View Diary: Why I'm no longer supporting Daily Kos Updated (302 comments)

•  I think a lot of men are tone deaf about sexism (0+ / 0-)

because it's systemic in their own society, systemic in their language, and they don't realize how much they are doing gender-role-enforcement work in furtherence of the Status Quo even when they personally want to be progressive.

Blogger Anglachel has done a lot of blogging about these damaging kinds of memes:

Sorry, but that’s very strange. A few months ago, Olbermann apologized for picturing Hillary Clinton getting beaten up by a bunch of goons behind locked doors. This week, he was picturing Sarah Palin getting cut up into pieces.

I think a lot of this comes from him being a former sportscaster. I mostly like Kieth, but I really don't like it when he slips into viscious winner-take-all-&-that's-how-it-should-be sportscaster language.

It's only half a victory when Change & Civil Rights don't include all persons

by julifolo on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 07:59:20 AM PDT

•  Here (8+ / 0-)

OLBERMANN:  A clarification tonight of something I said here Wednesday, in the wake of Pennsylvania, Howard Fineman observed that the Democrats needed someone to stop their fight like a referee.  "The super-super-superdelegates were going to have to decide this," he said.  My response was, quoting myself, "Right, the one somebody who can take her into a room and only he comes out."

It‘s a pretty common metaphor even just in politics, but it‘s also pretty clear that the pronouns there made that statement inappropriate.  I apologize that generic "he" gender, could imply something untoward happening to the "her."  I should have said: Only the other comes out from a political point of view.

"An uprising of the reasonable is our only chance." - Keith Olbermann

by Diogenes2008 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 08:05:12 AM PDT

•  He never said (11+ / 0-)

that he pictured Hillary Clinton getting beaten up.

That's just somebody changing what he said into their interpretation of it.

I posted what he ACTUALLY said. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?  Actual quotes, backed up by links??

"An uprising of the reasonable is our only chance." - Keith Olbermann

by Diogenes2008 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 08:06:32 AM PDT

•  "take her into a room and only he comes out" (0+ / 0-)

I interpret that as "violence" toward the one who doesn't "come out".

It's only half a victory when Change & Civil Rights don't include all persons

by julifolo on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 08:46:28 AM PDT

•  But see (3+ / 0-)
          FightTheFuture, chicating, ozarkspark

That's YOUR interpretation.

I'm a woman, and I didn't take it that way at all.

But if you parse every single word a person says, you can make up all kinds of shit about what they are "really thinking".

If I sat and talked to you in person for an entire day, I'm sure I could find ALL KINDS of stuff to misinterpret.

Unless you're perfect?  I know I'm not.

"An uprising of the reasonable is our only chance." - Keith Olbermann

by Diogenes2008 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 08:48:57 AM PDT

•  My interpretation (0+ / 0-)

and your interpretation. We disagree.

I don't know about a whole day of conversation, which is a digression, but I do know (another digression) that I get sick to my eyeballs that people continue to defend negative adjetives like "whore" and "pussy" as "valid" and "non-sexist". The gender is embeded in the words! Why aren't words like "nasty" or "untrustworthy" sufficient? I think phrases like "take her into a room and only he comes out" have the same sort of problems.

As I already pointed out above, I was already occassionally put off by Kieth's overly-strong sportcaster-isms, so I wasn't surprised.

It's only half a victory when Change & Civil Rights don't include all persons

by julifolo on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 09:07:04 AM PDT

•  Why does he laugh so hard when runway (0+ / 0-)

models fall so hard on what passes for their asses?
            That is the one gender question I have about KO.
            Do you know he stuck up for the women in a sexual-harrassment suit at ESPN?
            Misogynists don't do that.

"You have three friends in your life: God, your Mama, and the Democratic Party. And I'm not so sure about your Mama." --Alan Grayson

by chicating on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 10:58:57 AM PDT

•  Well, that's just laughing at silliness (2+ / 0-)
              elwior, Diogenes2008

when someone who thinks they're better than anyone gets their comeuppance. It's like when a politician gets hit with a whipped cream pie, or a dude gets hit in the "family jewels" with a Whiffle Ball; if someone is seriously injured, you don't laugh, but if the person gets up and it's apparent the only wounds are to their pride, then no problem with a few giggles.

"When it gets harder to love, love harder" -- Van Jones, NN10, 7/23/10

by Cali Scribe on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 04:43:27 PM PDT

•  I suppose I miss out on (0+ / 0-)

most physical comedy, come to think of it...it's not really how my funny bone's connected.

by chicating on Sun Nov 07, 2010 at 09:52:07 AM PST

•  I'm not a man, and I don't know what (9+ / 0-)

you're talking about.  It honestly never crossed my mind that he was saying someone should beat up Hillary Clinton.

Yall folks take ish too far sometimes!  Geez

•  Keiths statement wasn't sexism, It can apply to (1+ / 0-)
      Diogenes2008

either gender.  Get over yourself.

Obama needs to channel TR+FDR: Walk Softly, Carry a Big Stick and Welcome Their Hatred. Walk Softly, CHECK. Time to get on with the rest already, Barack!

by FightTheFuture on Sat Nov 06, 2010 at 10:46:48 AM PDT