View Diary: Should LGBTs vote this year? (265 comments)

•  The Democratic party is not only (2+ / 0-)
    joedemocrat, RadioGirl

about LGBT issue. It is about many other "big tent" issues and to make voting about only LGBT issue as you seem to portray it is small mindedness. Regardless of what you want to do, and I know you will vote holding your nose, and even if you don't, we will not stop fighting for equality and the many other Democratic platform. You are entitled to do what you want to do though.

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 08:33:49 AM PDT

•  I think it's much smarter for us all to (3+ / 0-)

work tirelessly and constructively and forcefully to move ALL of our issues forward.  Of course we're not where we ought to be on LGBTQ issues – but then, too, many of us queers don't feel our issues are well-represented by the big gay nonprofits.  We're also not where we want to be on immigration issues.  On financial reform issues.  Ad infinitum.

The answer is not to pick up our hurt feelings and go away.  The answer is to stay, build stronger, cross-constituency relationships at grassroots levels, and move both the politicians and issues forward.

Teach us to listen to sounds larger than our own heartbeat; that endure longer than our own weeping in the dark. - Lillian Smith

by RadioGirl on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 11:43:38 AM PDT

•  I agree a 1000% with you. (3+ / 0-)
        joedemocrat, RadioGirl, Radical def

In fact, grassroots movement is the only way to really effect progress. Look at Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts, he is a champion for LGBT issues because the State has one of the most liberal thinking minds that has made it easy to effect change. I don't see a reason why State by State, block by block we can't push needed awareness and fight until we change the trajectory of constituents so that it make it easy for poll hunger self centered politicians to have a fucking stand with the ideals of what being a Democrats agenda. BTW, if you have not read Terry's diary from a couple of days. Check it out here. It is brilliant.

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 12:01:21 PM PDT

•  If you're goal is to convince as many (2+ / 0-)
      musing85, Alec82

LGBT Americans as possible to vote for the Democrats, your callous tone will make you fail.

But if you disagree, it's certainly your right to carry on with this "It's not only about you, get over it" business.

Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice. -- Clark's Law

by unspeakable on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 12:06:09 PM PDT

•  I don't have to convince you like I don't... (1+ / 0-)
        joedemocrat

...try to convince my black brothers and sisters that they must vote against their self interest. They know that and you should know that too. This notion I have to convince you to vote is ludicrous to be honest with you. If you have to, hold your nose and vote because the alternative is not fucking pretty. If you don't want to vote, it is your prerogative but don't come try to lecture me I have to politely beg you to vote. You have a duty to vote and know it.

Your imaginative interpretation is noted. But, whateva! Keep projecting...I am not here to fight with you. Good evening!

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 05:16:42 PM PDT

•  Thanks for you kind permission (3+ / 0-)
      musing85, osterizer, Alec82

I know it bothers some people that we are making our rights a priority, but that's okay. It bothers me when others push equality down the list to be dealt with 'at a more convenient time'.

•  It does not bother me a bit (1+ / 0-)
        joedemocrat

because I understand that it is human nature for all of us to forcefully advocate on an issue that affect us or our loved ones. However, I believe the approach we take must also be intersectional as RadioGirl puts it. Fifty years after the civil rights movement, you would think a lot of things have changed for AAs. They are the most poverty stricken demographics with all the prejudice and systemic racism that deprive them of equality but are also the most consistent voting block of the Democratic Party. The fight is non-stop and a long one. You can't just lick your wounds and fold. You got to keep on keepin on fighting the many fights along the way.

...We have many more issues that bind us together than separate us!

by ThisIsMyTime on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 04:57:49 PM PDT