View Diary: Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #360 - Flying Monkeys - BP's Gulf Catastrophe (274 comments)

•  just listen to Jerry, don't watch the video! (12+ / 0-)

Never heard this before, but wanted to find something unique for u!

Jerry sings 'Amazing Grace'

draw a window on the wall to remind you of the silkrain that makes things grow - Yoko Ono

by quinn on Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 11:06:22 AM PDT

•  that was great - thank you - noone sings (11+ / 0-)

"forlorn"  like Jerry.

•  Yeppers (9+ / 0-)

I've long referred to him as the king of melancholy.

•  new climbs the old (5+ / 0-)
          rubyr, peraspera, Yasuragi, rja, Onomastic

or something.

This guy sounds like Jerry's and Joe Cocker's seekrit kid, raised by the Allman brother's black nanny.

Kinda why I was missing last night, went into border's, they were playing this (he's coming to town today) and I just had to have coffee and read and sechlike.

Does this rec make my head look fat?

by KenBee on Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 02:27:47 PM PDT

•   for rubyr (6+ / 0-)

NYC's killing me...listen to it on that link I posted..sample the new album, third or fourth,.

Does this rec make my head look fat?

by KenBee on Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 02:35:04 PM PDT

•  Very late but thank you, KenBee... (7+ / 0-)

I love his voice and lovelovelove the guitar but I can't agree with his lyrics dissing NYC. We have a bad rep but actually people here are fairly polite and thoughtful. We have to be because there are so many of us in a small place. People will look at you and even say hello. Not everyone, but where's the town that's full of friendly people. I have lived here a long time and I've never had anyone hurt me and I have had a lot of people help me. He's very talented and I like his music but he is perpetuating an urban myth.

Thanks. I love to be exposed to music I've never heard.

In defense of NYC, I always cite the first bombing of the WTC. Thousands of people walked down many, many flights of stairs for hours, in the dark, with smoke and heat, no emergency lights along the edge of the stairs, and they CARRIED the wheelchair bound (with chairs) and the asthmatic and the overcome. Not one person was injured as a result of the evacuation. Not one. That signifies to me that NYer's are not all bad.

"Winter downpour~~ Even the monkey~~ Needs a raincoat." Basho

by rubyr on Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 04:10:29 PM PDT

•  Is this bugging you, I'm not touching you' (2+ / 0-)
              rubyr, Yasuragi

Yep, I was pinching yer arse, NY is great and suffers from just such slurs. You and Eddie C live there, what could be the problem?:>

As to Ray Lamontagne, just look at him, he's tortured, he lives in the woods of western mass, and engineered and produced his album.
                  He 's like a musical Ted Koscinski with proper potty training.  BTW, I luv the intrumental talents on that album, it's terrific, even without any fiddle, (none that I noticed.) Pedal steel/dobros on that album is outta sight...but that instrument's going to have to wait for my next life, along with Uillean pipes and clawhammer banjo, altho the banjo: I have no excuses, I play weekly (weakly:I heard that!) with the best on the best coast so...

Another voice I was knocked dead in my tracks by were Iris Dement, Lucinda Williams, and Frazey Ford of the Be Good Tanyas.

Iris was on her first tour, she was fresh off the farm, and sang at the Santa Maria Bluegrass Festival to twenty of us. I sat right in front. Mmmmm.

I got to see the Be Good Tanyas in their first tour,with 10 other new friends in a coffee shop, and hung out afterwards, and am still mesmerized by their fresh redo's of traditional folk, a very delicate process, and one easily buggered. They do it better than most.
              Rain and Snow , get a hankie first...

On that tour, and central to their sound, Frazey Ford is playing on KCRW's Morning Eclectic at 11:00am Tuesday, she has a new album, solo this time.

Another knockout voice was Oh Susanna, she was doing the same tour with the Tanyas, and we tried to  ... well, never mind for now :> about my musical congress.

...but back to NYC, I was commenting to the Mrs Bee as wee were buzzing around the fruit section in the Trader Joe's that many people give you a glance of recognition, without the obligations of talking, and it's a reassuring recognition without getting more complicated, but then someone doesn't and cuts you without that subtle hello of The Look. Those people stink up the place..social lubricationally speaking.

Mean people suck, no matter where, we got them, they are everywhere, and I'm a dick way more than I should be.
                I try to be good.
              :>

Does this rec make my head look fat?

by KenBee on Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 08:19:26 PM PDT

•  He was an amazing man... (8+ / 0-)

(-7.62/-7.90) .....It was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep... Gimli in Moria, JRR Tolkien

by Lorinda Pike on Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 11:42:31 AM PDT