View Diary: Let the President invoke Truman (443 comments)

•  Nice attempt at conflation there (0+ / 0-)

Even you know this is 100% BS.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything...Mankind are forever destined to be the dupes of bold & cunning imposture" --Alexander Hamilton

by kovie on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 05:08:02 AM PDT

•  enlighten me (1+ / 0-)
      cacamp

What's the difference between lumping all Southerners together and lumping all people of any other Granfalloon together?

I'm not a Southerner, I'm a Texan, so I don't have a dog in this fight other than the principle

"The Universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it." Marcus Aurelius

by Mosquito Pilot on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 05:20:41 AM PDT

•  Um, Texas is part of the south (0+ / 0-)

It was part of the Confederacy and its original white settlers were (and I'd bet still are) mostly of southern origin, its dominant culture and accents are southern, etc.

And if people had to qualify every remark, they'd never stop typing. Obviously no one's lumping all southerners together and are referring to the racists and bigots. Today's racist and bigoted GOP is derived from a racist and bigoted southern core. Same goes for the racist and bigoted elements in our party. Um, Nixon's "Southern Strategy"?

Also, I'm from the northeast originally, and if you complained about how northeast liberals tend to be elitist snobs, I'd agree with you. They are.

by kovie on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 05:46:54 AM PDT

•  Now you're gonna tell (0+ / 0-)

me about the place that I, four generations before me and one after me were born and live(d)?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas ain't the south.  <--that's a period amigo</p>

by Mosquito Pilot on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 04:52:17 PM PDT

•  I don't care how long you've lived there (0+ / 0-)

Texas is, was and always will be part of the American south, geographically, culturally and politically. I'll allow that the panhandle is more midwestern and the area west of the Pecos is more southwestern, and that Texas has always had an independant streak. But the cultural and political core of Texas has always been southern. It was a slave state founded by southerners, it eagerly joined the confederacy, it aligned itself politically with other southern states after the Civil War, and to this day is politically, ideologically and culturally aligned with the south, despite pockets of progressivism and other post-medieval thinking. Hell, Texans even have a southern drawl, Texas version. Come on.

I'm guessing that like many Texans, you prefer to think of your state as different, special, above mere regionalism. That whole lone star state silliness. So hold on to your myths if you like, but it doesn't change the fact that Texas is part of the south.

by kovie on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 05:58:42 AM PDT

•  ALL southerners? (0+ / 0-)

I didn't say anything of the sort but dont let facts slow you down.

First I was being pissy and I shouldn't have.  Still there are enough bastards in the south to repeatedly elect crazies.  This is a major problem for the country and the world.  I don't know what it is that this shit passes for acceptable in mainstream southern culture.

And don't get me started on Texas.  I'm Californian and we are dealing yet again with Texas oil companies trying to take over our political process and your state is trying to sue us to stop our action on climate change but frankly we ought to have silicon valley launch enough cyber attacks to bring Texas to her knees.   I'm sorry you have to live with those crazies.

I wish more people were thoughtful and honest but being outraged is too much fun I suppose

by Guinho on Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:18:46 AM PDT