View Diary: Hannibal ad portas (384 comments)

•  So what is going to happen? (6+ / 0-)

If our side prevails and retains the congressional majorities, then Team Teabagger will grow even crazier and more polarized. That should cost them support and help guide the republicans back to sanity. They are already very embarrassing. Failure to win in November will make them much worse, but that's a good thing.

Now, if we lose significantly, I see a lot of downside. They'll get validation and momentum, and the media will run with the story they've been straining at the bit to publish: "The Triumphant Return of republicans!"

Then, all liberal ideas will be considered to have been weighed and found wanting, and that the New Austerity means an end to social programs and a New Strict Severity.

Wow. Just looking at this, I think I can tell already what we're gonna get.

Every day's another chance to stick it to The Man. - dls.

by The Raven on Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 06:52:59 AM PDT

•  Not to spread fear (6+ / 0-)

but quite frankly if what I've been hearing is true, I think we will see some violent uprising.  Several people I once thought were reasonable have been telling me that guns are the only answer and that they will "fight for their freedom".  People are scared and there are some very powerful, manipulative, wealthy people taking advantage of that fear and egging it on.  The open hostility I have witnessed in public is downright shocking--racism, religious bias, and so on have absolutely exploded where I live (the Detroit burbs).
      I predict that this next election cycle is not going to change anything.  No matter who prevails, the right or left, the wingnuttery is not only not going to end, it will only get worse--much, much worse.

"Come senators, congressman please heed the call. Don't stand in the doorway, don't block up the hall." dylan

by surelyujest on Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 07:38:12 AM PDT

•  If you're right (2+ / 0-)
        Shadan7, BobTrips

That's the best-case outcome. What I'm most afraid of is the possibility that they'll win and then just tone it down a little, shoving the Overton Window further to the right.

If they continue to get wackier, more Bachmann-esque, then more and more of the base will leave them in disgust, until all that remains are the die-hard Teabagger laughingstocks.

Every day's another chance to stick it to The Man. - dls.

by The Raven on Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 07:52:52 AM PDT

•  A loss by the right... (5+ / 0-)

Especially a loss by many/most of the Baggers will likely cause the less extreme part of the Republican party to regroup and move a bit toward the center.

The Baggers will likely be cut loose as was the John Birch Society.

Lot more potential votes in the center of the distribution than way out in the tails....

Obama quote count - "Hold my feet to the fire" (3) - "Help me work for a better America" (137) --- [Phony numbers, real message]

by BobTrips on Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 08:29:11 AM PDT

•  The biggest 'dick' ever, Dick Armey... (2+ / 0-)
            happymisanthropy, apimomfan2

Says the teabaggers are going to take over the reptilican party, his words: "A hostile takeover", so don't expect the baggers to fade away, too much corporate money is behind him.

May you live in interesting times--Chinese curse

by oldcrow on Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 09:58:42 AM PDT

•  Reality doesn't support your assertion... (1+ / 0-)
              apimomfan2

Baggers had to cancel their Las Vegas convention due to a lack of interest.

Recent rallies have come up far short in numbers.  Their big rally in Philadelphia only attracted 500 (reporter number) to 1,500 (Bagger number) despite being in the most populated area of the country with millions of people being within a short commute.

This area produced 1-2 million for Obama's inauguration.

Bagger candidates are not doing very well in the primaries or so far in the general.  Take Rasmussen polls away and it looks like Baggers are largely failing....

by BobTrips on Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 11:36:16 AM PDT