View Diary: Donna Brazile (399 comments)

•  Mistake to post this on the front page (4.00)
    This is pure heresay, and I think it's beneath you, Kos, to give this blind quote such prominence.
    •  Fair point (none)
      Blind quote is kinda creepy.

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 03:33:00 PM PST

•  Anonymous Attack (4.00)
        Whoever is throwing around terms like "Sister Soujah" to describe Donna Brazile ought to put their name on their efforts.  An anonymous, lengthy, snide attack on Brazile should not be a headline on this site.  I know, Kos, it's your site, but you're allowing someone the luxury of an inflammatory posting with no accountability.
        •  Especially (4.00)
          when we are under attack from the so-called 'civil rights' party, the GOPT... what a wonderful way to claim we are out of touch with the base... calling Donna 'Sister Souljah' and claiming she has no pull or desire to help her brothers and sisters, while the thugs just nominated an African American and Hispanic to high offices.

This is a bad post.

Jaded Reality... I've had enough spin for today thanks...

by spiderleaf on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 03:49:09 PM PST

•  Well said. (4.00)
          Nothing annoys me more than reading "anynomous quotes from Democratic insiders" in the New York Times and Washington Post -- usually nasty things party insiders wouldn't want attached to their names.  Plenty of those types of quotes were aimed at Kerry this year whenever the campaign hit a rut.  The party leaks like a sieve.  How is this any better?

I love Kos; I think he has great taste and the front page is the best source of news on the net.  This is inappropriate IMO.

The beginning of empire is the end of commonwealth -- Leon Fuerth

by tlaura on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 03:49:29 PM PST

•  100% right (none)
            you hit the nail right on the head. I can't stand reading blind quotes from Democrats in-fighting. The GOoPers never fight in the papers like we do. Not a big fan of the blind source Kos. Sorry.

The Kohlman Observer: If you don't know you better ask somebody...or go to The Kohlman Observer

by kohlmanobserver on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 04:25:59 PM PST

•  I agree (none)
              This strikes me as a small-minded, personal-score-settling rant.  I have little interest in reading this kind of stuff.

Moreover, I'm appalled at how the author so nonchalantly adopts the phony Bill O'Reilly meme of Jesse Jackson as a corporate shakedown artist.

Fight the American Taliban

by pontificator on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 05:21:02 PM PST

•  no, Jesse pretty much sucks (none)
                Have you ever seen Jesse's magazine? Very high quality paid for with advertising from companies he's targeted for protests and boycotts.

I stuck my neck out to report racism in Navy Recruiting Command. I went to Operation PUSH and it was a waste of time. They wanted me to give money and never made an effort to understand the case.

Jackson is self-serving and not that great an organizer.

Bloggin Blagojevich's Blunders: do you want to see Roddy B challenged in the Dem Primary?

by Carl Nyberg on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 06:02:16 PM PST

•  Let's make sure we differentiate between Jesses (none)
                  I have my problems with Jesse Sr., but I was a teenager in Iowa in 1988 and he was the only presidential candidate that really seemed to understand the toll of the farm crisis. Consequently he did much better in that caucus than most expected him to do.  He's become a bit of a media whore, but I'll take Jesse Jackson over right wing whores like Ann Coulter.
                  Jesse Jr., however, is a bright, thoughtful, articulate and progressive Congressman.  He's established his own network and has left most of the grandstanding and petty vindictiveness of Sr.'s machine behind.
                  I'm eagerly anticipating his mayoral bid.

The verdict on Gov. Blagojevich is still out.  If Mike Madigan, Rich Daley AND Dick Mell are angry with him, then he is obviously tipping some sacred cows.  I think he's a reformer who may actually change the corrupt culture of Illinois politics.  Plus he just lobbied for and signed our long overdue gay rights bill.  Give the guy a chance.

•  I loved Jesse Jr's recent speech (none)
                    I think it was the vote contest in Congress that I'm thinking of.

But it was Jesse and I agree with you about him.

I'm keeping my eye on him.

•  Rod mostly show, little go (none)
                    Just because G-Rod is pissing people off doesn't mean he's doing anything useful.

The Tribune ran an article today about people making six figure donations getting eight figure contracts.

Rod's not much of a reformer. He's a consistent opportunist about positioning himself so he looks like he's doing stuff to the casual observer while getting little of substance done.

by Carl Nyberg on Wed Feb 02, 2005 at 12:01:27 AM PST

•  Is what was said ... (none)
              ... accurate or not?  If it's accurate, it doesn't matter who said it.

If it's not accureate, well, it doen't matter who said it, either.

Judge the issue by the merits, and don't get offended where offense should not be taken.

•  Anonymity is the Issue (4.00)
                It makes substantiation that much more difficult. So much of the post is subjective anyway. It may ALL be true for all I know but I'm not going to give it any credence until its author steps forward. The "Sister Soulja" comment set off bells for me. Attacking Sister Soulja was Bill Clinton's way of proving that he wasn't beholden to Black folks -- it was a sleazy racist media stunt. Suggesting that Brzile should be targeted for that sort of treatment is contemptible EVEN if everything else in the post were true.

"Tell no lies. Claim no easy victories." -- Amilcar Cabral

by Christopher Day on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 06:25:40 PM PST

•  asdf (none)

I hate it too...

