View Diary: RKBA: Vaulting for safety (81 comments)

•  I'll admit (14+ / 0-)

I don't usually read these diaries, so I can't attest to the quality of the series, but this one was great.  Of course, any diary featuring an attack cat is automatically elevated in my mind, but still...

In Switzerland, all houses are built with what you'd describe as a gun room.  It adds to the cost of the house, but since every male from 18 to 34 (older in some cases) is a member of the Swiss Army, and they're required to keep their weapons (no, not just Swiss Army knives) at home, it's part of the building code.

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

by puzzled on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 04:39:04 AM PDT

•  Thanks. (12+ / 0-)

Every once in a while I try for funny. I'm no NCrissieB but I'd like to think I hit what I'm aiming for at least part of the time...

I'd love to have a gun room. Just not in the cards until I get my own house (which is quite a while away.)

(RKBA) Right to Keep and Bear Arms: interested in a DKos RKBA group? Email in profile. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 04:43:41 AM PDT

•  Here's an interesting article (11+ / 0-)

about Switzerland, and efforts by their own anti-gunners to remove guns from the home because of the possibility of their use in suicides.

The comment thread is very instructive.

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 05:59:40 AM PDT

•  so the country that has LEGALIZED suicide is (11+ / 0-)

worried about people using their LEGALLY owned firearms to commit suicide?  Put me down as being confused.

BTW, on a non-firearms related note, I watched a PBS special once about Doctor assisted suicide that was filmed in Switzerland.  Thanks, but no thanks.  The guy took the poison and had HALF AN HOUR to keep talking with his friends and contemplate the fact that he was about to die.

I'd take the firearm in a heartbeat over having a friggen half hour to think about the fact that I'm about to die.  About the only reason I can think of NOT to use a firearm is the fact that my death would be more ammo for the anti-RKBA crowd.

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box. Use in that order.

by Crookshanks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 07:56:01 AM PDT

•  the avg Dr has terrible bedside manners (6+ / 0-)

Now Image that jerk encouraging enabling you to kill yourself...

Anyone who marries more than twice, deserves their 1st wife back- Groucho

by OMwordTHRUdaFOG on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 08:45:53 AM PDT

•  Well, if you really mean it... (5+ / 0-)

That is, if you've really made the determination to suicide, your mind is made up, then that half hour isn't going to really do anything more than provide some final time to make sure you've cleaned the cat litter for whomever is going to be coming along, make sure the last of the garbage is taken to the curb, fold the last load of laundry for the goodwill folks, and so on.

However, if you've taken the slow acting poison and only then, when there are no more mental and emotional curtains behind which to hide from yourself, if at that point it comes forth that you really want to live no matter what sort of existence it is - then that half hour is the time to get the stomach pumped and take a neutralizer for the poison.

I knew two who were terminal, wasted away, and it's hard to explain but the poison route that gives elbow room for a last minute decision change is better than any route that doesn't allow for a last minute decision change, although personally I think the truly terminal should get their choice whatever it may be, even if it's strapping themselves to a homemade rocket like The Astronaut Farmer or skydiving from near earth orbit without a chute. But, ultimately the use of a gun really is susceptible to what can be a temporary grip of depression, and the availability of such really is a destabilizing thing in a very mentally-destabilizing medical situation. This is one of those things that easily may not be understandable by those who haven't experienced it.

It Takes A Village To Keep The Peace...(RKBA).......(-7.12, -5.54)

by JayFromPA on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 11:21:06 AM PDT

•  Your final line is so very important (7+ / 0-)

"This is one of those things that easily may not be understandable by those who haven't experienced it."

Personally having faced a diagnosis of lymphatic cancer (at Roswell Park here in Buffalo) and being told I had 1 of 2 options:

1. Go through chemo and live, maybe 2 yrs.
            1. Not do anything and die within a yr.

Each of us must face our own mortality on our terms. I chose the latter.  The decision was not an easy one, but it came down to how I wanted to die.

Did I want to die already dead with no hair, drugged up to deaden the pain and not knowing I was even alive?

Or did I want to die enjoying what time was left, fully aware of my friends, family and loved ones? Enjoying life for all that it was, facing life and death for what they truly are. A beginning and an end.

I wanted to enjoy life, knowing the wonders and awe of nature and truly appreciating the most simplest of things, like the finches' chatter around 4pm every day when they gathered in my bushes.  What are they talking about?  The days events of where there's good food to be found or are they talking about "Bob finch" and his fancy flying skills or "Steve finch's sexy walk?

