View Diary: Science Tidbits (38 comments)

•  As A Huge Foodie, I Mean A Huge Foodie (4+ / 0-)
    RunawayRose, possum, allep10, Larsstephens

I follow some of the more bizarre (and expensive) trends in the industry. I can tell you folks will pay a shit load of money for stuff. I mean tens of thousands of dollars for this or that.

I can almost see them, and I think it is safe to say they could always use more funding, this would make for one heck of a fundraiser.

Maybe I ought to contact the guy and pitch the idea :).

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 12:49:12 PM PDT

•  There you are. (5+ / 0-)

And they likely will need an ad guy to push the stuff.  I can already imagine getting a bottle of ancient water at our next fine dinner out.  So when do you start?

We in Possum Valley do not follow trends in food but we do enjoy fine food at every opportunity.  Just home today from a trip to the beach where we had two of the finest meals of our lifetime.  One just never knows what will be found by seeking and trying a fine restaurant from the local listings.

Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.--Edward Everett

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 12:51:52 PM PDT

•  Now I Ponder This A Little (4+ / 0-)
        RunawayRose, possum, allep10, Larsstephens

if it would work, and it would, the next thing you know you'd have companies raping every glacier they could find to bottle the stuff.

In hindsight, maybe not such a good idea. Forget I mentioned it.

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 12:53:44 PM PDT

•  OK. (5+ / 0-)

Never heard the idea.  You are right to consider the ramifications.  We already have enough spring water drawn from deep reservoirs in the name of profit.  Better to learn to salvage our planet than to keep on with the push to feed foodies.

But how about asking for a taste?  Is that too much to ask?

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 12:55:48 PM PDT

•  Had To Step Out. I Do Know A Place (4+ / 0-)
            RunawayRose, possum, allep10, Larsstephens

in NYC uses some glacial ice when they serve like a $500 glass of whiskey. But nothing, I mean nothing close to this. Just off the top of the surface or a few feet below it.

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 01:37:32 PM PDT

•  The glacial ice story is one that passes around (5+ / 0-)

here sometimes.  We don't circulate in those spheres.  One friend drinks $50 per shot Scotch but the wife and I don't drink at all.

Beef now is another story.  We don't get Kobe here but we do get some really fine seafood and meats in the right places.

At least we can dream about $500 whiskey for others.  :)

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 01:39:53 PM PDT

•  I Don't Venture There Often Myself (4+ / 0-)
                RunawayRose, possum, allep10, Larsstephens

I do like $50 bottle of vodkas. Plus my grandfather when he passed away had one heck of a wine cellar, but I don't like wine. My brother and his wife got all that, they have around 1,000 bottles (in climate controlled fridges). I shutter to think how much a few of those bottles are worth. Personally I can't tell the different between a $10 bottle and a $100 bottle.

But, he was also a huge fan of some scotch that is around $500 a bottle these day. I have a couple, only drank one of them. And my god, it is like the nectar of the gods (and I don't like scotch BTW).

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 01:46:37 PM PDT

•  The smell of pricy Scotch is as close as we come (4+ / 0-)

around here, but the smell is enough to suggest the flavor must be wonderful.  And I never liked Scotch, either.  Still...

A closet of fine wine was a dream of mine long ago.  Now those thoughts are left behind in a life left behind.  Still there are lots of pleasures to be had these days.

In today's economic times a $50 bottle of Vodka does not seem unreasonable.  Why not if one has the tastes and the wallet?  Good for you.

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 01:50:10 PM PDT

•  I'm More Of A "Good" Beer Guy (4+ / 0-)
                    RunawayRose, possum, allep10, Larsstephens

But I do like myself a vodka on the rocks with a twist of lemon from time to time. Now with that said there was a time in my life, before I started working for myself (which I wouldn't change BTW), where I almost made more money then I could spent.

Got into the higher end vodkas then. And IMHO there is a huge different in taste. Now if I am making a Bloody Mary or something with a mixer I get the $12 bottle.

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 01:53:38 PM PDT

•  As memory serves, (4+ / 0-)

a shot with a twist was a worthy investment with the best alcohol being truly a fine thing.  A mixed drink kills the flavor to a point where there is not enough difference.

