View Diary: Can We Talk About Fatal Cases of Depression? (226 comments)

•  I've been depressed for 30 years (5+ / 0-)

been on probably two dozen meds, none of which did a damn thing. The best of them improved my sleep a bit. Honestly, cannabis worked better for me than the whole catalog of "mood enhancers." Talk therapy was the biggest waste of time of my life, and believe me I know how to waste time. I hate exercise. I'm about to try meditation classes for the second time. For me, depression is a battle with a much stronger opponent who refuses to finish you off. I have absolutely no reason to think being alive is better than being dead - for me. The mess I would leave behind, the other lives that would be harder if I weren't here - they are why I haven't ended it before now. Had I just one fewer relationship 20 years ago, I would have ended it then. They don't make life better, necessarily, but they make leaving it too costly and stick others with the metaphorical bill.

into the blue again, after the money's gone

by Prof Haley on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 03:00:19 PM PDT

•  Talk Therapy (6+ / 0-)

I don't know if it has ever helped directly, but I know that it at least gave me something to do, and that making it to my appointment and back was often the only accomplishment I could speak of in a week.

It helped that my therapist was also my prescriber, and she was very good at tweaking this or that until we got it right. Sadly, she has retired. My family doc writes the 'scrips now, but I don't know what I'll do if I need to make a change.

Weenie liberals of the world unite! ...soccergrandmom

by Giles Goat Boy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 03:07:02 PM PDT

•  If cannabis works . . . (6+ / 0-)

but meditation hasn't so far, have you ever tried smudging?  One of our traditional methods of cleansing (as well as healing, and a method of offering prayers).  It does help me a bit - and sometimes, even the tiniest bit is a lifesaver, literally.  Some years back, there was a study in Europe (Denmark, IIRC) where they hooked people up to PET scans to watch the effects of their brains as the inhaled the smoke - demonstrable lessening of stress in the relevant areas.

I use cedar, sage, sweetgrass, and asemaa (our word for tobacco, but kinnickinnick rather than commercial tobacco - uva ursi, basically).  You can by, for anywhere from two to five bucks a opp, smudge bundles at health-food shops (dried cedar and sage bundled together).  Might be worth a try.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 03:43:47 PM PDT

•  Doesn't resonate at all (3+ / 0-)
        ladybug53, kyril, Aji

Not going to burn anything in the house. I was in a room once that had been smudged [sage is the only herb I can identify - it was a yoga retreat in a shared space] and I certainly could not tell you what would be the difference between that room, and that room not smudged. But I don't pray and have no spiritual path at all. An aesthetician I see uses chamomile and other scented stuff and I'd be fine if it didn't smell.

into the blue again, after the money's gone

by Prof Haley on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 03:58:20 PM PDT

•  LOL - "I'd be fine if it didn't smell." (5+ / 0-)

If it doesn't work for ya, it doesn't work.  And for some people, smells can trigger a bout of depression, too.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 04:08:00 PM PDT

•  Smells are awful. (2+ / 0-)
            Prof Haley, Aji

I normally have a below average sense of smell, but when I'm depressed, it's like my nose picks up every scent and magnifies it to a ludicrous degree. It makes me not want to eat, so if I eat it's small bites of very bland food.

Weenie liberals of the world unite! ...soccergrandmom

by Giles Goat Boy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 06:30:29 PM PDT

•  My sense of smell is poor also (1+ / 0-)
              Giles Goat Boy

but it doen't get better or worse with mood. I just usually think of smells as intrusions, unless I'm looking for information [like, about dinner]. Certain smells evoke specific memories, but that's true of other sensory experience too.

into the blue again, after the money's gone