View Diary: Bill Moyers wants you to read this (259 comments)

•  Yeah, I don't see the GOP embracing single-payer (5+ / 0-)

... Any time soon, so it doesn't make sense to hand them back Congress. All they'd do is defund HCR so they can give away even more to the insurance industry. They wouldn't make single-payer any more achievable.

•  well, (2+ / 0-)
      atdnext, NoFortunateSon

I don't think its even possible for the Nov elections to be that awesome for the thugs. They may have the edge on us, ya know, with the MSM dubbed "anti-incumbent wave" and all, but I think at most with a thug controlled House, all we will see is lots of kabuki, and lots of paralysis coming out of congress. So, I don't think they'll be able to defund the PPACA, they'll just propose it a lot. It might pass the House, then die in the Senate.

I think what I am more afraid of is the legislative paralysis coming out of Congress after the Nov elections. Right now is prime time to start thinking about fixing the PPACA, and with a rethug controlled House, we all know that shit aint gonna fly.

You're watching Fox News. OH MY GOD--LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU

by rexymeteorite on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:14:34 PM PDT

•  That's a fact, unfortunately (14+ / 0-)

I don't see the the Democratic party embracing single-payer any time soon, either. The leader of our party has taken it off the table for discussion. He's probably never going to see the majorities again that he had over the last two years, so I don't know how that's ever going to be deliberated.

"The kid in the combat gear is dead because the men in the suits failed."-me

by porchdog1961 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:24:44 PM PDT

•  the way I see it (5+ / 0-)

is that the President understands the need for a single payer system in this country, but saw the political futility in pushing it with all the hyper partisanship happening in congress. I still have faith that the Obama administration would push for single payer, right now, if they saw it was politically feasible.

Not making excuses for anyone, just presenting my opinion.

You're watching Fox News. OH MY GOD--LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU

by rexymeteorite on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:27:59 PM PDT

•  Rexy, I respect the President, and (7+ / 0-)

worked, donated and voted for him. I don't think he's playing "dimensional chess", I think he's trying to survive. Until we negate the power of big money in politics in this country, no substantive changes will ever be made. My only beef is that President Obama seems to be so intent on "bipartisanship" that he doesn't represent the traditional ideals of our party the way that he could.

"The kid in the combat gear is dead because the men in the suits failed."-me

by porchdog1961 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:38:50 PM PDT

•  In addition, (8+ / 0-)

At some point in the presidential campaign he described Reagan's presidency as "transformational". Yeah, well a case of dysentery is also transformational--that doesn't mean it's good for you. How about telling it like it is?

"The kid in the combat gear is dead because the men in the suits failed."-me

by porchdog1961 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:43:51 PM PDT

•  Oh, I don't think he played (5+ / 0-)

"11d chess" either. I think that pushing for the things he did WAS about political survival. This isn't some plan. The administration took what they got, bargained where they could (imagine if he had pissed off big pharma or big health care more than he did) and managed to pass a par-level bill.

Completely agree about the big money though. Until we do something about these huge corporate machines that unite in opposition against changes to their respective industry, we will never get single payer, a cohesive climate change bill, a bigger stimulus etc etc etc. We will continue to see pawns protest against their own self interest, funded with money funneled by big industry. We will continue to see the state of the MSM disintegrate further and further. It really is the most important issue of our time because every single piece of progressive legislation hangs in the balance. Every progressive, from the most centery of center left, to the left of the left has to be aware of the effect of big money on federal governance. Every progressive politician has to fight HARD to stave off the influence so casually tossed around in washington.

You're watching Fox News. OH MY GOD--LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU

by rexymeteorite on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:48:47 PM PDT

•  I think the President was going for the possible, (8+ / 0-)

not looking for his own survival. President Obama has said several times that he might be a one term president because some of his actions would not be popular.

And he knows as well as anyone that a bad economy doesn't bode well for a president's second term.

If President Obama was looking for his own survival, he would have taken the advice of his advisors and not pushed for health insurance reform.

Slavery is the legal fiction that a person is property. Corporate personhood is the legal fiction that property is a person. -Jan Edwards

by SoCalSal on Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 04:29:56 PM PDT