's a pretty safe D district.

The area is fairly Blue but getting redder by the day. I held my nose and voted for Corzine, but was seriously considering sitting that one out. In the end, I'm glad I didn't even though it wasn't enough to get him into office. He should've never won the primary.

We need more like Rep Weiner, for sure. I'd trudge through the snow uphill both ways to vote for a progressive like him!

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
                  --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 12:12:04 PM PDT

•  Weiner runs unopposed... (0+ / 0-)

He doesn't need any more encouragement...he'll even run for NYC mayor when it suits him. He may even win! He used to talk about his constituents as "the middle class and those struggling to make it."

(He'll need a super-long bumper sticker. He's Schumer's protege, so he ought to print it on a cartoon of Schumer's coattails. May even run for the Senate in ten years...God-willing!)

Anyway, NJ 12 can use strong Progressive influence in the district, and you're more important than you know!

TAX THE RICH! They have money! I'm a Democrat. That's why!

by ezdidit on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 12:25:35 PM PDT