View Diary: RKBA:The illogic of safe gun ownership. (308 comments)

•  No, I did not compare gun owners to Nazis (3+ / 0-)
    buddabelly, oldpunk, KVoimakas

As I said, I was not comparing "bubbas" with gun owners. I was defining a subset of people who live here who I would not like to see with guns in the frigging grocery store. I was trying to find a term that would define that subset of people without upsetting kestrell9000. Read my post above: I know lots of responsible gun owners (my husband included) and they are not bubbas or Nazis or wingnuts. But there is a population which does scare me.

And yes, I fear someone who would go around with my boss is a frigging Austrian painter on his truck. For one thing, that identifies him for the most part only to other like minded people. Since seeing that sticker, I have asked quite a few people about it and essentially no one knew what it referred to. Yes, I'll say it again: I am afraid of people with Nazi (especially obscure Nazi) bumper stickers on their cars. But he is not like the majority of gun owners.

•  So you fear people because (5+ / 0-)

of their opinions?  Admittedly people do hold some disturbing positions but to fear them seems a bit extreme.

Don't believe what the politicians do, don't believe what they say, all they want to do is fuck you and get fat on their pay.

by oldpunk on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 08:28:41 AM PDT

•  Yes, I fear some people because of some (2+ / 0-)
        oldpunk, KVoimakas

opinions. And someone who says he follows Hitler, I fear.

•  Uhm. Yeah. I fear some people because of their (7+ / 0-)

opinions. For example, the right wings "violence is ok if we don't win" stance.

(RKBA) Right to Keep and Bear Arms: interested in a DKos RKBA group? Email in profile. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 08:45:56 AM PDT

•  I probably missed the point. (3+ / 0-)
          gerrilea, rockhound, theatre goon

I am not overly concerned with opinion regardless of how extreme it is because the elements of our society (both right and left) that hold such repugnant views are, in my opinion, far from being pervasive.  It is actions I concern myself with and our law enforcement agencies seem to do a pretty good job of keeping an eye on the fringe groups that would do harm.

by oldpunk on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 08:54:39 AM PDT

•  I dunno, Oldpunk. (5+ / 0-)

Not being gay, I don't have 'fear' of the guy in the pickup with the "God gave us Guns to deal with the Gays" bumper sticker... But I do have serious concern.

If I were gay, damn straight I'd have some fear. Because some folks are so close to the edge of wild crazy actions that you don't know what might set them off, especially if they are having a bad day and come face to face with what they consider their arch nemesis.

Think about that guy Von Brunn who shot up the holocaust museum. He could easily have had an 'austrian painter' sticker on his car, and he snapped like a dry twig.

It's not wrong to have a healthy cautious fear of people that hold an opinion that favors discriminatory violence or ethnic cleansing. It's not wrong for bosniaks to have a fear of serbians who espouse the ideals of genocide. It's not wrong for black africans to have fear of the sudanese who show compatiblity with the practice of ethnic cleansing.

And I do believe it's not wrong for liberals and democrats to have a healthy concern, and depending on their location even a healthy fear, about the conservative and republican rhetoric about killing their opposition. I've heard enough of the "It will only be okay when there are no more democrats/liberals" statements to put me on my guard.

It Takes A Village To Keep The Peace...(RKBA).......(-7.12, -5.54)

by JayFromPA on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 02:57:49 PM PDT

•  Fear is a strong word for me (2+ / 0-)
          KVoimakas, JayFromPA

and in my mind it connotes being frozen, unable to think or act, kinda like a deer in the head lights.  Additionally fear is an emotion and needs to be controlled like any other.  If a person is living in fear then they really aren't living because the object of their fear dictates how they live their lives. They must do something to either eliminate their fears or at the very least reduce those fears to where they are healthy concerns. That is one of the reasons I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, a gun is a great equalizer for the weaker or oppressed. Of course this is easy for me to say seeing how I don't belong to a group that receives threats of violence.

But just living in America enables me not to be fearful.  Our political system moves slowly making widespread violence amongst ourselves unlikely. There will always be time for people to slow down, to stop and think and become accustom to the change before them, which is what we are experiencing now. Will there be short lived outbursts?  Probably.  Will people in mobs loose their minds and do hurtful and hateful things? They always have. Are these things that people should be fearful of?  I don't think so.

I simply foresee the threats of fringe groups coming to fruition.  Should we be wary?  Absolutely, I just don't think we need to be afraid because that's what they are.

by oldpunk on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 08:00:19 PM PDT

•  If fear is being frozen then what is terror? (3+ / 0-)
            buddabelly, oldpunk, KVoimakas

I mean, I've never heard of fear being associated with being frozen in terror before. Not knocking your own personal associations, I'm just saying that to me, your scale seems to go from zero="No Fear" to 10=Fear="Absolute Mental Incapacitation" with no steps in between, and not allowing for "Terror" on the scale at all as there's no dialing the volume up to 11. I mean, I thought that terror was usually placed higher up the scale than fear, and phobia even higher than terror I suppose.

I personally have a fear of heights, but that doesn't stop me from climbing up to do the holiday lights. I also have a terror of deep water, because I'm physically a hindered swimmer and do not float. At all. I actually sink more than 10 feet per minute even with full lungs. Without a flotation device I will drown maybe as long 10 minutes after entering the water, maybe shorter depending on how quickly I tire. And I feel the rational parts of my head at the edge of turning off the few times I do choose to cool off while holding on to the edge of a pool, because I can drown in the time it takes to cook a microwave meal, so I damn well hold on tight. That's a bit stronger than what most folks call fear.

Maybe this is why some people can "fear" folks because of their opinions, because they aren't talking about terrified mental incapacitation like you would be.

It Takes A Village To Keep The Peace...(RKBA).......(-7.12, -5.54)

by JayFromPA on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 08:35:36 PM PDT

• Recommended (146)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site