View Diary: Cycling: Air your grievances against drivers here (127 comments)

•  Your approach makes perfect sense. It is (0+ / 0-)

the other situation, I pass you and move to turn right and a biker is behind me.  I usually move into the bike lane so they have to slow down, that way there is no way I can hit them, they may hit me but I am not going to hit them.

"When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

by lakehillsliberal on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 10:37:15 PM PDT

•  If in passing a cyclist... (4+ / 0-)
      sja, luckydog, crose, peachcreek

...only to then turn right, the driver causes the cyclist to slow or change his/her path of travel, in my opinion, the passing maneuver was probably not safe and the driver should have waited for the cyclist to clear the intersection and then made the right turn behind the bicyclist.

Think about it this way: a driver would most like NOT make this maneuver with the other vehicle being a car or truck.  If that's the case, it should not be done with the other vehicle being a bicycle.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander the Great

by The Octopus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 10:43:00 PM PDT

•  Well not exactly, if it was a car, I would (1+ / 0-)
        denise b

move right so that I would be in front and clearly turning and the car would slow down or stop.  If I am in front and can move right after signaling, I think I would have the right of way.

by lakehillsliberal on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 10:51:45 PM PDT

•  Is there a turn lane? (1+ / 0-)
          luckydog

If so, and if the cyclist is going straight, the cyclist should not be in a right turn lane.

If there is not a turn lane, in most places I've driven, a driver passing someone only to then slow and turn right would get a big old horn honk, more often than not.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander the Great

by The Octopus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 10:55:18 PM PDT

•  No, happens all the time but maybe we (0+ / 0-)

are not speaking of the same thing.  You never cut anyone off to turn. Intersections just are not set up to make everyone safe especially bikers traveling straight through when right hand turns are the norm at corners from the right lane.  If you are a car, you move to the left lane if you are moving through the intersection.   I have heard so many stories of bikers being injured by people turning in front of them or opening car doors..traveling in that narrow right lane just does not seem safe.  You would think there was a better solution.

by lakehillsliberal on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:03:56 PM PDT

•  Totally agree (2+ / 0-)
              luckydog, adrianrf

It's very dangerous.  In that kind of situation, I'll come so far to the left that no car could reasonably turn in front of me.  If there is a bike lane, I'll leave it to do so (which is a legal move here in Florida).

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander the Great

by The Octopus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:06:43 PM PDT

•  Your approach seems the safest and it is what I (1+ / 0-)
                The Octopus

would expect a car to do but for some reason drivers don't expect that from bikers and we should.

by lakehillsliberal on Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:09:43 PM PDT

•  Most cyclists I know won't do this. (3+ / 0-)
                  luckydog, lakehillsliberal, adrianrf

There are a lot of riders should would never do this.  They don't feel comfortable being that much in traffic (and I can understand that).  Or they don't want to do something that they see as aggressive or irritating to other road users.  And I can understand that, too.

I feel, at least with that lane positioning, the driver -- unless he or she is totally distracted -- will see me.  They might be pissed because I held them up from their turn for a second or two.  But at least pissed off people see you....  And if I have to choose between "pissed driver" and "accident victim"...  mot much of a debate there.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander the Great