View Diary: Polling and Political Wrap, 10/18/10 (88 comments)

•  Man if Florida was really like that... (7+ / 0-)

Marco Rubio (R) 39%, Charlie Crist (I) 31%, Kendrick Meek (D) 22%

And Meek didn't get out of the way, I'd be pissed.  Because if Meek got out and half his support didn't vote and the other half went for Crist, Crist would win.

It's not too late to have a unity rally with Big Dog, Obama, Crist, Sink and Meek...

Imagine Pelosi having to have the gavel over to Boehner, and the shit eating grin he'll have as the GOP caucus erupts into raucous applause.

by Jonze on Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 07:52:25 PM PDT

•  At this point ... (7+ / 0-)

... I would be happy if Crist and Meek got together in a closed room, flipped a coin, and decided to fully back whoever won the coin toss.

•  That's a strategy I thought about in Alaska... (5+ / 0-)

as well. However I don't think it would work as well in Florida because Crist voters could go to Rubio over Meek.  Meek has to drop or nothing.

In Alaska I think Miller has topped out at 35% and Murkowski could control her voters enough to put McAdams over Miller heads up.

by Jonze on Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 07:57:00 PM PDT

•  I don't see either Lisa or McAdams doing that now (2+ / 0-)
          Kimball Cross, TofG

at least pending the next round of polling.  It's nearly certain that Miller's slide will continue, to the benefit of both the other two.  McAdams will believe (with some merit) that he has the momentum, so why would he enter into a cointoss when he can win the whole thing?  But the unpredictability of a 3-way dynamic gives Lisa plenty of room to think she'll win too, so I don't see her willingly stepping away from her senate seat.  Only if her own polling slipped badly away -- say Miller rebounds to 42, and McAdams gets to 39 and is stuck there, AND there's somehow solid data to show that if Lisa drops more of her people go to McAdams than Miller.

I just don't see that.  But this will be interesting to watch to the end.

•  If I'm Kendrik Meek, I'm not sure I want to be (0+ / 0-)

in a closed room with Charlie Crist.

Better than being locked in there with Marco Rubio or Rick Scott, though.

Umm, that's PRESIDENT Obama and SENATOR Franken, mr. o'reilly.

by filby on Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 08:22:41 PM PDT

•  Charlie Crist screwed up (3+ / 0-)
          Kimball Cross, TofG, keetz4

and in the process screwed Florida.  He should have switched to Dem over a year ago and Meeks wouldn't have won the primary and it would be the new Dem Senator from Florida due to all the anti-Rubio voters.

•  A year ago (2+ / 0-)
            Kimball Cross, filby

Crist was a shoo in for the Republican nomination, why on earth would he have switched?

And, who's to say that he would have been able to win the primary as a Democrat, if we have seen anything over the past year, it is that primary voters want the representive of their party to, you know, belong to it.

If there is anything I have learned from Scooby Doo, it is that the only thing to fear is crooked real estate developers.

by JakeC on Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 08:32:20 PM PDT

•  Love the idea of the unity rally ... (3+ / 0-)
      Bonsai66, TofG, Jonze

... but I don't think that will ever happen.  Still, it's nice to dream.

•  Right there with you, Jonze. (1+ / 0-)
      Jonze

Nothing against Meeks, but I'm a pragmatist at heart.

"I think I ate your chocolate squirrel." - Brick Tamland

by Bonsai66 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 07:58:01 PM PDT

•  Realistically it's too late. (2+ / 0-)
        Bonsai66, TofG

Early voting in Florida already open.

by Jonze on Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 07:58:45 PM PDT

•  I know... (1+ / 0-)
          TofG

but we get the GOV as a consolation prize, and it's still a net zero gain for the Reps, since the seat is already in Republican hands.

"I think I ate your chocolate squirrel." - Brick Tamland