View Diary: LA TIMES: "Is Dennis Kucinich an Endangered Species?" (454 comments)

•  We're going to lose seats (6+ / 0-)

because we fail at campaigning on our strengths. There was plenty of good in that bill too, and no one campaigned on the good parts.

We lose the message war every day.

•  If we're going to lose seats (3+ / 0-)
      wishingwell, Larsstephens, Vtdblue

we'll lose them because we were outspent and outgunned by mass corporate propaganda, coupled with an impatient electorate and the most fucking defeatist attitude I've ever seen.

Which means the propaganda is WORKING.

If Health Insurance Reform can wait until 2015, then so can any changes to Social Security.

by o the umanity on Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 09:39:11 PM PDT

•  Well, the propaganda too (3+ / 0-)
        Debbie in ME, ban nock, Vtdblue

But I'm out there busting my hump at the same time as I'm saying that Democrats didn't campaign on their strengths. So don't take my criticism as being lazy about my GOTV. We talked to 340 people in person just in the past two days in my little town (for perspective, probably 4500 people will vote in this election here) and called many more.

I can be angry about the lack of strategy and still act to defend my candidates, plus we're trying to beat a Republican incumbent here for State House and State Senate.

•  I'm sure you would agree, my friend, that it is (2+ / 0-)
        Dumbo, blueoasis

BOTH the evil that we are up against as well as the tactical blunders -- including the failure to capitalize on what strengths we do have. We're up against some of the most powerful, corrosive forces this country has ever seen, but it's not defeatism, per se, to admit that the Dems have done a piss-poor job of maximizing their defensive and offensive capabilities, no?

[Conservatives are] engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; ...the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. JK Galbrai

by Vtdblue on Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 09:53:38 PM PDT

•  I think the evil (0+ / 0-)

can be found IN the tactical blunders.

An exceptionally large part of the powerful, corrosive force you speak of is called "corporate information services".

That's where the bullshit flies 24/7--even if and when you have a good message, it's never conveyed properly. If what you're messaging doesn't benefit the owners of said information services, you can forget about "positive spin" for you.

by o the umanity on Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 10:42:41 PM PDT

•  We have the Blue Dogs to thank in large measure (2+ / 0-)
            blueoasis, Vtdblue

for helping to obfuscate and dilute the basic tenants of the original message.

The extent to which the Democratic party felt that it had to appease corporate interests, as spearheaded by Terry McAuliffe so many years ago has given cover to the corporate interests within our own party and which
            makes adherence to social ideals equivalent to pole-vaulting.

•  actually I know plenty of blue dogs (0+ / 0-)

that without fanfare just voted, and risked their seats to do the right thing. On the other hand we have whiney DK write this diary after holding up HCR for a few days and bad mouthing it.

I hope he keeps his seat, I also hope he learns to shut the fuck up.,

"slip now and you'll fall the rest of your life" Derek Hersey 1957-1993

by ban nock on Mon Nov 01, 2010 at 05:41:59 AM PDT

•  A stopped clock is correct twice daily. n/t (0+ / 0-)
                •  Wait a minute, DK held up a Congressional Vote??? (0+ / 0-)

I guess we have more power than I ever Imagined!!!!

And voting your parties plank is your obligation. If you can't get there then your constituents elected the wrong representative. They get a gold star, but not a medal... sorry.

•  OKAY.. the OTHER DK.....my bad.. however (1+ / 0-)
                  Vtdblue

here we go back to the fundamental perception..
                  The Drug companies and the Insurance companies got what they wanted before the "negotiations" even began.
                  So we are playing with the same loaded deck as the other side of the aisle.

And Democrats like Ms. Lincoln for example, were I'm sure championing that bit of trivia. Sure, they stuck their necks out.. if you can call it that.
                  HCR is a start,.. Kucinich is a believer, God bless him.

Let me guess.. you aren't a big fan of Anthony Weiner either.

THIS DK (site) must just make your blood boil.

•  I really like Weiner, what I've heard of him (0+ / 0-)

Saw him on TV on you tube too. Smart and sharp. Heck I like DK's speachifying, but he does need to think of others, not his own grandstanding. Nice wife.

"slip now and you'll fall the rest of your life" Derek Hersey 1957-1993

by ban nock on Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 05:32:35 PM PDT

•  Kucinich is not a man of tact and because of that (0+ / 0-)

I suspect he doesn't have a lot of friends in D.C.

Weiner was very clear about his position regarding HCR. His main point was that the insurance companies add ZERO value to the process of providing health care to Americans. Even Scarborough appreciated his directness, while  I'm sure his head was exploding at attempting to remove the profit motive.

•  They felt they had to appease (0+ / 0-)

thanks to that convenient wiretapping law. Never forget that...

by o the umanity on Mon Nov 01, 2010 at 07:39:15 AM PDT

•  And the media noise does not help Democrats (1+ / 0-)
      Dumbo

get their message out there.  The media has had a narrative for over a year now that Democrats are going to lose big and Obama is unpopular and too liberal. We hear it everyday and not just on Fox.