View Diary: Breaking: War Breaks out in Florida as recount in Gov race likely! (156 comments)

•  compared to what? (11+ / 0-)

Ohio?
    Pennsylvania?
    etc. etc.

Republicans===the party of the 1% rich people in America. Or in other words..The Party of NO!

by jalapeno on Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 09:50:24 PM PDT

•  Yeah, compared to them. (3+ / 0-)
      mattman, Bule Betawi, DruidQueen

Florida is definitely worse.

And honestly, I think Florida is the worst place to live in America. It even beats New Jersey. And I grew up in New Jersey and fled as far away from it as I can get in the continental US.

"Think. It ain't illegal yet." - George Clinton | http://ideaddicted.blogspot.com

by jbeach on Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 10:10:23 PM PDT

•  I am not fond of Florida... (10+ / 0-)

but there are many places I believe are worse than here. There are lots of really nice people here, lovely winter weather, pretty flowers, the ocean, beaches, beautiful old oaks...

New Jersey? Ewww..sorry. ;) I wouldn't live in Detroit or New Jersey or a host of other places for anything. I guess it all depends on what you like.

•  I think Carlsbad, NM is lovely (8+ / 0-)

Unfortunately, so do a lot of bigoted Republican voters.

"Unlike every other nation in the world, the United States defines itself as a hypothesis and continues itself as an argument." - Lewis Lapham

by Miep on Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 10:22:08 PM PDT

•  Love New Mexico....but... (5+ / 0-)

Unless you want to live in the heart of a city, you are probably going to find conservatives everywhere. I don't find all the Florida conservatives to be that bad..most of the educated ones are not teabaggers. Many people here also do not vote here but vote back at their winter home. They are not so bad. :)

I never would have thought Wisconsin a teabagger state either but it goes to show you that you never know.

•  As a relative newcomer to Florida (2+ / 0-)
              FarWestGirl, Miep

I was a bit surprised at the difference in support for Sink between the eastern and western Panhandle.  I'm not surprised that Leon county (where I live) went heavily for Sink (it is home to 3 institutions of higher education and a larger number of state government employees) or neighboring Gadsen County which is majority African American.

What did surprise me was that the surrounding counties which are highly rural were all split about 50/50.  In the grand scheme of things the number of votes in these counties in miniscule but hanging out in/on the beautiful forests, swamps, and coastlines of this area is a big part of the reason we moved here and it does cheer me to think that the people living there aren't quite as regressive as I had feared.

In contrast counties further west in the Panhandle went for Scott in a landslide.  The number of Republicans skyrocketed when you crossed the Apalachicola River.

"We are normal and we want our freedom" - Bonzos

by matching mole on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 05:09:06 AM PDT

•  Lovely? Just drove through there. Nah. n/t (0+ / 0-)
            •  no, you drove down route 285 (0+ / 0-)

I wrote unclearly. Carlsbad itself is not an attractive town. But it's not a very big town, and once you get outside its 16 square miles or so, you get into rural areas and then desert.

There is a lot of mining going on, which isn't pretty either. But there are a lot of wilderness areas that are still unspoiled; two national parks and a lot of national forest. This area has a lot going for it if you like wild desert, but you do have to drive to get to it.

by Miep on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 04:28:50 PM PDT

•  also, aside from immediate aesthetics (0+ / 0-)

it's pretty quiet here, the crime rate is low, the homeless population is low, and usually the air is clean (though not always, alas, because of the oil and gas mining).

Much better than Artesia, though.

And I personally like the weather a great deal.

by Miep on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 04:30:03 PM PDT

•  no F***in way! (1+ / 0-)
        kyril
      •  Seriously? (2+ / 0-)
        matching mole, indres

I'd kill to live in Florida. (Seriously, who do I kill?)

•  you say that now (4+ / 0-)

But unemployment is dreadful, the only people hiring (in Central FL where I am) are theme parks, and part-time service jobs with no benefits don't provide a living wage.  The tax system is extremely regressive, and oh, yeah, there are the hurricanes.  And the bugs.  And gators.  And poisonous snakes.

But other than that, it's paradise.  ;-D

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

by puzzled on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 04:44:17 AM PDT

•  To each his own (5+ / 0-)

The bugs, snakes, and gators are IMHO a great reason to live in Florida (and the manatees, marine life, live oaks, spanish moss, etc. etc.).

"We are normal and we want our freedom" - Bonzos

by matching mole on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 04:52:33 AM PDT

•  Hurricanes, snakes and gators are fine (4+ / 0-)

Unemployment...well, we've got plenty of that here in WA too. And regressive taxes. I know all about regressive taxes...our initiative to impose a (relatively mild) state income tax failed badly today, so that's at least 2 more years of the state budget relying primarily on sales and sin taxes.

•  Huh? (1+ / 0-)
            kyril

I am in Pinellas County - Treasure Island to be exact.  Have been in Florida over 22 years now.  I might see a mosquito maybe once a month.  I have only ever seen glass snakes which are perfectly harmless and I work outdoors.  Love Bugs spring and fall - they don't bite.  Gators in some lakes/ponds but you learn how to co-exist.  No state tax.  High unemployment but the rest of the country is catching up fast.  Fabulous fall,winter,spring weather.  Hot summers which guarantee swimming daily.  There is no perfect place or everyone would live there.

•  No you wouldn't. (0+ / 0-)

Believe me, this state blows.

It's fucking November and it's 89 degrees with 100% humidity, which means it feels like it's in the 90s somewhere. It's fucking gross. Last year on Dec 25 it was 91 degrees. Seriously. It wasn't a White Christmas. It was a black Christmas, because of the black clouds of mosquitoes.

There are palm trees EVERYWHERE, replacing any actually nice foliage.

The unemployment rate is one of the worst in the country. The cost of living used to be cheap but everything is going up in price, but the only people hiring are, like someone else said, theme parks who pay minimum wage, and you can't live off of minimum wage in this state unless you're married to someone who gets paid more then minimum wage.

Did I mention mosquitoes? Yeah they are freaking ridiculous. Uggh.

The politics are stupid. The Dem Party here is a joke, and our state general votes like old farts and Teahadists do, because they outnumber young people, most of whom have been smart enough to get the hell out of this shithole already.

Our education system is a joke, (of which I am well aware, as I was a teacher at one point) thanks to Jeb's wonderful Every Child Left Behind program. Oh yes, speaking of which, we are the home of Jeb Bush and Rush Limbaugh.

You want to live in Florida? Suit yourself. But I give you two years before you will want to leave.

•  Mosquitoes don't bite me. (0+ / 0-)

So I'm not too worried about them. The only bugs I'm scared of are your giant freakish cockroaches.

Not that worried about education - not likely to have kids.

And 91 degrees is heavenly, as is the full range of Florida temperatures. When I was in the Navy I lived in Pensacola for a summer, and I loved it. Adored it. Even in Pensacola. Miami and Orlando are much nicer.