View Diary: (WI-Sen) I hate Wisconsin, but I love Russ Feingold! (129 comments)

•  Hating a State (7+ / 0-)

does not make people in that state receptive to your political messaging. Just noting that I think, if anything, your diary will only serve to lower morale among Wis Dems or energize the opposition.

I'd recommend either a major re-write or delete.

Disclaimer: I lived for 10 years in Madison but I live in Canada now.

"There is no theorem that says (all) the interesting things in the world are conserved, only the total of everything." Richard Feynman

by yuriwho on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 10:45:24 PM PDT

•  Think about your political messaging (1+ / 0-)
        verdeo

'I hate Wisconsin', 'I hate Green Bay'. Who is the favorite sports team in WI: Green Bay Packers. The sound byte reading of your diary is negative about WI and their favorite sports team. Who votes in this election? All of Wisconsins residents + overseas ballots. Most of these people have fond memories of their HOME (idealized though it may be). You insult their HOME and they are likely to respond negatively to the message. Sure there are bound be others who grew up in North East WI and feel the same way but not the majority.

Btw, you might have well as just replied /nt since their was no substance to your reply.

by yuriwho on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 11:04:47 PM PDT

•  Yes, I know some good liberal, cheese eating (4+ / 0-)
        homogenius, yuriwho, alba, verdeo

people from Green Bay, and yet I don't know about living there.  But Sheesh, Shiznit, if Howard Dean's strategy doesn't go against your thoughts, then look at some real "down home, southern states!  I love your writing and diaries, but this is just so over the top and stoopid, it's gotta be snark, no?  me thinks something is amiss.

•  I think this is (3+ / 0-)
        homogenius, yuriwho, Switched On

the most juvenile thing you've ever written, Shiznit.

I've lived in WI for 40 years and prefer it over numerous other states that I have lived in, including my home state, Michigan. Obviously you have a small scope of friends or interests, as I have found a very diverse culture within this lovely state.

If you measure everything by the size of your penis,
        how much beer your friends drink, or how big their trucks are....perhaps you should have searched out the finer cultures that existed all around you.

Dropping out is not an option!

by verdeo on Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 01:33:39 AM PDT

•  The folks in DePere probably think Madison (10+ / 0-)

is 'closer' to Canada than most other parts of Wisconsin. Although they'll quickly admit Canada has great hunting and fishing, and hockey of course, and their wives may like shopping in the few big cities. Canada often being a refuge of sorts for disillusioned military folks is a sore spot with some.

Milwaukee has a downtown park memorializing its once famous 100% Grade A Socialist mayor, Frank Zeidler, and it's where a farmer's market is held in good weather. All sorts of good stuff to be found there, especially the veggies from the Hmong farmers.  Sure wonder if we'll ever see another mayor like Mr. Zeidler or any candidate succeeding on a socialist platform.  Those were the days when there was a real Labor Movement and many people actively pursuing unionization...and they were pretty successful.  But of course, since the late 1970's it's been all about 'give-backs' and moving factories that once had talented and experienced union labor out of state (to the South or Mexico) or to another continent entirely, and there's a lot of folks preaching to give your love to Republicans if you hope to remain employed...which never seems to pan out anyway.

Anyway, Madison is indeed one of the most liveable cities in the state, ranking high nationally, with many natural and cultural benefits, and generally is a vivid blue area on the political map, although the suburbs are purplish to red.  There are many pockets of blue in Wisconsin, but indeed, they are found in the more metropolitan areas and not so much in the suburban, exurban and rural areas.

I for one don't think the D.C. types ever really get their messages out in a resonating way which Wisconsin's diverse people can apprehend.  Cynicism runs deep from years of neglect, too many federal dollars go South, a net export from Wisconsin. And then the insane dairy 'Milk' laws specifying that Eau Claire, Wisconsin must be the place where milk prices shall be the lowest and prices can increase in rings from that center.  Not an eager market here for California milk.  You'd think if your dairies produced the best milk and can send it pretty much anywhere in the state, it should be able to go to market without Congress specifying price margins.  And, no, you won't ever take their guns. That's just not a realistic thing to target in this state with gun laws. Yet, we're still not a concealed carry state due to our 'liberal' governor Doyle.

