View Diary: Okay Democrats, Let's Talk About Our Failure And What Next (52 comments)

•  who you callin "we" (3+ / 0-)

kimosabe?

"We" are not feelin' it today, sorry. Dems in power sold us out, threw a huge bunch of us* under the bus, (*teh gay, teachers, sick people, poor people, working people, oppressed peoples,  the tired and hungry) and bailed on the 2008 Party Platform that "we" helped compose.

So really, who is this "we"?

Seems to me "we" were given the boot. Now you think we should get up, dust off and go back & beg them to take us back, so they can dish out more abuse? pffft.

Not. this. time.

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does all the work." ~Mark Twain

by Lady Libertine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 06:40:40 AM PDT

•  If that is how you feel LL okay. The thing is (0+ / 0-)

you'll get less of what you want if you don't move to change things in the Democratic Party.

There is blame to go around for everyone. I just don't think it helps a lot. Let's focus on the why of our losses and figure out how to do better in the future.

Or not as you like.

Getting Democrats together and keeping them that way is like herding cats that are high on meth, through L.A., during an earthquake, in the rain -6.25, -6.10

by Something the Dog Said on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 06:43:09 AM PDT

•  sure (2+ / 0-)

Im not really talking about "blame" here. More... with battered spouse metaphor ... I think we need to quit sitting back and letting them have their way with us. They = the entrenched D leadership, the corporate sellouts.

I do think there needs to be pressure anew both from the inside (you+) and from the outside (me+). I wish it could be a little more... a little less adversarial. We're working toward the same end gains.... results. I dont want to fight "you" (i.e. the party faithful in general, who want to push the party leftward) but I dont want "you" to fight me either.

by Lady Libertine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 06:59:01 AM PDT

•  Well, lets start with you and I. (0+ / 0-)

It is not secret that I think our best chance for victory and change is the Democratic Party. I don't villify those outside the party, I just think that they are using their efforts sub-optimally.

That said, I as long as we are working for the same goals I don't have to agree with everything someone else does.

by Something the Dog Said on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 07:03:23 AM PDT

•  i have said this for most of 42 years of my (1+ / 0-)
            DarkestHour

voting life.

you know what?

the Ds are incompetent and/or bought and there is nothing that can be done with them.

i voted for them this time, to no avail.

if the usa wants to be fascist, there is little to be done about it because the Ds in power also want fascism or they would stand up and articulate what we are facing.

frack them all.

Gaia is heartbroken.

by BlueDragon on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 07:10:42 AM PDT

•  If you really believe that then it seems to me (1+ / 0-)
              Miep

that you are required to fight harder not quit. If you really think that both parties want fascism then it more than just academic, it is life and death.

by Something the Dog Said on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 07:14:14 AM PDT

•  BTDT (0+ / 0-)

Thing is (and I think this is much of the sentiment out there) we tried that. In fact, not only tried it, but we succeeded !!! in 2008.

To quote a rather famous politician: "We won."

Not wanting to "re-litigate" (ha ha thats a joke, Im no debator) the whole thing ... but ... 2008 brought out prog's and youth and people like me (recovering poli-junkies DFH's) in droves. Droves I tell you. We handed the Dem party leaders/pols our carte blanche to get it done. And what did they do with it? Flushed it right down the toilet.

Its a shopping sense thing. I dont have much to put into the kitty. My Voice, my Vote. I cannot afford to 'spend' them foolishly or frivolously or just hand them out freebies to people who will just use me again and again and yet fail to deliver... time after time.

No more.

by Lady Libertine on Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 07:24:34 AM PDT

•  very good diary (0+ / 0-)

You posted right after some of us went to bed, but I have you bookmarked.

I would add that we have some terrible economic shit coming down that even a Democratically held House would have found difficult. Thus, the argument to move to the left is even stronger, because of the need to make them own it - voters and Republican reps both. The more we try to work with them, to compromise, the more we are going to get tainted by all the upcoming pain (which is same as the current pain only more and more varied).

But it will take some spine and willingness to gamble. This would have been easier if they hadn't picked off two of our best people. Also the census-related gerrymandering push is going to be a bitch.

The mainstream press WILL try to blame whatever happens on Obama. Regardless of how any of us feel about Obama, it's really important to put paid to any lies they and the Republican corporate shills come up with (and there will be many).

"Unlike every other nation in the world, the United States defines itself as a hypothesis and continues itself as an argument." - Lewis Lapham

by Miep on Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 12:16:59 AM PDT