View Diary: RKBA: Open Thread and Speeding (123 comments)

•  Drive the speed limit if possible (14+ / 0-)

Sometimes you need to go a little faster not to get run over but. .. saves gas, obeying the law.

I'm out of here this AM for a week to go camping up high and if luck is with me go shoot something.

"slip now and you'll fall the rest of your life" Derek Hersey 1957-1993

by ban nock on Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 10:17:46 AM PDT

•  I usually do (8+ / 0-)

On any surface street -- from a residential neighborhood to a four-lane US Route -- I drive at the speed limit or slower. (Especially in the residential neighborhoods: I believe that 25 mph is the absolute highest speed one should travel in front of people's houses, sidewalks and driveways).

On the Interstate, however, things are different. Almost every mile of Interstate was designed for 1950's-era behemoths shod with bias-ply tires at 80 miles per hour. There are no stop signs, traffic lights, or adjacent parking lots with driveway exits onto the highway. Few cars are going as slow as the speed limit. In that situation, I travel at speeds I consider "safe for existing conditions." Weather, traffic, road conditions, visibility, sun angle, and other factors influence this ever-changing calculation.

I'm not saying that automatically makes it OK to speed, and every driver has limits. My limit is simple: I plan to travel at a safe speed for which a cop won't bother stopping me. In a 65-mph zone, I rarely exceed 76... unless I'm on a steep downhill stretch, not using cruise control, not paying close enough attention to my slightly elevated speed, and (apparently) about to pass a well-hidden trooper who knows all about the effects of gravity on descending vehicles.

No complaints. I was speeding. He cut me a significant break on the penalty. I mailed the check Monday.

"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed." -1995 Michael Moore documentary Canadian Bacon

by Tom Seaview on Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 06:58:57 PM PDT

•  Tom, why did you choose to notify the officer? (3+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas, theatre goon, Tom Seaview

PA has no notification requirement.  I would not choose to notify a LEO that I was carrying unless I thought he was going to discover it for some reason (i.e: he asked me to step out of the car), then I would tell him so there aren't any surprises.  I would of course tell him if there was a legal requirement to do so (I'm currently in NOLA and they have such a requirement down here) but I can't think of any compelling reason to tell him absent that requirement.

Not all LEOs are in favor of armed civilians.  You got lucky with this one but if you had come across an anti he could really have made your life a living nightmare.

For what it's worth I DO have to notify when I'm in my home state even though NYS has no notification law.  Our County Judge has asked all of the people carrying under his signature to notify during LEO encounters.  For better or worse he can impose whatever requirements he wants under NYS law.  So I notify during encounters in NYS.  Outside of NYS in a state without that requirement?  No way.  Not much to gain and everything to lose if you run across the anti-RKBA LEO who is having a bad day.

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box. Use in that order.

by Crookshanks on Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 12:16:20 AM PDT

•  Curry favour. (5+ / 0-)

Even though I'm required to notify in Michigan, I would still do so because it's been my experience that carrying a firearm legally is a good sign. I've received more respect from local police after they find out I'm carrying strangely enough. It could be tied to the fact that I've had a background check and am in county records. It could be the fact that I notified them immediately to put them at ease. It could be the fact that ALL local LEOs (and ex LEOs) I've talked to support CCW and give me a 'point' in their tally of "Is this guy a douchebag or not?" on the not side.

I know it saved me from one ticket. 72 in a 55. The fact that we shared two common interests (firearms and guns) and that I carried the exact same ammo helped.

(RKBA) Right to Keep and Bear Arms: interested in a DKos RKBA group? Email in profile. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 03:57:42 AM PDT

•  self-protection (4+ / 0-)

I have several PC repair customers who are active-duty or retired police officers in DE and PA. Every single one of them advises that concealed carriers announce themselves, even though neither state requires us to do so.

Think about this: if the cop had been an anti, and he had suddenly realized that the pouch on my belt was a popular concealment holster sold nationwide on the Internet, how might he have reacted to that situation?
          As one Wilmington cop explained it, "If your gun is a surprise to me, I might accidentally blow your fucking head off."

There is also one other benefit: when I handed him my month-old Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, it was evidence that I had recently undergone -- and passed -- a much more strict background check than any he could obtain in his car on the side of the PA Turnpike.

by Tom Seaview on Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 05:25:53 AM PDT

•  well, like I said, I would tell them if I thought (2+ / 0-)
            theatre goon, Tom Seaview

they were going to discover it for some reason.  But that isn't going to happen with my IWB holster behind my right hip unless I'm asked to step out of the car.  If that ever happens (and it hasn't in the 12+ times I've been pulled over.... yes I have a lead foot) then I'll tell them.

by Crookshanks on Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 06:57:33 AM PDT

•  the other point that I'd make is that at least (3+ / 0-)
            rockhound, theatre goon, Tom Seaview

you had a PA LTCF.  If you were carrying under another state's permit that's all the more reason NOT to notify them.  Not all LEOs are aware of reciprocity agreements.  I know someone that got arrested by the Philly PD when they found his gun and told him that his Utah permit was not valid in PA.  The DA dropped the charges but that's small comfort after you get cuffed, fingerprinted and cavity searched....

by Crookshanks on Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 07:00:29 AM PDT