The same holds with coffee around Possum Valley.  We use fine coffee and filtered water when we care and canned stuff with tap water when the caffeine is the goal.

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 01:57:15 PM PDT

•  As For Coffee, Where We Seperated At Birth? (3+ / 0-)
                        RunawayRose, possum, Larsstephens

that is exactly how I do it. I can be a coffee snob, but good coffee isn't cheap. If I want a good cup I use my press and good beans. If I just want caffeine, well the canned stuff works just fine.

Now with that said, I did make a good investment a few years ago. I got this coffee maker. Has a flirtation system and grinder built in.

It was worth every penny.

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 02:02:58 PM PDT

•  That coffee maker is going on my (3+ / 0-)
                          RunawayRose, webranding, Larsstephens

wish list.  I use a burr grinder and a drip machine most days.  For better coffee the grinder and French press are brought to the fore.

When our friend from Barcelona is in town out come the expresso makers.  What is not to love about fine coffee?  Black, straight from the pot, steamy hot.

Just last night we had very fine coffee in a restaurant.  Topped off one of the best meals we ever ate.  The perfect topping in my mind.

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 02:09:35 PM PDT

•  I Swear I Am Not Making This Up. Little Story (3+ / 0-)
                            RunawayRose, possum, Larsstephens

I found that coffee maker when I was in DC on business. My boss was super rich, sold his last company to American Express. His wife had this kitchen like you see on TV shows I feel in love with at a dinner party he had. She had this exact coffee maker.

I bought it a few months later. I think I paid $240. One of my co-workers also feel in love with it at the same dinner and later told me he got it for 20 bucks at a Salvation Army. In the box. Instructions. Appeared it had never been used.

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 02:13:21 PM PDT

•  Amazing what one can find in unusual places. (3+ / 0-)
                            RunawayRose, webranding, Larsstephens

Good find for your friend.  We often peruse discount stores like Marshall's for the same reason.  And I have worn ties and shirts from Goodwill to work.  Fine clothes can be found any place these days.

Never turn down a bargain is my motto.  Unless the sale does not include something you really need.  We have reached a time in life when need is the rule.  No need, no purchase for the most part.  But I really need a good cup of coffee sometimes and we have friends who share the feeling.

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 02:16:45 PM PDT

•  This Is Something I Did A Few Years Ago (3+ / 0-)
                            RunawayRose, possum, Larsstephens

and the coffee maker was one of those purchases. I'd look at my fiances and I just wasted money. Not huge sums. But $5 here or $20 here. Many times "impulse" buys (often DVDs).

Now I said I was a foodie and I love to cook, but much of the stuff in my kitchen wasn't that "nice." So I told myself to stop those impulse buys and spend say $100 to $200 each month on one top-of-the-line kitchen items, that if I took care of them they might last a lifetime to two.

I got some knives. Cutting board. Coffee maker. Wok. Some amazing steak knives. A complete Asian two person place setting (that took a few months to buy). A few other things. One of the best little "experiments" I've ever done.

by webranding on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 02:21:40 PM PDT

•  Same here in the kitchen. (4+ / 0-)

We save a while but what we have bought in recent years will be around to serve our offspring for many years to come.  Real value is to be found these days.  Sometimes costs more but that is an investment to be amortized over a lifetime, not to be thrown in the trash in a year or two.

Knives are another place I love.  We have for many years collected fine cutlery.  My beginnings were a little rough as I needed a good autopsy knife.  One cannot do the job well without risk of injury to one's self with good tools.  The lessons translated right into the kitchen and remain there today.

Our oldest knife is well over 10 now and still as fine as the first day.  Others are newer as we are the product of a pair of divorces and remarriage.  We don't need much in cutlery and are slow but sure getting fine pots and pans.  Good ones are in there but better come about one piece a year these days.  Thank goodness for gift giving holidays.

by possum on Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 02:30:02 PM PDT

•  I think there's money in odd beers (8+ / 0-)

I've seen a bunch of wacky beer-related project, such as beer with ancient yeast: Ancient Yeast Reborn in Modern Beer, but about the strangest was this Japanese space beer: Japanese Brewery Introduces "Space Beer".

Go figure.