View Diary: Starting out (232 comments)

•  Thanks for that... (0+ / 0-)

I read this totally differently...

1. Less than 1/2 of people who started in the lowest quintile stay in the lowest quintile and 9% end up in the highest quintile...Bravo to them!!!   So the fact that over 1/2 moved out of the lowest quintile means that each generation is moving in the right direction.
    1. Only 55% that start out in the highest quintile stay there...from your original comment I would have thought it would have been 95%...so it is far from automatic

Obama - Change I still believe in

by dvogel001 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 12:37:21 PM PDT

•  To me most = majority (1+ / 0-)
      CParis

Look, I have every reason to be on your side here.  When I was born, my family lived in a trailer park.  I worked hard, got my Ph.D, and now run my own lab as an Assistant Professor at a good University.  At age 35, my income is just south of 6 figures.  But I had lots of help.  My parents required hard work in school.  Many kids' parents do not.  I had good mentors in school and graduate school.  Most people do not have those advantages.

My point is that luck of circumstances (birth and otherwise) plays a major role in income mobility.  And yes, the biggest predictor of someone's wealth is the wealth of their parents.  If we were truly a meritocracy, the upper quintile would produce 20% highest and 20% lowest income kids, and so would the poorest quintile.  That's just not the case.

....no longer in SF.... -9.00, -7.38

by TFinSF on Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 12:45:03 PM PDT

•  Correction... (0+ / 0-)

should be one of the biggest predictors

....no longer in SF.... -9.00, -7.38

by TFinSF on Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 12:46:12 PM PDT

•  Personal responsibility... (0+ / 0-)

is not a Republican only value...anyone in this country can move out of their current situation, they may need to join the military to do it...that is true...or mve to GA...and get a "B" average...

Obama - Change I still believe in

by dvogel001 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 12:58:54 PM PDT

•  I never argued against (0+ / 0-)

personal responsibility, so I don't see the point of that non-sequitur.  The opportunities of people from different income brackets are unequal.  You asked for evidence and I provided it.  If you want to argue against points I never made (personal responsibility), then it's obvious you don't need me here to continue this conversation.

....no longer in SF.... -9.00, -7.38

by TFinSF on Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 02:10:00 PM PDT

•  And I see the data... (0+ / 0-)

as providing a lot of upward mobility for people of all socioeconomic statuses...you just see the inequeties.../peace

Obama - Change I still believe in