View Diary: Senate Snapshot, October 4th: Cross the streams (107 comments)

•  It still deeply upsets me (5+ / 0-)

to see Ohio at the very bottom of that list, a race that was tied through the middle of the summer, a race we could have won, had Lee Fisher cared enough to start campaigning before Labor Day and also bothered to mend the rift with his primary opponent's supporters instead of continuing to blame her for his being behind. If anyone in his camp blames her for his eventual loss, I'll be so disgusted.

We should have been able to win Ohio.

De-orangify Congress: Justin Coussoule for Oh-08 http://www.coussouleforcongress.com/

by anastasia p on Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 07:19:02 PM PDT

•  I read somewhere that there was a debate tonight (0+ / 0-)

And Portman smacked Fisher around on the Asian Carp issue and how the Dems and Obama are sleeping on it.  I think that was very smart as it's a big issue for the great lakes states and is largely ignored nationally.

Grassroot passion comes and goes - Corporate interest in consistent. Message being that if you want to stay elected then sell-out, it's safer.

by Jonze on Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 07:21:47 PM PDT

•  Asian carp? (1+ / 0-)
        askew

Seriously? THAT was the big issue? Jeez. No, it's not some huge issue that "Dems and Obama are sleeping on." It's not an issue up here in Cleveland at all. It's barely on anyone's radar, and it's fairly complicated and not some huge, looming danger the way it's been made out to be by some alarmists. If all Portman did was "smack Fisher around" about this issue, the debate must have been a real snooze and not much of a mind-changer or victory for anyone.

by anastasia p on Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 07:46:29 PM PDT

•  I was so surprised by your concern (0+ / 0-)

abut Asian carp that I went and looked up what was going on. Basically nothing. They are still talking about that one carp that got through the electric gates into Lake Michigan that my paper wrote about last year. Nothing further has happened. The issue is totally off the local radar in ohio. But Obama appointed an Asian carp director last month to prevent anything from happening, so Portman is lying his ass off if he did indeed whine about Democrats and Obama not doing anything about this singularly unpressing issue. If this was indeed the tenor of the debate, what a shame they couldn't have talked about things that actually matter to Ohioans.

I just don't even want to watch the debate because it's depressing. Maybe if Lee Fisher had condescended to acknowledge Jennifer Brunner's existence and debate her during the primary, he might be better prepared.

by anastasia p on Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 09:09:44 PM PDT

•  He has the ability to snatch defeat (0+ / 0-)

from the jaws of victory.  I hope Chris Redfern & Co. are happy now.  If Brunner were the candidate, I think she'd be leading now.  She is a great candidate and I doubt she'll run for office again.  What a shame.  What should have been an easy pick up will be gone for 6 years.

•  From the inside gossip I have heard (0+ / 0-)

Redfern wasn't very happy with the arm-twisting for Lee, and much of it came out of the governor's office, which i didn't initially think was all that involved. (The governor didn't appear to be doing that much publicly for Lee beyond endorsing him). I think a lot of people initially sat out on the governor's campaign because they were really resentful once it leaked out, but have started to be active in the last month and come home to Strickland — but not to Lee (Several active Democrats I know who have already voted left the race blank). I think Ted Strickland has been a great governor, but involving his office in the arm-twisting and bullying to crush Jennifer's fundraising and force her out of the race on the fiction that she "couldn't raise money" was very poor judgment. And that poor judgment is now hurting Lee.

By the way, Jennifer IS planning to come back and run for office again, although she's not clear exactly for what.

by anastasia p on Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 08:59:42 PM PDT

•  I never warmed to Strickland (0+ / 0-)

There was just something about him I couldn't put my finger on but I felt he was DLc, sucked up all the money in 2006 after it became obvious he'd win.  He didn't care about take back the legislature and it hurt him and the party.  They pushed Chandra out of the race in favor of Dann.  That was a horrible mistake.  Brunner was a far superior candidate.  Fisher just can't campaign.

•  you're not helping & don't seem to care (0+ / 0-)

"Intolerance is something which belongs to the religions we have rejected." - J.J. Rousseau

by James Allen on Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 11:29:56 PM PDT