View Diary: The "Kill the Gays" Bill is Coming Back (94 comments)

•  just remember who elevated him to (4+ / 0-)
    slatsg, equern, commonmass, pyegar

the unofficial position of Preacher to Change-Has-Come-to-America.

•  no offense but I think he had that (5+ / 0-)
      fabucat, sfbob, JWSwift, JesseCW, commonmass

position before the President and his transition team thought "oh, this guy's popular. Let's invite him to the Inauguration," which was a really bad idea, Mr. President.

It's like we're all part of some avant-garde role playing story called "The Election" by Franz Kafka.

by terrypinder on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 12:15:14 PM PST

•  I was disgusted. I'll tell you what also (14+ / 0-)

disgusted me: they broadcast Rick Warren's prayer, but not that of the Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Bishop of New Hampshire and a real man of peace and integrity. Gene Robinson, by the way, is retiring in 2013. Because he has been exhausted by the pressure of, among other things, having to wear a bulletproof vest every time he steps outside.

"I'm not threatened by your post-secondary education"--sign seen at Restore Sanity Rally

by commonmass on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 12:17:43 PM PST

•  HUGE shame about Gene Robinson (5+ / 0-)

I'm not a religious person myself, but it sure seems like a huge loss for him to feel he has to give up his career AND his calling.
          Linkyfor more info.

Never has so much been taken from so many by so few for so long...

by JWSwift on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 02:11:20 PM PST

•  It is. I was at his consecration. (5+ / 0-)

The first woman bishop in the Episcopal Church, the Rt. Rev. Barbara Harris of the Diocese of Massachusetts (a great lady) had to wear a bulletproof vest to her consecration, too.

I know Gene. It's a damned shame. And he is so beloved by his diocese. BUT: just because he retires does not mean that he gives up his seat in the House of Bishops (though I'm not sure about how that effects his vote, I forget) and he remains a Bishop for life.

by commonmass on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 02:28:07 PM PST

•  i am heartbroken about +Gene (2+ / 0-)
              JWSwift, commonmass

at first I thought he was retiring because he had reached the mandatory retirement age, and I was thinking he didn't look old enough to retire.

then I found out that it was because of bigotry and death threats that have not abated even though he has been serving faithfully now for years.

as of right now, retired bishops have the same vote as active bishops.  But the hatred in some quarters is so strong that I would not be surprised if someone tried to amend this just to keep +Gene from voting.

it is literally a damned shame.

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."
              On to November 6, 2012!

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 04:04:13 PM PST

•  Yeah, I know. (1+ / 0-)
                TrueBlueMajority

I think 70 is the mandatory retirement age. And I thought they could still vote, thanks for clarifying that. I feel dumb, I've been a deanery rep and a Diocesan Convention rep and I should know these things but it has been a while.

by commonmass on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 04:45:21 PM PST

•  when Bishop Barbara retired at 72 (1+ / 0-)
                  commonmass

that was the first I realized there even was a retirement age!  I think it's 72.  There are so many retired bishops serving in churches around here that I didn't even realize they were required to retire.

So in retirement he can still have his ministry--he just won't be the Bishop of new Hampshire.  And he will start receiving his pension.

But my greatest fear is that retirement may not stop the death threats...

On to November 6, 2012!

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 04:54:22 PM PST

•  Gene preached at the installation (1+ / 0-)
                    TrueBlueMajority

of our Rector at SJE Bowdoin Street Boston when he ws still Canon for Evangelism in NH. That's when I first met him. Great man. Solid, social-justice oriented Anglo-Catholic who can preach, teach and knows his way around the kind of precious liturgy very few Episcopalians ever see, let alone engage in. I was very impressed. Then, he was elected Bishop of NH. So, Fr. M. invited him to preach Gay Pride Evensong at SJE. Unbelievable turnout. I consider him a friend of my home parish, and a personal acquaintance, and a great Bishop. His voice, along with that of the very opposite (theologically) Jack Spong, will continue to influence Anglicanism long after his retirement.

I had the opportunity, while handing Gene a copy of my Mag and Nunc that was written for that evensong I talked about, to tell him that never, in my life, was I prouder to be an Episcopalian. I stand by that.

Join CM and Co. for AWARDS PLUS EDITION diary each Wed. at 8pm ET.

by commonmass on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 05:14:09 PM PST

•  he impressed me also (1+ / 0-)
                      commonmass

i met him and heard him speak at All Saints Parish in Brookline when they gave him the Justice and Spirituality Award.  He was already bishop then, and All Saints asked the Brookline police to be on hand in case protesters showed up, but none did.

This is a wonderful description of him:

I agree that he will continue to influence the church.  I wish he were not being forced out by circumstances in this way, but I am looking forward to the writing and speaking he will do in his retirement.

I just hope that he and his husband get the peaceful life they deserve after the headlines quiet down.

On to November 6, 2012!

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 07:15:41 PM PST

•  Much worse than that. (6+ / 0-)

I certainly didn't see Obama repudiating Rick Warren, did you?

• Recommended (129)
  • Republicans (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Education (22)
  • Law (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Congress (17)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site