View Diary: EcoAdvocates: A Declaration of Interdependence (65 comments)

•  Oh, I'm sorry (1+ / 0-)
    citisven

I didn't know comments were required to address all points in the body. Have you asked everyone else for all points too?

But I think resilience includes multiple strategies for stuff like food. And having locally produced fish would be a very nice redundancy.

Community is crucial to our survival. That's why I work to raise scientific literacy and public health in my community.

And I hope that climate activism uses science-based solutions in the form of many silver bbs. Personally I can't participate in any 10.10.10 activities because we have a family wedding that day. But I'd donate my 100 mpg scooter if you want to ride it!

"It's not like she's marrying out of her species or anything," Ms. Lynch said.

by mem from somerville on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:06:45 PM PDT

•  not required at all (0+ / 0-)

but thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I do think locally produced fish is going to be really important. I'm working with an African American community in West Oakland who is building an aquaponic system based on Will Allen's Growing Power program. I think this is one great way to get communities involved directly in providing food and to keep the oceans from being overfished.

I agree that science is important as a foundation, so thanks for doing the work you do. My work is in the creative field, which I think is also going to be very important since we really need to re-imagine how we want the world we live in to look like.

Have fun at the wedding, and thanks for the scooter offer, I'll pass for now -- my bike and legs are getting me everywhere I need to go -- but might take you up on it in the future ;-)

Safari mzuri Ahsante sana :: Journey beautiful Thank you very much!

by citisven on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:25:41 PM PDT

•  That's what I can't quite grok-- (0+ / 0-)

people want to have some urban farming, and reduce demands on the wild populations. But they are so resistant to these fish at the same time.

If they grow faster, they require less resourcing to grow them--you only have to tank and maintain them for half the time. Anyone who could do math on that ought to understand the environmental benefit.

It's like being opposed to solar panels because they use chemicals. I know there are some people who are opposed to them on that basis. But if you look at all the positives, panels win.

"It's not like she's marrying out of her species or anything," Ms. Lynch said.

by mem from somerville on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:32:51 PM PDT

•  I think it's a valid point (0+ / 0-)

I'm just wondering whether we really need the GE fish if they can be farm-raised relatively easy without it. I certainly understand the issue of scale and speed, but perhaps if we have more of the aquaponic systems in more communities we wouldn't need the "superfish." I guess some of my concern is that the whole idea of speeding up our food growing process runs counter to what I believe is a need for humans to slow our pace and get reconnected with the basics. You know, we've made it to over 6 billion humans without the GE fish, why charge it up any more. I may be wrong, but certainly a complex issue that I think goes beyond just science. And I totally appreciate your perspective, and I'm sure it'll continue to be discussed among intelligent people on all sides of the issue. I'm just not that excited about it, that's all.

Safari mzuri Ahsante sana :: Journey beautiful Thank you very much!

by citisven on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:50:20 PM PDT

•  Maybe you are wondering for your situation (0+ / 0-)

but do you feel qualified to withhold this from others who want it?

There are plenty of examples in the wild of variations that grow faster or more muscular than other related species. For example, in grad school I studied double-muscle cattle as part of my project. Naturally occurring effect on musculature.

"It's not like she's marrying out of her species or anything," Ms. Lynch said.

by mem from somerville on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 07:11:28 PM PDT

•  well, I could turn that around (1+ / 0-)
              RosyFinch

and ask you, do you feel qualified to force this on others who don't want it?

I think the least that could be done is to put a label on it that says clearly what it is and where it came from. Then everybody can make their own decision whether they'd like to eat it or not. Can we agree on that?

Safari mzuri Ahsante sana :: Journey beautiful Thank you very much!

by citisven on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 09:02:09 PM PDT

•  one time i jumped into 1 of eddie c's diaries to (2+ / 0-)
      Eddie C, citisven

beg or a rec for one of our series. I scanned through the pictures and of course was so impressed that I wrote the standard comment about what talent, how the streets just almost breahted, etc. It was so good that i just of course would never befoul it with a request for a rec. BUT  it turns out to be one of Eddie's most brilliant, well researched (he'd been working on it for EVER diaries on photography in NY.

And he responded graciously with thanks but noted that he was hoping with this diary to draw more commenary on what he had unearthed and on the history and the photographers etc.

God, was I embarassed.

What did you do when you knew? boatsie

by boatsie on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 08:45:24 PM PDT

•  well, it was a highlighted segment (0+ / 0-)

of the diary like any of the others. And I still don't see everyone else required to speak to all the other pieces.

I've never seen the requirement that if you are going to comment on one item you have to comment on all of them. But I'll know that for the future!

"It's not like she's marrying out of her species or anything," Ms. Lynch said.

by mem from somerville on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 08:48:38 PM PDT

•  it's all good (0+ / 0-)

we can talk about that one segment all night if you'd like to. Obviously that is your niche and area of interest. Nobody is requiring you to do otherwise, so please stop saying we're requiring you to do anything. But since I did put in the most time in the part that is my original thought and that is supposed to be the gist of the diary, you can't fault me for being more interested in talking about interdependence and community.

Safari mzuri Ahsante sana :: Journey beautiful Thank you very much!

by citisven on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 08:59:00 PM PDT

•  absolutely nobody is expecting you or anyone (1+ / 0-)
          citisven

to comment on every aspect of a min=zine. that would be entirely too much ... my god, we have enough trouble at it is getting people to read and post a comment at all. You hung out, carried on some conversation. Fabulous. Thanks.

What did you do when you knew? boatsie