View Diary: Right-wing propoganda on Daily Kos (99 comments)

•  I recommend that DKos (2+ / 0-)
    remove all advertisements.. period

Markos has made enough money on TV over the years to keep the site running for the next 20 years.

•  Really, Hardball pays that well? (3+ / 0-)
      Shadan7, Chinton, drewfromct

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 12:47:32 PM PDT

•  Who knew? (0+ / 0-)

You'd think Christine O'Donnell would have been able to unransom her diploma a lot sooner, what with all those appearances on Bill Maher!

"[The GOP wanting to debate Obama is like saying] 'Let's see how tough Aquaman is when we get him in the water.' " --Seth Meyers

by homogenius on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 05:00:16 PM PDT

•  Not really (5+ / 0-)

I doubt he gets a check for anything more than $800 for a talking head appearance.

Markos just isn't Miley Cyrus.

Three things cannot be long hidden - the sun, the moon, and the truth. -Zen Saying

by thenekkidtruth on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 12:59:58 PM PDT

•  That's a joke. Right? (8+ / 0-)

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 01:57:32 PM PDT

•  I take it you have access to his tax returns. (4+ / 0-)

Are you his accountant?

Even my bot is tired of this shit.

by Bob Johnson on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 02:50:27 PM PDT

•  I, too, think Kos should stop doing polls, fire.. (9+ / 0-)

all FP writers, stop working on DK4, and host the site on... I dunno, myspace?

Either that, or since he apparently makes so much money being on teevee for three minutes at a time (thanks for that well-researched tidbit, uid 256341!), Markos should just pay for all that stuff out of pocket. I'm sure his wife can get a job or three, right?

Come to think of it, I'm so tired of being charged every time I order a pizza... I really love everything else about our local joint, but, I mean, we get it, Mr Pizzaria Owner! You're a capitalist! You can stop charging me for the pizza, though, don't you think? It seems you've probably made enough at this point to just turn the place into a charity. And same for replacing the chain on my bike. I get it bike shop guys! You like my money! Now, I may be a relatively new customer, but haven't you been at this long enough that you can just give me everything I want for free?

•  wel, unless Markos is using (0+ / 0-)

paid pundits on this site, the site is self sustaining.. The software is already written and functional and does not require ads to remain online.

Now if Kos is using a remote host, at most domain hosting and web space (unlimited) shouldn't cost more than $24 a year (that is what I pay for unlimited web space and private domain name and unlimited bandwidth)

If Kos has his own server at home, he can host DKOS out of his bedroom and since the site is hardly ever down, the software is stable.. as such he can run a Win 2K8 server and host DKos himself for the price of his internet connection and $8 a year for domain name.

Either way.. DKos doesn't cost much to run or maintain per year.

People making Diaries are all unpaid freelancers, DKos doesn't share the proceeds with anyone posting a Diary that keeps his site alive, thus he is milking his community for his own financial gain through an ad based / subscription based website.

Since the cost to maintain a site is minimal (hosting, domain name, bandwidth), I think Kos is in a financial situation that he can afford to remove the advertisements.

Now converting to a donation based service that is ad free, I'm all for that and it is much less of a hassle for everyone using the site, plus it would clean up the current interface tremendously.

See Markos isn't paying people to post diaries here.. people do it for free to get the message out.. however Markos is capitalizing on free diaries provided by his community by taking in revenue from advertisements and subscriptions, however he neglects to share that income with those posting the diaries that keep his site alive.

In the beginning, the ad based system may have been necessary.. however after the first year or 2 (and this is only one of my user names, for I have many, this is my newest), the ad based system is no longer needed and neither are subscriptions.. the system is self supporting and all that needs to be maintained is the yearly fees that cost no more than $24 a year (if you actually look for a good hosting service).

Sorry.. but if someone is supporting a site with their time, making comments, reading diaries and learning from others who are posting their Diaries using their talent and words for free, bringing in commenters and general readers for the benefit of keeping DKos site thriving.. Markos should make everyone posting Diaries (not comments) partners and share the wealth (afterall one of the progressive ideas is to spread the wealth right?)

If Markos is unwilling to do such, then the ad based / subscription based system should be ended and turned into a donation / ad free based system to accomodate the people who come here and keep his site alive.

It is only fair.

•  Go Away. (1+ / 0-)
          sidnora

No, seriously, Go Away. If you dislike the way things are done here, go elsewhere. If you want a collectivist blog accepting new users, go find one. Let me know what you find.

Something tells me that when you hit the half-million hits-per-day mark, the whole "unlimited bandwidth" thing gets a lil more complex, in terms of billing. (Does that $24/year pay for your site's lawyer, too?)

I count around twenty-five folks on the masthead, besides Markos, and from what I understand, they're all getting a paycheck, plus the eight-member paid staff.

Plus there's the polling with two (yes two) national firms - one for electoral horserace and one for the weekly (yes, weekly) State of the Nation national poll.

And they're working on completely overhauling the entire website as we speak, including vastly expanded and improved capabilities for all members of the community.

And I almost missed the Electoral Scoreboard, which seems to get a reengineering each election cycle.

But really, that's all besides the most basic point of them all. Which is this: Fuuuuuuck You! Yes, you!

Hey, here's an idea! Learn something about the place before you start to judge it. Crazy, I know. Or hey, better yet, start your own community website! All you need to do is find yourself 270,000 users, two national polling firms, a diverse array of top-tier political and policy writers, and half a million hits a day. Easy, right?

Offer suggestions on sprucing the place up. Make a few broad generalizations about the Daily Kos community. Whatever. But where the fuck do you think you get off walking into someone else's successful business and announcing it's time they changed their entire financial model?

You have a habit of doing that when you eat out at a restaurant or go shopping for new shoes? Just summon the owner to your table and ask if he's considered switching to a donation model. You get that he wants to keep paying his staff and the food is really just top tier, but maybe he wants to think about something a little less onerous on his customers.

Hey, I'm a total lefty commie pinko. Sign me up for economic democracy or the solid state economy any day of the week. I'm there. Socialize everything we need to survive, awesome. That's not what this is. This is you being too big a douche to realize where you are.

•  You did catch this: (1+ / 0-)
            2020adam

didn't you? We seem to be dealing with a compulsive troll here, someone with so many sockpuppets no one can keep up with them. Not even their creator?

While I understand the exasperation that drove you to write this comment, I'd suggest that Mr. 256341 (and I do think it's a Mr.) follow his own suggestion for a donation-based model and donate $100 for a lifetime, ad-free subscription. Problem solved.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 02:59:10 PM PDT

•  Love it. Totally missed that. (1+ / 0-)
              sidnora

I think I got to "In the beginning...", and just automatically jumped to the next paragraph, knowing that this one could only contain a mountain of horseshit, given the high uid.

Clearly my comment was more for me than him. If he's enough of a dunce that he's been here since "the beginning" and wasn't aware that there's a front page full of paid writers, and doesn't understand that "subscription" means "donation", nothing I say is going to wake him up to objective reality. But man is it fun to vent like that. I really need to do that more often.

•  I actually loved your rant. (1+ / 0-)
                2020adam

And there's no way this person was here in the beginning. I've only been here since mid-2004 (post-Scoop), and Markos didn't start taking ads until after that.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

by sidnora on Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 07:06:39 PM PDT

•  DELETE MY FUCKING ADS, KOS!!! (2+ / 0-)
      sidnora, Misterpuff

Well, you know, somebody had to say it!  LOL

by homogenius on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 04:59:22 PM PDT