The hunting doesn't bother me so much as the folks insisting on getting drunk driving bar to bar in cars or, worse, on snowmobiles, which are usually driven too fast, at nearly 'ballistic' speeds--where any accident would be disabling if not deadly.  It is sort of ironic that a drunk may drive much more slowly than others on the road, trying to keep the car under control and make it home, but if he manages to pull himself onto a snowmobile with the key, he sees no problem gunning it up to 50 mph, 60 mph and even faster.

Yep, I'd have to admit Wisconsin is full of diverse and partisan groups that often are convinced other groups are total idiots.  If you can make an art form out of the put downs, you can get grudging respect, even if you are a blazing blue commie pinko liberal terrorist who eats babies off pages torn from the Bible, with tofu, while quaffing lattes, and running a clandestine Death Panel. Although, that death panel panic seems to have subsided.  But Ron Johnson is busy trying to convince seniors they're getting less with health care reform instead of having the 'donut hole' in Medicare Part D plugged and other enhanced benefits.  It seems the Republican strategy is to take the best things Democratic folks did manage to pass, upstream against a Republican obstructionist blockage, and claim it is the evil work the most horrifying boogie monster ever.

Nobody here seems to understand they're working class any more, living pay check to pay check, wondering week to week if their job will continue.  Everyone is either poor, insecure middle class--in values, or actual middle class--well as it's come to mean in the last few decades--both spouses have jobs to pay off heavy debt for mortgage, cars, snowmobiles, fishing and hunting gear, barrels of liquor and brats, and other essentials of the Wisconsin 'good life'.  Yeah they grumble about having to pay for state fishing stickers and hunting permits and boat licenses, but those are proudly displayed so you can see who the 'real frontier ready' folk are.  They do pay via many local clubs (okay, bar associated clubs) for groomed and well marked snow mobile trails. Lots of Wisconsin folks are eager helpers. Just don't take on airs, be pretentious or judgmental, and if you are nice to them as neighbors, you'll discover a number are likely to offer to help you with a big project requiring skilled labor and special tools. Cheese curds, beer, beer nuts, and pizza may need to freely flow during such helpful times, but they'll work harder than you might expect.  Might want to watch for those who think certain shortcuts are perfectly fine and any silly housing inspector won't even notice it.

I suppose at our bratty wurst, a working majority of Wisconsinites can be rather like unnaturally large versions of the Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz. Or the Dwarves from The Lord of the Rings (in Wisconsin, that'd be probably end up being Lard of the Onion Rings).  It's a challenging job to punch a few holes in their political blinders...it's so much fun it should probably be licensed.  Might tend to argue about the idea of no-bag limits on Republicans.

When life gives you wingnuts, make wingnut butter!

by antirove on Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 11:46:56 PM PDT

•  You've really summed up much of the culture (1+ / 0-)
        hobbularmodule

there. But I find that it's not just "airs" that G.B. folk don't want you to put on: it's any sort of logical education, or change in the status quo, whatsoever.

Wisconsinites are not exactly big on change, they fear the "other", and their minds snap right the fuck shut as a result. It's infuriating to me, which is why I left to begin with.

In any case, good on your for giving a concise run-down on your experiences in the state. You're not wrong - not by a long shot.

•  And that's why I hide in Madison. (3+ / 0-)

I grew up in central Wisconsin and have spent the last five years in Madison getting more and more educated and less and less tied to any other part of the state. When I do occasionally go back to my parents' house for holidays, it's brief and I very rarely venture outside of their walls.

When I do, I change my accent and shrink my vocabulary. Madison accents aren't well-received outside of Dane County.

•  Madison caused a family feud which (3+ / 0-)

lasted until my aunt's death. But then, that was back in the 60's.  I was shocked to hear that many students at UW weren't even aware that there was an election in November.  Dammit, they should be out rioting in the streets over the prospect of having Ron Johnson as a senator.

"And God separated the light from the dark, and did two loads of laundry"

by Fiddlegirl on Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 04:13:13 AM PDT

•  Funny thing is, that sounds just like the Canada (1+ / 0-)
        antirove

I know and love as well ;-)

by yuriwho on Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 01:35:47 AM PDT