View Diary: FABULOUS YOM KIPPUR FRY'DAZE - (I/P Open Thread) (196 comments)

•  A lot of it is latent... (2+ / 0-)
    thebluecrayon, volleyboy1

I don't think I remember something, and then when I actually start using some Hebrew it comes back to me.  It happens when I go to shul for Rosh Hashanah and spend two mornings in shul (four hours each day goes a long way, even if it's much more formal and somewhat archaic Hebrew).  It's also happened here because all of a sudden I'm in a place where people are using Hebrew here and there.

Please be advised: The contents of this comment are merely my opinion.

by Mets102 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 11:28:52 PM PDT

•  Oh you went Rosh Hashanah too? (1+ / 0-)
      Mets102

I thought you didn't get to go then.  My favorite parts are actually the Aramaic.  Sounds so rhythmical and different.

It sure was relaxing to have a day of news blackout.

The latent knowledge is a most fascinating thing.  I get that with French sometimes.  Doubt that I'll ever get it all back though.

How did you find this site anyway and whatever possessed you to start posting diaries in I/P? ;)  I think these diaries should have a "Wait, are you sure you really want to enter?" and a Sakana (danger) warning sign.  LMAO.  I sure could've used one.  No offense to volley, you or any other diarist, but y'all know what I mean.

•  I didn't go this Rosh Hashanah... (1+ / 0-)
        thebluecrayon

I'm talking about those years when I do go.  Having 2 days of 4+ hours of Hebrew makes a difference and it comes back.  With the latent knowledge, I bet if you spent 6 months or a year in France it would come back fairly quickly.  Still, if I ever did decide to make aliyah, I would take Hebrew classes here first so that my level when studying in ulpan in Israel was that much higher.

I've been lurking here off and on probably for 4-5 years, but only signed up about a year-and-a-half ago.  I have a friend that wrote a decent amount of diaries, but eventually became a lurker (although he did post a comment in the past week).  His UID is like in the 20,000s or 30,000s.

As for getting into I/P, it was the whole Gaza mess and hearing the beating Israel was taking without even bothering to investigate what had actually happened.  A lot of that came out in venting in my first I/P diary about the fact that there shouldn't be yet another immediate rush to condemn Israel.

Finally, with respect to the idea of a warning, I understand perfectly.  However, considering the very real dangers Israelis face everyday, the pie fights we get into here are absolutely nothing in comparison.  Worst that happens here is someone insults me and I move on.

Please be advised: The contents of this comment are merely my opinion.

by Mets102 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 at 12:17:29 AM PDT

•  You may get the record for longest lurking (1+ / 0-)
          Mets102

period.  Wow.  I was probably only here a month or two before I signed up.  It was election time b/t McCain and Obama.  It was great to find other people so into that election. There was one diary series that actually got me posting regularly.  Although the series is still here, the editor got the boot, sadly.

Those first I/P diaries of yours were certainly trial by fire.  Hope you didn't mind the questions, I always am curious what drew other people in.  For myself, the Gaza war was not too much after I signed up.  There were many rec list I/P diaries.  My reaction was...it was eye-opening, shall we say.

Of course when you're talking about the physical dangers in Israel/Palestine, nothing here compares.  The insults don't bother me, it's other things.  But fortunately, I'm still in the holiday frame of mind, so I won't elaborate at this point. :)

6 mos in Paris sounds wonderful right about now.  And UID in the 20-30,000?  Why that's almost an antique.

Lila Tov to you and vb.  Enjoyed the post-holiday chat.

•  Todah... (3+ / 0-)
            thebluecrayon, hikerbiker, volleyboy1

And I think the only reason I really signed up initially is because I wanted to comment in my friend's diary.  It's funny the reason things can happen.  Despite reading some blogs, I never caught on to the whole blogging thing until recently.  What brought me somewhat loyally to here was during the 2008 primary season when I really started reading.  I was an Obama supporter in the primaries (third choice behind Gore and then Biden) despite being from New York.

Questions are fine.  I've always been taught that questioning is good.

As for trial by fire, yeah, I think that's a pretty good line to describe what it was like when I jumped back in here and it was into I/P.

Please be advised: The contents of this comment are merely my opinion.

by Mets102 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 at 01:15:19 AM PDT

•  So True, Mets (2+ / 0-)
              volleyboy1, Mets102

It's funny the reason things can happen.

The smallest occurences or happenstance lead to big change.

I'm so glad you understand the question thing.  My parents always said that as well.

Someone helped me out with the Hebrew today and...

יש לי עברית במחשב

Finally!

Also learned a site that has Israeli TV shows.  So that should help me brush up.  I watched a few clips from their version of American Idol (Cochav Nolad) and the beginning of a political satire show (Eretz Nehederet).

•  :-) ... (2+ / 0-)
                thebluecrayon, volleyboy1

left off the "שלי" at the end though.

How difficult is it to switch between languages?

The double-edged sword for me is that my Hebrew isn't good enough where I can get by without subtitles, but if I have subtitles I don't know if I'd ever learn by watching.  Although, it has led to the situations where I do know the words and the subtitle precedes the line, thereby causing me to say it to myself in my head before it's actually spoken on screen.

Please be advised: The contents of this comment are merely my opinion.

by Mets102 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 at 08:14:15 PM PDT

•  I know, I got lazy (2+ / 0-)
                  volleyboy1, Mets102

I should've put on the שלי

It's not that hard to switch between languages, once you've finally got it installed properly (!).  There's a shortcut, you press Left Alt + Shift.  Then press it again when you want to switch back.

Yeah, we've got opposite problems in Hebrew sort of.  My typing skills are not there, but my understanding fluency is good.  Meanwhile you're planning to IM in Hebrew?  If I tried that, it would take lightyears especially since I don't know the keyboard and keep having to refer back to the guide.  It'll come though...at least I hope.

I think subtitled films do help.  I remember we watched quite a few when I studied French.  It was cumulative.  As we watched more, we had to rely less on the subtitles.  But everybody has different ways they learn best.

•  v'laila tov gam at n/t (2+ / 0-)
            thebluecrayon, volleyboy1

Please be advised: The contents of this comment are merely my opinion.

by Mets102 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 at 01:16:42 AM PDT

•  As for I.P. on DKos (3+ / 0-)
            thebluecrayon, hikerbiker, Mets102

I came here because of the election and I supported Pres. Obama (well, candidate Obama at the time). Then I saw my first I/P diary and waded in full bore. I was immediately accused of being a sock or zombie and got HR'd to oblivion. But I learned from people here - more than I had known and learned how to discuss here (not that I am good at it). People realized I was being honest in my posting and gradually things got better.

I really like this site and the info. I get here is pretty good. I feel informed when talking to conservative friends. I/P.... I care, what can I tell you.

Please Note: The contents of this comment are only my opinion

by volleyboy1 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 at 08:14:52 AM PDT