View Diary: This Is A BIG F***ing Deal For The Deaf Community! (289 comments)

•  I'll be glad to hide rate you if you'd like (3+ / 0-)
    slinkerwink, mrkvica, vcmvo2

I'm a free speecher, but I'd ask others to do the same if I made a comment that was that dumb.

To start at the basics, they're called 'Rights' because you don't have to answer to anybody about how you want to use them.

•  you misunderstood my point (1+ / 0-)
      earicicle

i am happy to accommodate people who are hearing impaired.

my point is that i can't fathom where slinkerwink is coming from saying she would rather not have the ability to hear.

1. how do you ask for people to go the extra mile to help you because you can't hear or can't hear well and then turn down the ability to hear?
      1. how do you demand universal health care and then turn down health care that would give you the ability to hear?

it's not like it's easy or cheap to accommodate people with disabilities or to provide universal health care.  and hearing is one of the most amazing gifts of life.  i cannot understand how someone would turn down the ability to hear when for thousands of years people who couldn't hear have only been able to dream of being cured.

i guess i could understand that someone would be afraid of hearing after not having the ability or never having the ability.  but to say you would rather not have the ability to hear after all the blood and sweat done to find a cure all because you won't have the ability to turn down the volume?

honestly.  sounds like a starving person who refuses to eat food because they don't like the taste.

it seems unfair.  not just to everyone who goes the extra mile for people who are hearing impaired, but for everyone who is hearing impaired and can only dream of being able to hear.

in my opinion at least.

One thing you gotta give rich people credit for. They might have nearly all the money but they are really stingy about spending it, so, nobody benefits.

by bluefaction on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 04:35:39 PM PDT

•  I can't answer for slinkerwink, but... (8+ / 0-)
        ...here's my answer.

I can understand why you'd value hearing, because you've lived with it all your life and can't imagine not having it.  But there are senses that you don't have, that you also don't miss.

Some animals, for example, have senses that we don't have as humans -- for example, bees can identify polarized light and they use that sense as a navigational aid.  Do you feel it necessary to undergo surgery to receive this 'amazing gift' -- and then have to undergo specialized training in order to process the additional sensory information that your brain is unaccustomed to having to deal with?

Or have you adapted successfully to the senses you already have and don't feel a need to mess with them?

When you call hearing an "amazing gift" and make the assumption that everyone else should want to disrupt their lives to be more like you, that comes across as elitist.

Does Christine O'Donnell weigh as much as a duck?

by osterizer on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 04:49:45 PM PDT

•  But If It's A Sense "you also don't miss" (1+ / 0-)
          earicicle

then it seems very odd - and frankly hypocritical - to turn around and demand that others go out of their way to accomodate you.

I can understand either position separately. It's holding both simultaneously that seems downright strange.  And I think that is what bluefaction was trying to say.

•  it is what i'm trying to say (1+ / 0-)
            earicicle

i mentioned below that my mother in law lost her sight from diabetes and if you sat down to listen to her talk in tears about what she misses seeing it would break your heart.  it's hard for me to imagine anyone would turn down what i think most people would give almost anything to have.

by bluefaction on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 05:09:59 PM PDT

•  I believe you're confusing SW's personal choice (6+ / 0-)

about how to receive data, with her right to be able to participate in our society.  I can't condemn any of my relatives who turn off their hearing aid at 10 o'clock. And I haven't heard that we've set on a program to give all American's hearing remediation.

I don't lose my right to speech when I prefer to write a letter.

Meanwhile, I am nicely hearing-abled and I'd love to have transcripts be a regular part of videos.

•  What's odd about it? (8+ / 0-)

Say you grew up having adapted to deafness in the 1980's and 1990's -- with SDTV and closed-captioning.  Now that you're an adult, television standards are changing:  the HDTV specifications for closed-captioning are not well-implemented yet, and closed-captioning is completely absent from some Internet video codecs.

As a result, the tools that you have relied on all your life are being taken away.  I don't think it's "odd" or "hypocritical" to demand that existing accommodations simply be carried over from an old format to a new one.

I reject your characterization that for people to maintain the status quo is "going out of their way".

Does Christine O'Donnell weigh as much as a duck?

by osterizer on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 06:57:43 PM PDT

•  Oh of course (2+ / 0-)
            slinkerwink, conchita

it is probably hypocritical that people in wheelchairs want to be independent - they don't want to be pushed into a building but they sure as hell would like businesses to build a ramp so that they can get in.

Slink is not saying anything in general about all of the deaf, but about herself personally!

Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world. RFK

by vcmvo2 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 08:48:58 PM PDT

•  i don't mean to come across eletist (5+ / 0-)

i guess i can understand that someone wouldn't want to be able to hear if they have never been able to hear.  i've never met anyone who lost their hearing who didn't dream of getting it back though.  and i have known many many people who have lost their hearing.  or who have limited hearing since childhood and wish they could hear normal.

i would never force anyone to hear.  if they are an adult they are free to do what they want with their body and life.  a parent who refused their deaf kid the ability to hear would be a different matter for me though.

well, hey, i guess it's wonderful that soon someone will have the option of turning down being able to hear.  amazing times we live in.

by bluefaction on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 05:08:05 PM PDT

•  It Was A Reasonable Question (1+ / 0-)
      Sybil Liberty

• Economy (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site