View Diary: Elizabeth Warren will build new consumer protection bureau (266 comments)

•  So if I buy American Taliban (4+ / 0-)
    taylormattd, Geekesque, BachFan, Matt Z

from Amazon I'm being screwed?

Way to knock down Markos' sales, doc.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 11:54:28 AM PDT

•  Yes... I did this JUST to mess with markos. (0+ / 0-)

Somedays Kossacks simply miss the obvious.

Spray tons of carcinogens into the ocean to hide petroleum spewed from a hastily-drilled hole from a greedy corporation, but don't smoke pot.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 11:55:35 AM PDT

•  Evidently you missed the snark (4+ / 0-)
        Lestatdelc, taylormattd, Matt Z, DarkWater

Most transactions between smaller corporations and consumers are on the up and up. When I buy a book from Amazon, I know what I'm getting, and Amazon has competition.

It's when the product in question is not something most of us understand (financial instruments) or when there's no real competition, that consumers get screwed.

So the idea that corporation = fraud, every time, or even most times, is wrong. You are getting carried away by rhetorical excess.

by blue aardvark on Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 11:59:15 AM PDT

•  I believe you actually know what I am talking (0+ / 0-)

about.

The question is so basic: WHY, oh WHY, are we even discussion consumer fraud protection and why, oh why, is it being fought so bitterly?

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 12:00:57 PM PDT

•  Fraud goes both ways (0+ / 0-)

Consumers also commit fraud against businesses all the time. So spare me your cartoon vision of only the little guy gets screwed by business bullshit.

cheers,

Mitch Gore

Who is a Tea Partier? Someone who listens to Glenn Beck. Who's an anti-Tea Partier? Someone who understands Glenn Beck

by Lestatdelc on Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 12:20:37 PM PDT

•  I did miss the snark - typing notes at work (0+ / 0-)

where I work for a private corporation that doesn't seem to rip people off blindly. Seem being the operative term.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 12:04:31 PM PDT