View Diary: "How will we explain our ignorance and our compliance to our grandchildren?" (229 comments)

•  Can't rec this comment strongly enough. This (4+ / 0-)

bizarre idea that kids can learn right from wrong only by going to church boggles my mind.  To think of someone being an atheist and then searching for a church to have their kid baptized in is giving me a headache.

by gustynpip on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 01:22:56 PM PDT

•  Oh jeeze... (1+ / 0-)
      angry marmot

My wife and her family are Catholic and the baptizing is for them. I convinced her to look at Episcopal churches, but that's as far as my influence goes.

And yes, I do think that religion can teach right from wrong. And so do billions of other people.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day ~ Harry S. Truman

by HairyTrueMan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 01:31:30 PM PDT

•  That's actually my exact background. (2+ / 0-)
        blueoasis, HairyTrueMan

Baptized Episcopalian to put on a show for the relatives. Hasn't taught me right from wrong though, my parents did that without once mentioning God. I guess it's a good insurance policy though, just in case, eh?

"I wish you luck on not hating your parents for mixing up such an unthinkable person." --The frickin´ HP--

by McWaffle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 01:37:27 PM PDT

•  LOL! Billions of people believe in god, too, (1+ / 0-)
        Fixed Point Theorem
        so I guess they must be right and us atheists, who are very much in the minority, are wrong.  Millions believed the earth is flat and the sun goes around the earth.

Funny, I never realized before that the number of people believing something is proof it's true.

Really, feel free to baptize your kid however you want.  It just struck me as quite ironic that an atheist would be depending on a religion to teach their kid right from wrong.  As though religions have been terribly successful at that so far.  Glen Beck would be just the latest example.

by gustynpip on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 01:39:20 PM PDT

•  Could you squeeze a little more straw man... (1+ / 0-)
          blueoasis

and red herring into your response?

Clearly, your parents didn't teach you any manners. Perhaps you should travel upstairs from their basement and talk to them about it.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day ~ Harry S. Truman

by HairyTrueMan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 01:54:13 PM PDT

•  Wow. Why are you so touchy on the subject? If (0+ / 0-)
            you want to baptize your kids, go for it.  You don't need my approval.  The fact that I find it humorous is not that big a deal.  Nor is the fact that I find people's belief in a supreme being silly a big deal.  People are constantly acting as though anyone who doesn't is both stupid and evil and I don't let that offend me.  I think you're a little sensitive.

by gustynpip on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 05:35:26 PM PDT