View Diary: Support our moneybomb today! [UPDATE 6: $292k] (275 comments)

•  Miss Blue... several things here to address this (13+ / 0-)

issue.

First, if you listen closely to Conway's words instead of just the catch phrase "extend Bush tax cuts" you will hear that Conway was very specific in addressing any extension and he wants tax cuts for certain segments for a certain period of time that will benefit our economic doldrums. He never says make the cuts permanent. He focuses on keeping income tax cuts for the middle class.

I have a left many comments about this and more.

So, it's erroneous to continue the Paulite's lie that Conway supports extending tax cuts "for the rich." Conway used specificity in his response about those tax cuts.

<div style="color: #a00000;"> Our... constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men's minds. Thurgood Marshal

by bronte17 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 08:39:07 AM PDT

•  Not a lie, by any means. (4+ / 0-)
      MadRuth, Miss Blue, Lujane, roystah
      Ample proof exists that the Bush tax cuts benefit the rich, almost exclusively. Nobody here is claiming that he only wants to extend them "temporarily" - the issue is that Conway comes to us for money, but refuses to discuss why he thinks bad policy is good policy. This silence is infuriating, to me, and will result in no further donations - from me.

Please tell me if most of the regulars here want communism in our country?

by Skritchard on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 08:55:34 AM PDT

•  Economists are examining these tax cuts (3+ / 0-)
        mattman, dadanation, elwior

currently. There is a big ongoing discussion over this.

You, OTOH, are not an economist and are not legitimately making any rational argument for or against the specificities.

You are simply here to attack Conway and destroy his fundraising abilities with his people.

So, you can get off your high falutin' horse there and any pretense that you would actually donate. You are a Paulite or Rovian here to disrupt. That's your MO.

And look at that damn sig line you have... ... tell me if most of the regulars here want communism in our country? So, you think we're all a bunch of sicko hippie commies on this site?

by bronte17 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:07:23 AM PDT

•  How insulting to those of us with (9+ / 0-)

legitimate questions.  I don't have to be an economist to understand that extension of the tax cuts for the wealthy is not a good thing for the economy.  I will not contribute to any candidate who lacks the ability to be candid about his positions on policy issues, and this is a big one.  I have other places to direct my support.

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.~~Lily Tomlin

by vigilant meerkat on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:37:40 AM PDT

•  Sigh... okay meerkat. Let's give a week or two (5+ / 0-)

and we'll see how you change your tune. Because this issue will dominate the news and dkos in the near future.

Those tax cuts are across a wide spectrum of our nation. You have bitten... hook, line and sinker... into the Republican meme that Democrats must let all those tax cuts expire.

It is the fight that the Republicans want this election season so they can accuse Democrats of raising taxes during an economic downturn.

Smart Democrats OTOH have carefully examined the tax cuts and decided that some of them may actually be beneficial during these hard times.

The examination is currently underway.

You should not be so hardheaded and rigid as to not give our Democratic candidates any leeway in dealing with this.

by bronte17 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 10:12:45 AM PDT

•  His answer isn't the deal breaker.... (11+ / 0-)

the refusal to answer might be.

I am a realist and far from a purity troll.  I understand there is probably no politician I will agree with 100%.  And I am a yellow-dog Dem, so any Dem politician gets a lot of leeway from me.

But I have limited time and money.  With that in mind, I am going to support those who agree with me the most, or are in races where we truly need them to win.  But silence on an issue has the potential to be a deal-breaker with regard to my efforts to help a politician.  Vote for them - yep.  Work for them - not necessarily.

I think Rand Paul would be a disaster for KY and America, so Jack Conway gets a lot of leeway from me.  But he needs to be forthright with those he's asking for help from.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:11:38 AM PDT

•  You call this a lot of leeway? (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

If you don't want to give him money then don't.  But don't try to show him up in a fundraising diary during the last two months before an election.

"Thou thoughtest that I was altogether such a one as thyself." Psalms 50:21 h/t R. Browning

by seanwright on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:20:32 AM PDT

•  Asking a question.... (2+ / 0-)
            rock the ground, RenMin

is showing him up?  Okay, then.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:24:08 AM PDT

•  "Asking a question." (2+ / 0-)
              Sandino, elwior

There are all kinds of questions asked in all kinds of ways.  Some of them are of the showing someone up, gotcha variety, some are not.  Your badgering questions and accusatory tone are very much of the showing someone up variety.

by seanwright on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:27:26 AM PDT

•  Bite me (10+ / 0-)

Bronte provided me with a polite, informative clarification of Mr. Conway's stance, without attacking me for asking the damn question.

In case you've missed it, you've been attacking a supporter here.  I've donated a total of $100 in the past month.  May not seem like much to you, but not only do I have a monthly income of only $600, I am currently getting no salary while I fight a workman's comp denial after being injured seriously on the job.

And another thing - I've given my time.  Time that is in short supply.  I've reached out to friends in KY and asked for their votes.  I've recced every single diary posted by Mr. Conway and the quilt crew the second they were posted, and I've shared the diaries on my FB page.  What have you done?

So whatever.  Just keep using these tactics and making friends wherever you go.  Or not.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 09:33:43 AM PDT

•  I'd say asking for Mr. Conway's stance regarding (7+ / 0-)

Bush's tax cut is more than legitimate, especially when most of us see absolutely no reason why it needs to be extended for the rich instead of only for those in the middle class who are struggling financially.

What concerns me the most is that while Mr Conway's supporters are eager to tackle this question from different people either by stepping in to answer it directly or simply asking people to shut up about it, Mr Conway's campaign itself simply refuses to answer the question here even as they're asking for our financial support.

If we can't count on him to take the time to answer a legitimate question that is literally dividing the community here while he needs our help now, what's the chance that he'll answer to his constituents once he's been elected?

•  Okay, Miss Blue, maybe I was a little unfair to (7+ / 0-)

you and I can see, given the background you shared, why you would ask to be bitten by me.  Part of the problem is that I wrongly attributed the phrase "the not so artful dodge" to you, when, in fact, it was jonze who fired that salvo. You actually phrased your question pretty noncombatively and I probably should have responded jonze or skritchard inter alia. My opinion on this issue is that it's not a big deal if he doesn't want to be more definitive. His platform as a whole has been refreshingly progressive for a state like Kentucky and there's no question in my mind that he'd be anything but an asset in the Senate.

by seanwright on Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 11:09:40 AM PDT

•  More LOL (0+ / 0-)

When you can't answer so simple a question, that says a lot.

Oops - I guess that's badgering.

•  Asking a BS question (0+ / 0-)

that is irrelevant but part of a professional dirty tricks trolling campaign is not particularly legitimate. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and consider your mindless nagging to just be sincere ignorance rather than malicious trolling, like that of others harping on the same non-issue.

• Recommended (170)
  • Education (21)
  • Hillary Clinton (21)
  • Politics (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Freddie Gray (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site