View Diary: I Want To See My Son Marry Before I Die. (273 comments)

•  A marriage license doesn't validate love. (1+ / 0-)
    hillcountry

Neither does marriage.If it did we'd all be married to our kids.

"It's getting late early" - Yogi Berra

by buckshot face on Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 07:24:46 PM PDT

•  No, it doesn't. (7+ / 0-)

The central issue here is that my son wants to get married. He cannot. Sighing and saying "well, marriage won't validate our love, so well just continue to be discriminated against," is not an argument I'm willing to accept. You can percieve marriage in any way that you want. But injustice is injustice. Period.

"Don't compare me with the Almighty, compare me with the alternative!" --VP Biden

by Socratic Method on Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 08:21:48 PM PDT

•  I'm not here to cause an argument. (0+ / 0-)

"Yet they can't validate their love. As if their love needed YOUR goddamned validation.  Love simply is."

I think you just need to read your own words. I understand your anger but there are much worse things in the world than being in love but not having an official document from the gov't to prove it. Kinda like the scarecrow not having a diploma to prove he has brains. In fact, IMO, the less evidence  of gov't validation you have in your life the better. Kinda like Pete Rose not being in the Hall of Fame. They can't take away what Pete Rose did. In fact he may even be more famous for not getting the "validation" he deserves. Same with Shoeless Joe. Shoeless Joe may be one of the most famous baseball players of all-time because they didn't "validate" him. They can't un-validate your sons love by not issuing a marriage license. Are they validating it even more by not "validating" it ? Just ask your friends.

"It's getting late early" - Yogi Berra

by buckshot face on Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 09:04:36 PM PDT

•  Then don't argue... (2+ / 0-)
          irishwitch, CherryTheTart

discrimination is wrong. My son is being systematically discriminated against.

by Socratic Method on Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 09:21:40 PM PDT

•  What you don't get. buckshot, is that (2+ / 0-)
          CherryTheTart, Socratic Method

without that license, partners have to jump through hoops to get the same rights a married straight couple get just for signing the license.  Teh right to inherit property without being challenged by the partner's famil;y. The right to  make medical decisions for the partner and to visit them int he hospital (sure, Obama signed a directive to help--but if it were your beloved lying in a coma, would you ant to have to take his parents to court to gain those rights? If you're gay, you might have to).

I was widowed at 34. I made the decisions about my husband's funeral. Had he been in the hospital, I owuld have made medical decisions for him. His parents would have had to take me to court like Michael Schiavo, and the law would be on my side, not theirs.  In a tinem of criosis a partner shouldn't have to deal with lawsuits ebcause they are losing someone they love deeply.

A legal marriage doesn't validate loves but it bestows legal rights BECAUSE of that love.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 10:01:08 PM PDT

•  But in our society (2+ / 0-)
      irishwitch, Socratic Method

it sure the hell supports it, and the lack of the license--because the license exists for others--validates discrimination.

There are really good arguments for getting the state out of the marriage business, and it's an excellent way to end the discrimination. If churches want to marry people, great. They don't need no stinking license.

Some will marry only heterosexuals, some will marry only Catholics. There may even be some that will only marry gay people, but there won't be many.

But there's just too much case law and tradition that validates state involvement in the marriage process to flip a switch and say government sanctioned marriage no longer exists.

If it were true, they couldn't say it on Fox News. -6.62 -5.90