I'm truly grateful I took the time to "stop and smell the roses."

You see, the growths on my kidney's they found and the excruciating pain I had had for almost 2 yrs finally stopped.  By the way, those growths are still there and I feel them every once in awhile.

That was 13 yrs ago. And dammit, I'm still here! And I have wonderful pondering's to reflect upon.

Who knows what one will decide when they come to that bridge? Will they cross it? Or will they look for another bridge or even another way around?

I know in my heart today, it must be the privy of each individual.

•  roswell took good care of my friend who had (5+ / 0-)

non-Hodgkin's.  Did they screw up your diagnosis or have you managed to beat the odds for this long?  Either way, glad you are still with us :)

I hadn't realized you are from Buffalo.  If you don't mind my asking, have you ever tried to get your concealed carry license out there?  I'm told that it's practically impossible in Erie County.

by Crookshanks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 12:09:50 PM PDT

•  Thanks, I don't honestly know the answer (4+ / 0-)

Roswell was the final place I was sent to by my Primary, after almost a year of seeing 3 different doctors, being told different things.  One said I was passing kidney stones, another said I had a bladder infection and ultimately Roswell telling me that I had lymphatic cancer. They wanted to do a biopsy to confirm what my blood and x-rays were showing.

They reviewed the options with me and set up an appointment in 3 weeks for me to go in and have the biopsy, they gave me instructions on what I was to do the night before but that morning, I just didn't go.

I decided I wanted nothing more to do with doctors.  I just walked away. I had taken time off from work to prepare and I ended up just getting in my car and driving.  I found myself at my Mom's house 5 hours away and said nothing.  I continued that drive after the short visit and I found myself in the town I grew up in, Texas, NY and by the time I made my way back home to Buffalo peace was coming over me.

I know that what they said and what has happened are two different things.  I don't know if they were mistaken or if I've been just lucky.

As for the concealed carry, nope never tried or applied for one.

•  amazing how a good long drive can clear your (3+ / 0-)
                  gerrilea, KVoimakas, theatre goon

head and body isn't it?  I think it's the solitude and open road, at least for me.

by Crookshanks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 01:23:44 PM PDT

•  And some good music to listen to...like Olivia (3+ / 0-)
                    Crookshanks, KVoimakas, theatre goon

Newton-John, or the Carpenters or Dan Fogelberg...ops...it's out...I'm a nerd for soft music...LOL...

And yes, the drive was wonderful.

I used to take "day trips" to where ever I end up...just get into the car and drove "thatta way".

Some of the prettiest sections of road I drove on was 80 right through the heart of PA, there's a section there that you feel like you are part of the picture you're seeing...truly awesome.

•  I-81 in Virgina through the Blue Ridge is like (2+ / 0-)
                      gerrilea, KVoimakas

that.  One of my favorite drives.

I also like driving out US-20 when I visit your town.  50 miles less than the Thruway, no tolls and great scenery.  It's getting too much truck traffic these days (not that I blame them for not paying to pay the tolls on I-90) but it's still a good drive.

by Crookshanks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 02:21:01 PM PDT

•  +1 to this (4+ / 0-)

Though for me, it's a good long ride. The open road, the roar of the pipes through my ear plugs, the feel of the wind against your face, the leaning through curves and corners, the power awaiting just a twist of your wrist. When I ride, I'm truly free.

by KVoimakas on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 10:05:28 PM PDT

•  Slight correction... (12+ / 0-)

A good friend of my wife's in an architect in Switzerland (my wife is an architect as well). We visited him about a decade ago, and he took us around to see a house he had designed that was under construction. This 'hard room' topic came up, and the explanation we got was that it is actually a bomb shelter, built to very stringent specs, which has to be in size proportion to the number of people who could live in the house. And from what I saw of the construction in process, it'd stand up to a damned powerful explosion.

Read or *listen to* my SF novel for free. (-7.13/-7.33)

by Shadan7 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 06:00:23 AM PDT

•  Do they return the weapons at age 35? (9+ / 0-)

or do they get to keep them?
      Do you have to have a  gun room if youre over 35?
      And they don't allow women in their army with equal rights/responsibilities?
      good thing they haven't beeen atttacked in, oh, say 7 or 8 hundred years