View Diary: Holy crap! Rachel Maddow should be running the DNC (238 comments)

•  I'm glad she's found her footing in broadcasting (27+ / 0-)

She's better as a true Journalist. She's more effective from the outside. Rather than a party hack.

I say that as a proud and committed Dem

"Trying to hold back the revision of history is always a good thing." -- Peter Christopherson

by jethrock on Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:02:31 PM PDT

•  I tend to agree and disagree (12+ / 0-)

She's outside the Party, perhaps, but she still comes across as a partisan. I don't want to use the word "hack" but if we're looking to MSNBC for news we're out of luck. Her show these days is all "scary Republicans".

There really is news and some of it is unpleasant for the Administration. MSNBC makes no attempt to cover it once it gets into the pundit shows. Sure I watch it but I find myself, more and more, saying "c'mon, Rachel, why should we vote for the Democrats?" And "what about the way Europe is dealing with economic conditions?"

It's all too much "Angle's crazy and so is O'Donnell".

•  Let's be glad that MSNBC hired her (3+ / 0-)
      BleacherBum153, Matt Z, msdrown

Instead of Cenk Uygur at the time.

Think...It ain't illegal yet ! George Clinton

by kid funkadelic on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 02:43:13 AM PDT

•  I would prefer Cenk... (0+ / 0-)

Although who knows what the corporate shrink wrappers would do to his head.

Rachel is a real disappointment.

I enjoy her once in a while, when I want to laugh and not be bothered by the truth, ie, how both parties are seriously fucking up this nation.

There are a lot of devils in a lot of details, but truly not so down in the weeks that they are beyond the reach of her comprehension or her ability to explain to her audience. But she will be booted from her corporate newsperch, she will be back making crumb for a salary if she doesnt play dumb. Or maybe she really isnt all that curious or concerned. If not, all the better for her bosses.

But then, she is mostly there to entertain and to promote Democrats.

Hip hip hooray!

Should a "progressive" Dem blog dwell in the safe zones of a tame party, or should it drive a tame party to break out?

by NYCee on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 07:59:06 AM PDT

•  Ignorant much? (0+ / 0-)

Cenk is actually a fantastic broadcaster and one of the smartest people you'll ever meet. Just because he wont feed you your personal Koolaid doesnt mean he's not a great democrat and a fantastic  broadcaster.

And im sure you'll add MAddow to your enemies list eventually. You whackjobs have already added pretty much every important democratic blogger and activist to your enemies list for questioning the emperors new clothes.

And Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

by cdreid on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 08:59:46 AM PDT

•  Umm, hasn't Cenk substituted for her or Ed a few (0+ / 0-)

times already?    Why does it tweak so many people's noses around here when progressives discuss the need for, you know, more progress?

Having a policy does not mean receiving care. -- Tzimisce

by Miggles on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 10:51:04 AM PDT

•  Her Shtick Needs Adjustment (0+ / 0-)

It's going to get tiring if it isn't already and it would be a shame.  I love her, but I'd hate to see her doing the same thing 5 years from now.  But I'm afraid I don't have any idea what she could transition into, hell, I'm in my own career limbo right now and can't even seem to help myself.

•  I already find it tiring. (0+ / 0-)

If I want a Dem infomercial... well, I'll tune into Rachel! Or Ed. Or Keith.

But I dont want one. So I dont... tune in. Or hardly ever, and if so, hardly for more than a segment ...

Sometimes I just fall back into my couch, after a demanding day at work, and say, Take it away Rachel... tell me something I dont have to think about. Give me some fluff. Give me news lite.

It is really quite fitting that this diary's title and some commenters are so jazzed to have Maddow as DNC chair. I couldnt agree more. She is constantly selling the Dems and thwacking the GOP. I cant help but see her as a partisan hack, with a few gentle chiding moments toward Dems thrown in, sometimes, to make her look like she isnt what she is - a cheerleader, five nights a week, for the Dem party.

The real issues that need real examination re this also-corporate-embedded-establishment-party - the Democrats - well, she scarcely touches them. Why bother, when she can fill up her airwaves in ways that her bosses approve of and keep her securely in her well-feathered roo$t - lambasting and lampooning that treasure trove of whacky GOPsters!

by NYCee on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 09:35:11 AM PDT