Which is why I really don't like Donna Brazile.  I've seen her on TV bashing other Democrats more times than I can count.

My gut sense is that she blows with the wind.  Right now she sees the wind blowing toward Dean, so she's singing a pro-Dean tune.  But I see her as a fairly opportunistic member of the Dem establishment, not a real reformer.  (Kind of like Kerry, to be honest.)

She is a Dem, so I'll give her a little leeway out of partisan loyalty.  Also, I don't know how true the story of the downsized black staffers in 2003 is.  But independent of this allegation, I have reasons for not being a fan of Donna.

•  Donna (none)
                I have to agree with this assessment.  I have seen her on talk shows and she never defended the
                democractic positions, just apologized.

I really didn't see anything racial about the story.

•  Sister Soulja (none)
                  thats whats racial about the story and it tells you all you need to know about this post. This strikes me as a deliberately provocative piece intended to inflame racial antagonisms within the party.

None of which is to suggest that Brazile is beyond criticism.

"Tell no lies. Claim no easy victories." -- Amilcar Cabral

by Christopher Day on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 06:29:40 PM PST

•  Donna Plays The Race Card (none)
                  It's called not being good at what you do, and hi-jacking the Party into giving you and those you designate....any number of goodies.  Now, Donna is lousy on TV, but so are other Dem talking heads,... and hopefully Dean will establish a training ground for developing exciting and relevant talent. She has done lotsa work, but isn't the Star she'd like to be.  Donna......move over. We pay your way, and you aren't doing a good enough job. GOP squakers roll you over all the time. You should sit in on Lakoff, and  learn some word framing and debate tactics, among other things. We should run it lean like the GOP, and get results instead of K St hacks.
        •  You're right (none)
          I waqs wrong in my first take.

"Just say no to torture." -Semi-Anonymous Blogger.

by Armando on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 04:00:50 PM PST

•  Sister Souljah? (none)
          I agree about blind quotes, though journalists use them all the time.  But the quote wasn't comparing Brazille with Sister Souljah (which would be patently unfair to Sister Souljah).  What the quote meant in referring to a Sister Souljah moment, was having Brazille called out in public on her shit, which is what Bill Clinton did about Sister Souljah at an NAACP meeting(and which showed what an opportunistic asshole he was).  In other words the quote was saying Brazille should be called out in public on what a lazy, unfocused, ineffective, gravy  train riding opportunist she is.  It's too bad nobody's brave enough to say that for attribution.  Let her get a job with CNN or MSGOP -- maybe Tweety will hire her -- but please keep her away from any money I contribute.

This aggression will not stand, man

by kaleidescope on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 06:23:24 PM PST

•  To me it smells like (none)
            Reagan's "Welfare Queen" remark.
            •  That is what I said (none)
              Some Black woman and undeserving staff sponging off of the donors
            •  Huh? (4.00)
              Have you watched her sorry ass on TV lately?  She's usually unprepared, off message, and gets rolled by the conservative hosts and their conservative guests.  I can't think of a worse representative of the Democratic Party.  I'm sorry, but it isn't just white people who are like this and it's racist of you to imply that it's only white people who are lazy unprepared and unqualified.  Brazile is the epitomy of an internally retired establishment coaster and everyone like her -- be they black, white, yellow or red should get booted from paying jobs with the party.

This aggression will not stand, man

by kaleidescope on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 07:36:35 PM PST

•  So call her a (4.00)
                "ROAD" Warrior. "Retired on Active Duty".

You weren't part of the civil rights movement, you didn't have to live in fear of getting lynched, you didn'thave to sit at the back of the bus and get called "nigga" for a hundred and fifty years, so yeah, whoever wrote this is being insensitive, and there are far less polarizing terms that say the exact same thing without tapping into the dirty river of our racial history, so HUH? right back at ya.

•  Kos, are you F***-ing nuts? (none)
      You are 100% right in your content, but your timing? Please explain. And why invoke Dean in this spat, right here, right now?

I mean can't we wait to win, and then move her out with some dignity? fwiw.

Anti-War, Anti-Joe! "If a Dem wants to be "good friends" with Sean Hanntiy, well, he deserves to be primaried..."

by DeanFan84 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 03:48:54 PM PST

•  i don't get it (none)
      i hate blind quotes, i hate them in the NY Times and I hate them here. This reminds me of the writer from Raw Story who posted here, a diary i think, with all sorts of blind stuff regarding all the things "we" on the outside had no idea about that happaned to the Kerry campaign or something. While I trust Kos' judgement, i would hope he would be careful in who he trusts.

by kohlmanobserver on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 04:09:55 PM PST

•  why is it an anonymous statement? (none)
      Why do you think the person made her/his statements anonymously?

by Carl Nyberg on Tue Feb 01, 2005 at 05:31:58 PM PST

•  Most Unworthy (none)
      This is just an annonymous source making an ad hominem attack that gives insufficient  detail to allow an independent assessment of whether there's even any basis for the attack. Donna Brazile may not have been a Dean fan, but she has a long history of service to the Democratic party. It looks like some of Kos' posts are just vehicles for evening the score with those he's tangled with in the past.

• Recommended (141)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Media (21)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Spam (18)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • International (15)
  • White House (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site